• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

In the sea for 274 years and graded MS66

dicker

For anyone interested in Spanish coins or shipwreck treasure, this is a fascinating read, and the coin is (to my eyes at least) spectacular.  

From what I have read from other sources the coin was simply sitting on the sea floor waiting to be picked up.

For anyone interested in Spanish “Cobs” Daniel Sedwicks book “The Practical Book of Cobs” is an excellent read - entertaining, informative and an excellent guide for any quest to identify the origin of a Cob.

Best

Dicker

https://www.numismaticnews.net/.amp/world-coins/rare-royal-rocks-at-396000-in-sedwick-auction

783E90D9-7A3D-4412-9A2E-B782F57F2D37.jpeg

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Many excellent books on those who have searched and found treasure from the 1715 Fleet Wrecks and the 1622 wrecks.  Will post on here is anyone is interested.  

Makes me smile when I think of my 1958 Gillick Sov that only made MS63.

Best

Dicker

A good place to start is the Sedwick auditions / website.  Some spectacular coins and their catalogs are a superb reference guide.  

Best

Dicker

1 hour ago, dicker said:

A good place to start is the Sedwick auditions / website.  Some spectacular coins and their catalogs are a superb reference guide.  

Excellent - always looking for new information. Never heard of this website!! Had a quick look. So good!!! LOVE this Forum.

Daniel Sedwick is a gent.  I have emailed him a couple of times with silver 8 reale photos and he has very kindly replied with his views on their authenticity and likely mintage location.  

He is the sort of person who enjoys seeing examples and is happy to share his knowledge.  

Best

Dicker

6 hours ago, campbellgs said:

Love this stuff!! If anyone has any 8 reales or gold Escudos/ Guineas  they are willing to sell, please let me know!! I want to start collecting these types of coins

There is a Spain 4 Escudos 1791 Carlos IV AU , for sell on MA shops for 1099 euro 🤠

19 hours ago, Norskgeld said:

And modern silver coins can't even leave the mint without milk spotting.

And this why I sold out of my majority silver stack to concentrate on gold. Gold simply endures!

You are spot on about that!  

Here is a video of so guys finding 1715 fleet coins just off the beach in Florida.  Worth a watch...

Best

Dicker

https://youtu.be/YbIBgU42TMk

Underwater metal detectors are a whole new level for me. Never mind just snorkels. This is so interesting. I have to admit to feeling a bit sick when they were sticking hands between massive rocks.......imagine the panic if you got lodged and could not move............

If anyone is interested, this is a National Geo documentary about Mel Fisher finding the treasure of the Atocha (sunk 1622).

The treasure recovered was (I believe) worth about USD400 million in 1985.  Consisting of Gold, Silver and Emeralds.  Many numismatic firsts were discovered as part of the recovery of the Atocha, as well as a vast quantity of silver bars and pre-Columbian emeralds.

The documentary is contemporaneous to the the find of the Atocha and is a little dated but is a fascinating watch.

Best

Dicker

8 hours ago, dicker said:

If anyone is interested, this is a National Geo documentary about Mel Fisher finding the treasure of the Atocha (sunk 1622).

The treasure recovered was (I believe) worth about USD400 million in 1985.  Consisting of Gold, Silver and Emeralds.  Many numismatic firsts were discovered as part of the recovery of the Atocha, as well as a vast quantity of silver bars and pre-Columbian emeralds.

The documentary is contemporaneous to the the find of the Atocha and is a little dated but is a fascinating watch.

Best

Dicker

Thanks for posting that will give me something decent to watch instead of the usual guff that’s on the telly. 

Archived