• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Have i just spotted my first fake on Ebay

VelociteeSteel

3 hours ago, STONE said:

Its not a fake unless the add claims its real. Nowhere in the ad does it claim to be real or .999 fine silver...

Not in the ad text, but the picture clearly shows the words 'fine silver' on the coin. Definitely report it.

• Founder & Administrator
On 26/01/2021 at 21:24, VelociteeSteel said:

As the title says "Have i just spotted my first fake on Ebay" or is this a one-off special, oh and how do you go about reporting?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-United-States-American-Eagle-1-One-Dollar-Silver-1oz-Coin/203260281935?hash=item2f5341c44f:g:3rAAAOSwbHNf4kc6

Thank you for sharing.

There should be a button somewhere to report it. (Attached screenshot is from the eBay mobile app but there should be a similar button on their website)

Unfortunately eBay are not very good at removing listings. And there are so many misleading items, or listings that are to deliberately defraud unsuspecting people.

The real shame is that someone is buying such coins and thinking they are investing for their and their families future but they are just ending up with worthless items.

This “coin” that you have shared is listed as a silver coin in the title and in the description. No idea what it is made from, but I wouldn’t suspect it’s silver as advertised.

Hopefully through adding posts and topics on the forum, more people become aware of such listings on eBay and can then better protect themselves. 

CEF0F07F-B6D4-4D8A-9F8F-B276D762C19C.jpeg

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

6 hours ago, ChrisSilver said:

Thank you for sharing.

There should be a button somewhere to report it. (Attached screenshot is from the eBay mobile app but there should be a similar button on their website)

Unfortunately eBay are not very good at removing listings. And there are so many misleading items, or listings that are to deliberately defraud unsuspecting people.

The real shame is that someone is buying such coins and thinking they are investing for their and their families future but they are just ending up with worthless items.

This “coin” that you have shared is listed as a silver coin in the title and in the description. No idea what it is made from, but I wouldn’t suspect it’s silver as advertised.

Hopefully through adding posts and topics on the forum, more people become aware of such listings on eBay and can then better protect themselves. 

CEF0F07F-B6D4-4D8A-9F8F-B276D762C19C.jpeg

Thanks Chris, my point of the post was to really just make people aware that there are fakes out there, plus this really was my first spotted fake (bit obvious, even to me!).  Your last sentence "Hopefully through adding posts and topics on the forum, more people become aware of such listings on eBay and can then better protect themselves." is the key and if enough people report they might get removed.

You have explained how to report, so others also now know!

15 hours ago, Winchester said:

I buy modern American 90% silver coins.

Has anybody seen any counterfeits of those?

I've heard they are not counterfeited, but nothing is impossible.

I have not heard of any US 90% being counterfeited except for the Morgan and (maybe) the Peace dollars.

Hi not sure what to make of these, alot a PCCB slabs appearing on Ebay ;-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2019-W-Silver-Eagle-1-OZ-999-Silver-Coin-COPY-/274670561898?hash=item3ff3a42a6a%3Ag%3AH7UAAOSw229gGvU5&nma=true&si=RUvIQObUoSfOSOTtNBRwN6zfuKk%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2019-W-American-Silver-Eagle-1-OZ-999-Silver-Coins/224340478349?hash=item343bbc098d:g:0XAAAOSwYoxgHTye

Not sure what % if any are fake however would be wary of these, as  both above have same serial number. 

Another thing to look at is they are not all perfect 70's

That thing is dog rough.

687952023_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.5826c1f27a7afe01a2ea1080884f7369.jpgs-l1600.thumb.jpg.4a06df20411df4f3de2801db90cc984d.jpg

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

10 minutes ago, Wampum said:

As fake as fuff.

Look at the wings of the eagle - look at a real ASE feathers - in this fake the feathers are featureless. 
These blighters are playing on the scramble for silver and the naïve are getting suckered in.

image.png.2ab74c34eb03f4ca210a55198f5a0547.png

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

1 hour ago, Wampum said:

Hi not sure what to make of these, alot a PCCB slabs appearing on Ebay ;-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2019-W-Silver-Eagle-1-OZ-999-Silver-Coin-COPY-/274670561898?hash=item3ff3a42a6a%3Ag%3AH7UAAOSw229gGvU5&nma=true&si=RUvIQObUoSfOSOTtNBRwN6zfuKk%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2019-W-American-Silver-Eagle-1-OZ-999-Silver-Coins/224340478349?hash=item343bbc098d:g:0XAAAOSwYoxgHTye

Not sure what % if any are fake however would be wary of these, as  both above have same serial number. 

Another thing to look at is they are not all perfect 70's

Atleast one of the listings does say it's a copy in the description, which is against Ebay rules, so perhaps that was why it was ended.

I have to say though, you did well to spot both slabs having the same serial number, i wouldn't have spotted that!

15 hours ago, sixgun said:

As fake as fuff.

Look at the wings of the eagle - look at a real ASE feathers - in this fake the feathers are featureless. 
These blighters are playing on the scramble for silver and the naïve are getting suckered in.

image.png.2ab74c34eb03f4ca210a55198f5a0547.png

s-l1600 (2).jpg

They are really bad, the trouble is with slabs, people don't actually see the coin,  all they see is the "security tags" and and the plastic,

and think it's real. it's only a few months later that they see it's a con.

14 hours ago, VelociteeSteel said:

Atleast one of the listings does say it's a copy in the description, which is against Ebay rules, so perhaps that was why it was ended.

I have to say though, you did well to spot both slabs having the same serial number, i wouldn't have spotted that!

Good for Ebay to have taken it down, I only spotted the same serial number as I had never seen slabs with a security feature that covered the coin, seemed counter intuitive to cover what should be displayed, hopefully newer collectors won't get caught out with these.    

Archived