• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Question about ASE in case

ssvp

I recently ordered some American Silver Eagle's and I was surprised when they showed up in sealed plastic cases. As far as I am aware these have no numismatic value and are only worth their weigh in silver. I have attached some pictures here, could someone explain what these cases are? To me they look like collectors cases but I dont think it makes sense to have generic ASE's in there. Is it ok to remove these from the cases? I was planning on starting a tube of ASE's so I think I would rather put them in there. Plus I cant test or hold them when they are in these cases. Not even sure how to get them out...the cases look like they somehow don't open. Do I need to cut them open with wire cutters or something? There are also numbers and a bar code on the cases, what does that mean? Thanks

20210109_004438.jpg

20210109_004423.jpg

This has been graded and slabbed so is worth more than a standard bullion ase. Keep it in the slab to preserve it's value and just buy loose coins from a dealer in the meantime.

I thought I was buying loose coins actually (didn't say anything different on the site), I think I paid a regular bullion premium for these and not anything extra for the grading or anything. Maybe I got a good deal...weird that the dealer didn't know that these are worth more though. How much more are they worth than regular bullion? Is this First Strike company a reputable grading company?

1 minute ago, ssvp said:

I thought I was buying loose coins actually (didn't say anything different on the site), I think I paid a regular bullion premium for these and not anything extra for the grading or anything. Maybe I got a good deal...weird that the dealer didn't know that these are worth more though. How much more are they worth than regular bullion? Is this First Strike company a reputable grading company?

First Strike means they were first out of the press at the mint when these were being released for that year. If you paid a regular bullion premium for this then you've done ok. The highest grade would be MS70. There are forum members who know grading far better than I do, I've only got two slabbed coins in total. You might decide to get into grading eventually, by either getting your own coins graded or buying them from others.

Have a look around the threads on the forum to get an idea, plenty of knowledge here to help you.

As others have said KEEP THESE IN THEIR CASES.
They are not meant to be opened.
If you paid regular price then be happy but all depends on from whom and what they actually cost you as prices vary tremendously across the dealers and coin sellers.

I have a box of these First Strike ASEs and only value them at the regular bullion price plus maybe £2 extra if anyone is willing to pay the higher price.
They do take up valuable space in storage for minimal value though.
Nearly all ASEs sent for grading achieve grade MS69 so that's standard.
A fair percentage also achieve MS70 which is more desirable amongst collectors but still only a marginal improvement in price.
If selling on eBay you might find in a last minute competitive bidding situation someone will bid more but then you have eBay and PP fees to reduce your price.

5 hours ago, ssvp said:

I recently ordered some American Silver Eagle's and I was surprised when they showed up in sealed plastic cases. As far as I am aware these have no numismatic value

True, there is no numismatic value but 1 in a 100 buyers "might" like the slabbed case.

I just did a search on Ebay (USA) of sold listing for a slabbed 2006 ASE and the buyers paid anywhere from $28USD to about $35USD...Of course the seller only received a portion of those proceeds so if you want to take it out that slab it won't really cost you anything.  I can't imagine in my wildest dreams why someone would want a slabbed MS-69 common ASE but there might be handful of people out there that do.   We all stack differently and it is all good!

I would crack it open, pull the coin out and drop it in my tube and start filling it with more 😉 

7 hours ago, ssvp said:

Is this First Strike company a reputable grading company?

The coin is graded by PCGS which some would say is the most reputable grading company out there.

I can't say I am a fan of their slabs.  But the coin will be well protected in there.

Archived