• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How much does a dent devalue a coin?

Drifty

I bought this 2003 10 oz lunar year of the goat coin for £300 on ebay.

The coin was described as excellent condition with no marks, just even toning.

The coin arrived today and there's a dent. I've taken some photos (not good ones) but it's definitely noticable in person.

I'm trying to decide if I should keep the coin, return it, or ask for some money back. 

So how much of an effect does this have on the coin's value and should I keep the coin or return it?

20210128_113221.jpg

20210128_113146.jpg

20210128_113237.jpg

I can’t answer the question on value but I’m guessing you bought this as more of an investment than bullion and any damage will affect it. Collectors of anything modern want mint condition. 
I would return it and reinvest your £300. There are several options in PM for that amount of money 

Yes I bought it as an investment. I though £30 per oz was very reasonable as investment cost for a perth lunar coin with a low mintage. 

It's a lovely looking coin but shame about the damage. I think I will return it and just buy some britannias.

I believe the price you paid was good for the coin, before you send it back I would get confirmation from someone with more knowledge than me on how much (if at all) the dent affects the value. I believe it will affect the value but I cannot tell you how much by. 

Although it's technically a bullion coin, people buy these as collectable items and therefore want perfection.
This defect will affect the price but I don't know enough about them to comment by how much.
Having bought it at that price I assume you will have researched enough to know roughly the going rate for these, and therefore can make a judgement whether you have made a good buy.
Armed with information as to how much it's been devalued, you could first attempt to negotiate a reduction, as you suggest, perhaps returning if you get no joy.
Your photos show a coin without a capsule, did it come in the original cap? This can affect it's value too.
I would imagine you wouldn't be able to see the dent when in a capsule?
Lots of things to consider, hope this rambling hasn't been unhelpful😉

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

This coin is several £'s per ounce over spot + VAT - you were prepared to pay more b/c a 10 oz Perth Mint series I Lunar goat from 2003 would count as a numismatic coin of collector interest. 
With the ding in the rim means it is not as collectible.
Such a coin on gold.de is 447€ and on ebay it is £400 delivery VAT excluded from the USA.

i suspect you have paid quite a lot under what these coins are changing hands for. 
i also suspect you wouldn't have bought it if you had known there was a ding on the rim. i don't think you have been ripped off but the damage may spoilt it for you and you are best to get your money back. 

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Would it put me off buying it possibly given the choice yours or one without a dent I'd pick the one without it perplexes me why people aren't more careful with collectable coins someone has clearly got it out to look at it and dropped it but for £300 your closer to bullion value than a 70 coin 

As a collector myself I'd just send it back, if it was the last one of that set you needed to complete your set I'd take it at not more than £250.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

3 hours ago, Drifty said:

Yes I bought it as an investment. I though £30 per oz was very reasonable as investment cost for a perth lunar coin with a low mintage. 

It's a lovely looking coin but shame about the damage. I think I will return it and just buy some britannias.

To return it looks to be the best move. Hope the seller takes it back without any hassle. 

Maybe worth seeing if you can get it at a reasonable percentage of spot price due to the fact that it has lost numismatic value, then maybe you would feel like you were getting the deal you originally thought.

Albeit, if unhappy with that you should send it back.

Just now, Silversavant said:

Maybe worth seeing if you can get it at a reasonable percentage of spot price due to the fact that it has potentially lost some numismatic value, then maybe you would feel like you were getting the deal you originally thought.

Albeit, if unhappy with that you should send it back.

2 minutes ago, Drifty said:

Thanks everyone for all your views.

We agreed on settling at £250. The coin will go into my collection and if I did end up selling it then the price isn't too far of spot.

Sounds like you got a good deal. 

15 hours ago, Drifty said:

Thanks everyone for all your views.

We agreed on settling at £250. The coin will go into my collection and if I did end up selling it then the price isn't too far of spot.

Definitely a bargain, even at £300, it could have been a good deal with the silver short squeeze attempt in progress. May be next week £300 will be under spot :-) 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived