• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014.ย Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topicย posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :)ย happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads.ย 

Would like some options please ๐Ÿ˜‡

Dking90

On 17/01/2021 at 10:03, Liam84 said:

It's a lovely piece, who poured it?

What are you looking for in the way of "options"?

Sorry I have only just seen your message :Dย I poured, hammered and antiqued it ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป I could sell it if your interested ๐Ÿ˜

37 minutes ago, Dking90 said:

Sorry I have only just seen your message :Dย I poured, hammered and antiqued it ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป I could sell it if your interested ๐Ÿ˜

It's a wonderful piece, you've got talent. I'm not one for buying art pieces currently (unless it's a gift for someone), but I'm sure if you put it in the trade section with a price it would sell pretty quickly, there are plenty of collectors of such things on TSF ๐Ÿ˜ย Have you had it hallmarked?ย 

i expect it would be illegal to sell this in the UK. It would be difficult to pass this off as bullion and if it isn't bullion it must be hallmarked if you sell it.

i expect @BackyardBullionย would agree with this opinion.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose.ย 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsingย economy.ย Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

6 hours ago, Liam84 said:

It's a wonderful piece, you've got talent. I'm not one for buying art pieces currently (unless it's a gift for someone), but I'm sure if you put it in the trade section with a price it would sell pretty quickly, there are plenty of collectors of such things on TSF ๐Ÿ˜ย Have you had it hallmarked?ย 

Thank you. Itโ€™s one of my first pours, Itโ€™s not hallmarked as I just made it for fun :)ย these are my first and second pours ๐Ÿ˜19A67A3E-5678-4C87-92E2-BBCB53500A5C.thumb.jpeg.ff6d222599660a56ff682d4b35913254.jpeg39AB9CBB-9E62-4D34-BCD3-6495EBF22858.thumb.jpeg.0978408199a9f1c814df084fcd51f7fa.jpeg

4 hours ago, sixgun said:

i expect it would be illegal to sell this in the UK. It would be difficult to pass this off as bullion and if it isn't bullion it must be hallmarked if you sell it.

i expect @BackyardBullionย would agree with this opinion.

Even if youโ€™ sell it as art?ย 
๐Ÿง

48 minutes ago, Dking90 said:

๐Ÿง

Very nice pieces my friend! I especially like the YouTube play button piece ๐Ÿ˜‰

Regarding hallmarking: The YouTube play button and hammer will 100% need to be hallmarked if you want to sell them. The hammered button round is less clear as to whether it could be passed off as a bullion product or simple round.ย 

Hallmarking legislation applies to everyone, even the people that buy your items after you have sold them initially. It is especially applicable to items that are considered artwork. Really the only items that don't need hallmarking are bars and rounds that are just "bullion" or raw material.ย 

There are many different opinions on what constitutes a "round" or "bar" including the finish, I would suggest contacting an assay office if you are unsure.

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver:ย http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channelย 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

ย 

i would say all three pieces i can see on this page are clearly 'art' pieces. A significant amount of work has been carried out to make the piece a decorative piece. These are not bullion.
How many careful hammer blows were delivered to the hammer finished roundel? Then it was antiqued.ย 
What price is the piece being sold at or hoped to be sold at above the cost of silver to the maker of the piece?

My estimation is that quite a lot of time was spent on the finish and appearance of the pieces. i expect if you were to damage the finish and appearance of that piece you wouldย significantly affect the value. That's because people are buying themย as an art piece.
You posted here to ask what do members think of your work? You wanted to know if members think they look good. These are art pieces. They are made and would be sold as art pieces not simply as lumps of silver.ย 

If you want to keep the pieces for yourself or sell them to customers outside the UK there is no need for hallmarking. Otherwise you need hallmarking. You might get away with it for a while but if you made a success of what you do then it would eventually come back to bite you.

PS. i think you have the makings of making your work a success - if you want to take it further start thinking about your hallmark.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose.ย 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsingย economy.ย Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

2 hours ago, Dking90 said:

๐Ÿง

If when you sell them you do not advertise them as silver. Silver never comes into it. But you took the time to stamp 999 on them. Is that a reminderย of the emergency services telephone number or is it b/c it is 999 silver?
i am making a joke of it but there is no way round this - these are 999 pure silver art pieces and so have to be hallmarked if sold in the UK.

4 minutes ago, sixgun said:

If when you sell them you do not advertise them as silver. Silver never comes into it. But you took the time to stamp 999 on them. Is that a reminderย of the emergency services telephone number or is it b/c it is 999 silver?
i am making a joke of it but there is no way round this - these are 999 pure silver art pieces and so have to be hallmarked if sold in the UK.

Itโ€™s a shame as that will drive up the cost but makes sense to keep everyone safe of the legitimacy of the silver quantity ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป I may just keep them for myself ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

thank you for your timeย 

@sixgun

andย 

@BackyardBullion

Now let me post a post recently made by @StBeesSilver

Since this topic was posted I have registered with a hallmarking company and also sought information from two other assay offices in relation to bars and hallmarking as it is mostly bars that I produce.ย 

All three assay offices were unanimous in their repliesย to the question,ย  does a silver hand poured and hammered bar require hallmarks?

In short - no.

A bar is a bar irrespective of its price, of how it was made, how long it took to make and also its aesthetics.ย 

A bar is a bar.

As assay companies, I would believe that their knowledge of the law in respect to silver bars is sound, and not based on 'interpretations', and , ' in my opinions'.

As to any other type of poured silver, figures etc, then all I could offer is my opinions but the law doesnt take those into account.ย 

I would suggest that anyone wanting some clarification about such items should do as I have done and ask the horse.ย 

I do agree that hallmarking is aย ย valuable asset to any silver and any manufacturer of silver items and does indeed provide the customer with a high level of peace of mind, and was always my goal to have them, which I now do. A proud moment for me. Small things.

Happy new year to all, I hope it's a better one than last.ย 

SBS๐Ÿ™‚

Now i disagree with this - but SBS says he has spoken to assay offices.

No it is not per say the silver being in the shape of a bar which exempts it from having to be hallmarked. The shape is irrelevant. What does the Hallmarking Act 1973 say about pieces of silver that are exempt from hallmarking?

7. Any raw material (including any bar, plate, sheet, foil, rod, wire, strip or tube) or bullion.

The silver can be inย many shapes - a bar, a flat plate, a rod, etc etc. It is that the silver is produced and sold as RAW MATERIAL. A decorative piece someone has worked on for hoursย to look nice which happens to be in the shape of a 'bar' is not sold as raw material.

So is it bullion? i say no it is not bullion - is the bar or whatever being sold simply for its weight in silver? Why the devil hammer itย 100's of times, antiqued it and sell it at a big premium to spot if it is just bullion? We know what bullion silver bars look like and that is not a hammered piece that has been antiqued to look nice - they have the brand, weight, purity stamped on but they are not intended to be a decorative piece. i would say the three assay offices are misinterpreting the legislation. But they are the assay offices and what they say legally counts a lot more than me.

The best way round this is like StBeesSilver to contact the local assay office with photos of the pieces and ask them. Then keep the reply for your records.

Archived