• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1/4 or 1/10 gold coins?

Smoldish

So I have decided I wanna try to invest in gold. Specifically coins because I think they have more cool designs than bars and I like the history behind them. Recently I bought a coin container that has 40 capsules with the black ring for your coins. The came in 8 sizes (17/20/25/27/30/35/40/46mm) and my goal is to fill them up this by the end of next year. What I would like to do is own 20 ounces of silver and capsule them. 10 ASG and 10 fun silver coin pieces. For the rest of the capsules I want gold (10 AGE and 10 fun) in them but I am having a hard time deciding the ratio I want my gold and silver to be. Do I want 10 ounces of silver for every 1 (made of 1/10 coins) ounce of gold or 5 ounces of silver for every 1 ounce (made of 1/4 god coins) of gold? Would it look stupid to have a big capsule for something like a 1/10 gold coin? I like the sound of 1/10 coins because I can most likely buy 1 every month but 1/4ths are bigger so it looks better in a capsule. Plus 1/4th is a less premium I heard when buying I heard. I also heard you can make up a 1/10 premium if you sell it again. I am not looking into the bigger 1/2 or 1 ounces because I hear they are slightly harder to sell fast and 1/20 is not worth your time I am told. I am a new stacker (started when the ASE v75 came out) and would like to hear how you guys approached your silver to gold ratio.

Similar sort of question was recenty asked by the @TheShinyStuff and I can see you're in the US which has a slightly different market to us UK stackers. So maybe a US stacker can offer you better advice but here in the UK gold Sovereigns are by far the most popular fractional gold to stack.

I had the same questions many years ago and decided to go with the 1/10 oz gold - after acquiring about 10 pieces i found that they were just to small to fully enjoy looking at them.  If you plan to look at them and enjoy them - go with the 1/4 oz gold size.

Hope this helps

Pamp

I would agree with the advice above in the sense that if you want to enjoy admiring your coins, go with the 1/4 oz option, even though it will mean that you won't be able to acquire them as often as you would for the 1/10 oz coins.

I have one 1/10 oz gold coin just for curiosity value but wouldn't look to acquire more, given that I can justify buying 1/4 oz coins.

On 11/12/2020 at 02:25, Smoldish said:

So I have decided I wanna try to invest in gold. Specifically coins because I think they have more cool designs than bars and I like the history behind them. Recently I bought a coin container that has 40 capsules with the black ring for your coins. The came in 8 sizes (17/20/25/27/30/35/40/46mm) and my goal is to fill them up this by the end of next year. What I would like to do is own 20 ounces of silver and capsule them. 10 ASG and 10 fun silver coin pieces. For the rest of the capsules I want gold (10 AGE and 10 fun) in them but I am having a hard time deciding the ratio I want my gold and silver to be. Do I want 10 ounces of silver for every 1 (made of 1/10 coins) ounce of gold or 5 ounces of silver for every 1 ounce (made of 1/4 god coins) of gold? Would it look stupid to have a big capsule for something like a 1/10 gold coin? I like the sound of 1/10 coins because I can most likely buy 1 every month but 1/4ths are bigger so it looks better in a capsule. Plus 1/4th is a less premium I heard when buying I heard. I also heard you can make up a 1/10 premium if you sell it again. I am not looking into the bigger 1/2 or 1 ounces because I hear they are slightly harder to sell fast and 1/20 is not worth your time I am told. I am a new stacker (started when the ASE v75 came out) and would like to hear how you guys approached your silver to gold ratio.

Go for sovereigns for tax purposes.

Just now, Chrissyblards1 said:

Go for sovereigns for tax purposes.

On 11/12/2020 at 02:25, Smoldish said:

Sorry just noticed US. I go for sovereigns and brits for tax purposes. Happy Christmas and happy stacking.

On 11/12/2020 at 08:05, Coolsmp said:

Similar sort of question was recenty asked by the @TheShinyStuff and I can see you're in the US which has a slightly different market to us UK stackers. So maybe a US stacker can offer you better advice but here in the UK gold Sovereigns are by far the most popular fractional gold to stack.

I'm not sure how close they come in terms of popularity but certainly the closest coin to (old) Sovereigns in the US are pre 1933 Eagles in the 5USD denomination, roughly a quarter ounce.

I'm not sure about the premiums for 2.5USD pre33 Eagles but they would come close to the asked for 10th ounce, being roughly an eighth ounce.

A tenth ounce in a huge capsule does look a bit ridiculous but so what. What would concern me is that they might rattle and get wear, over time, although if you don't wildly shake them 10 times a day, it should be fine, for ordinary bullion coins.

As for the ratio 1:10 or 1:20 in terms of weight - there is no generic answer and you are likely to change your mind after the first few purchases, anyway. At least that happened to quite a few people on this forum. Just start with something and take it from there. The most important thing is that you buy SOME precious metals on a regular basis, always with at least a certain amount and your stack will nicely grow.

I recently have cared less about price due to the current economic situation and seeing potential in the market. 1/10oz doesn't seem a bad deal to me.

My initial Gold:Silver ratio aim was 1:1000 but now aiming to 1:200 or 1:100. It really varies. You can set a goal but there's no problem in changing it!

Always shipping with re-used or biodegradable packaging.

Looking to sell some items to fund a holiday. I've got some items for sale. PM me or check my profile if interested: Hitler's 3rd Reich 2 Reichsmark Coins, Roman Imperial Denarii and Other silver coins/items.

Archived