• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Just had to pay £120 VAT on silver

EX7EY

Hi all. New to the forum and new to investing in silver. 

This was not what I wanted to post as my first post but I just received delivery of 20 silver coins ordered from silver to go on 31/12/2020 and I had to pay £120 in VAT charge to the UPS driver to get my package. 

Not the best start for me in terms of investing. 

Is this actually a thing now due to brexit and could I have simply avoided this by ordering from within the UK? 

Im a little devastated to be honest! 

The Ebay items from UK appear now to charge taxes like the ones I see from US. This happens only when the seller is using the Ebay's own shipping program though (I am in Ireland).

InkedCapture Anguilla_LI.jpg

Instagram: gildeon_67

24 minutes ago, EX7EY said:

This was not what I wanted to post as my first post but I just received delivery of 20 silver coins ordered from silver to go on 31/12/2020 and I had to pay £120 in VAT charge to the UPS driver to get my package. 

Is this actually a thing now due to brexit and could I have simply avoided this by ordering from within the UK? 

Ouch, you have my sympathies.

On the other hand, I think everyone on this forum would have advised you not to leave it so late to order silver from the EU.

All may not be lost however. I would think you would have a good case for reclaiming the VAT from Border Force on the grounds the purchase was made before the end of the EU regulations.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

That is a bitter pill to swallow. I have some coins coming in from Europe waiting to see how much the tax man is going to try and take from me. Going to try for the 5% VAT code and see what they say.

You might have a shout at reclaiming the VAT as they were ordered while we were in the transition period.

1 minute ago, Fadeingstar said:

That is a bitter pill to swallow. I have some coin coming in from Europe waiting to see how much the tax man is going to try and take from me. Going to try got the 5% VAT code and see what they say.

Me thinks that (knowing HMRC) it will be 20%  plus import charges

4 minutes ago, Fadeingstar said:

That is a bitter pill to swallow. I have some coins coming in from Europe waiting to see how much the tax man is going to try and take from me. Going to try for the 5% VAT code and see what they say.

You might have a shout at reclaiming the VAT as they were ordered while we were in the transition period.

I think there will be no case for reclaiming VAT even if the purchase was before 1st January if the goods had not been dispatched before 1st January according to the .gov website

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/ongoing-customs-movements-and-procedures-at-the-end-of-the-transition-period

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

I take full responsibility by the way. 

I got a bit ahead of myself and didn't do my own due diligence so it's my fault of course. 

Just not the best start for me really but lesson learnt I suppose! 

3 minutes ago, Martlet said:

Well that answers the question what happens with orders over £135, courier handles.  Was there an additional handling fee?

I paid £109.19 in import vat and an £11.50 brokerage charge. 

• Founder & Administrator

Welcome to the forum. It is unfortunate that you hadn’t Joined the forum earlier, as there are lots of topics discuss with VAT. The last day to order from coin invest / silver to go was 22nd December 2020. This was posted in the Premium Members lounge along with a discount code for FREE shipping and emails also sent out to those who are subscribed to the newsletter. 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

1 hour ago, ChrisSilver said:

Welcome to the forum. It is unfortunate that you hadn’t Joined the forum earlier, as there are lots of topics discuss with VAT. The last day to order from coin invest / silver to go was 22nd December 2020. This was posted in the Premium Members lounge along with a discount code for FREE shipping and emails also sent out to those who are subscribed to the newsletter. 

Thanks for the welcome. 

That's a real shame as I also paid £20 odd in shipping plus a charge for paying on my debit card ha. 

Oh well, one for the lesson book here obviously! Think silver needs to rise about 30% now before I break even on the investment.

I assume i avoid this tax by simply ordering from a UK based retailer? 

• Founder & Administrator
2 hours ago, EX7EY said:

I assume i avoid this tax by simply ordering from a UK based retailer? 

Silver in the UK should have the VAT already added at the point of sale. If it is a preowned item, the UK dealer may operate under the margin scheme whereby the VAT is only on the margin and not the cost of the whole product. But I am not following what the latest laws are, as currently not buying silver as any spare money I have I invest into the forum. So I am therefore unsure if that margin scheme is still applicable after Brexit as not sure if it was just an EU law or also in UK law. You would need to research.

You can also buy on the forum from other members in the UK. Many members who buy and sell regularly on the forum will likely confirm that Premium Membership is a good investment as it allows you to see listings in the trade section 3 days earlier. 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

On 06/01/2021 at 12:41, EX7EY said:

That's a shame. 

I must list some of my stack. £25 per brand new 1oz coin looks cheap now. 

Archived