• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Valuation of Privy Dog Britannia

Just now, JunkBond said:

@Peacemaker was selling these for £65 in the summer I think.

Cheers @JunkBond Yes I have been selling them at a variety of value from £50 to £120, more recently around £85 plus post but I am happy to honour £65 of you respond in the next hour  @ProjectNeroX  😉😃 plus post 

The hunt is on!

Follow my Morgan dollar quest and watch other video's on my YouTube channel: Peacemaker

3 minutes ago, DarkChameleon said:

I think its like £10 tracking if I'm right as I just covered my Christmas exchange shipping cost from the oldcountry to hear.

Yeh just noticed the prices, more than I thought they would be for <100g package, jeez, lowest postage is insured for £20, £9.xx is insured £50 and £11.xx is insured up to £250image.thumb.png.8e907a439a036827c09fc1995accc178.pngimage.thumb.png.e71ab534d66f96a220c205eb944c3490.png

The hunt is on!

Follow my Morgan dollar quest and watch other video's on my YouTube channel: Peacemaker

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, any opinions on what I should do.. managed to pick a dog privy up for £24, should I just sell it now (seems to be going for £90 average on auction sites) or keep hold of it? Will it be worth more in a few years time if kept in good condition?

16 hours ago, KPW82 said:

Hi, any opinions on what I should do.. managed to pick a dog privy up for £24, should I just sell it now (seems to be going for £90 average on auction sites) or keep hold of it? Will it be worth more in a few years time if kept in good condition?

Do you need the money now?, if you want to keep it then take it to a coin store and see if its worth getting slabbed...my pig privy seems to have the plague of all pig privies in that lizzy tish has scars on her face but still genuine matters.

On 01/01/2021 at 04:50, DarkChameleon said:

Do you need the money now?, if you want to keep it then take it to a coin store and see if its worth getting slabbed...my pig privy seems to have the plague of all pig privies in that lizzy tish has scars on her face but still genuine matters.

Thanks for the reply. No I don't need money now so will hold onto it, just wasn't sure if a flip for £90 was worth it as I only paid £24. Hopefully the value will go up a bit more over time when they become even harder to find.

On 31/12/2020 at 11:55, KPW82 said:

Well done on the dog privy.
I have sat on a tube of Britannia / Horse mules that were fetching well over £100 each ( the first that appeared on eBay were more like £1,000 each ).
Then the market was flooded by some German dealers selling for £50 or less and more recently almost at regular bullion price so the premium has evaporated.
Maybe in 5 - 10 years someone will pay closer to £100 again.

As for the dog privy ( and the pig privy ) these are fetching high prices because there are so few on the market and some people are prepared to pay the asking prices.
I am waiting on the day when the hoarder of both releases them and fingers crossed they follow the trend of the mule.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I have sat on a tube of Britannia / Horse mules that were fetching well over £100 each ( the first that appeared on eBay were more like £1,000 each ).
Then the market was flooded by some German dealers selling for £50 or less and more recently almost at regular bullion price so the premium has evaporated.

As for the dog privy ( and the pig privy ) these are fetching high prices because there are so few on the market and some people are prepared to pay the asking prices.
I am waiting on the day when the hoarder of both releases them and fingers crossed they follow the trend of the mule.

Making me sway towards putting it on Ebay now while the prices are good 😆

12 hours ago, Pete said:

I just paid over £200 for the pig privy and the queens face is scratched up but every one I've seen has the same marks so must be the production method and perhaps why they made so few...its. ot like they can go back and remake them, some for over £300 and still marked up, one was slabbed at ms63 and not marked as scratched as its while minted....I might send mine off and see, its only $40 to get graded, but then it won't fit in my box.

8 hours ago, DarkChameleon said:

I just paid over £200 for the pig privy and the queens face is scratched up but every one I've seen has the same marks so must be the production method and perhaps why they made so few...its. ot like they can go back and remake them, some for over £300 and still marked up, one was slabbed at ms63 and not marked as scratched as its while minted....I might send mine off and see, its only $40 to get graded, but then it won't fit in my box.

I've got a weird thing about them having to fit in my storage box 🤣

10 hours ago, DarkChameleon said:

I cannot reckon with buying a scratched bullion coin for £200 when they were issued at one tenth of this price.
From what I gather this coin was commissioned by a USA buyer who is hoarding them in a pension pot or similar.
Yet there has been a seller in the Channel Islands regularly selling so maybe the odd tube or two is released to those who have access - maybe a backdoor route ?
Anyhow I just hope one day they are dumped and the price crashes to near normal in line with the 2020 privy.
Kind of disgusts me that the Royal Mint broke the opportunity for series collectors to buy the pig.
I think global set collectors should lobby the Royal Mint to issue more dogs and pigs so collectors can complete them and not just sell the entire production to one greedy organisation.

5 hours ago, Pete said:

I cannot reckon with buying a scratched bullion coin for £200 when they were issued at one tenth of this price.
From what I gather this coin was commissioned by a USA buyer who is hoarding them in a pension pot or similar.
Yet there has been a seller in the Channel Islands regularly selling so maybe the odd tube or two is released to those who have access - maybe a backdoor route ?
Anyhow I just hope one day they are dumped and the price crashes to near normal in line with the 2020 privy.
Kind of disgusts me that the Royal Mint broke the opportunity for series collectors to buy the pig.
I think global set collectors should lobby the Royal Mint to issue more dogs and pigs so collectors can complete them and not just sell the entire production to one greedy organisation.

But in 2018 and 2019 nobody wanted them, suppliers were offering them but nobody would order them, they didn't matter andnow I know owners here in the states and Southern England and a couple in the north but all horrendous prices and scratched in the same place,must have been pjss poor minting.

16 hours ago, DarkChameleon said:

But in 2018 and 2019 nobody wanted them, suppliers were offering them but nobody would order them, they didn't matter andnow I know owners here in the states and Southern England and a couple in the north but all horrendous prices and scratched in the same place,must have been pjss poor minting.

I agree with the poor quality control in minting.
They were most likely produced as rounds like ordinary coinage but because silver is relatively soft they bang into one another in a large hopper as they are ejected from the press at high speed. Real pity but the mint doesn't care and that's why they should never be priced higher than a basic round.
I am not sure you are correct in saying no-one wanted the dog and certainly the pig privy and from what I heard the pig was almost exclusively bought by one USA company so was not available for the rest of us. How or why this happened is not known to me but the 2020 was easily available to the mass market and the other privies are abundant and inexpensive by comparison.

5 hours ago, Pete said:

I agree with the poor quality control in minting.
They were most likely produced as rounds like ordinary coinage but because silver is relatively soft they bang into one another in a large hopper as they are ejected from the press at high speed. Real pity but the mint doesn't care and that's why they should never be priced higher than a basic round.
I am not sure you are correct in saying no-one wanted the dog and certainly the pig privy and from what I heard the pig was almost exclusively bought by one USA company so was not available for the rest of us. How or why this happened is not known to me but the 2020 was easily available to the mass market and the other privies are abundant and inexpensive by comparison.

The scratches tend to appear only on the face of qe2...thats too much of a coincidence to be just coins hitting each other, scratches would be all over.

17 hours ago, DarkChameleon said:

The scratches tend to appear only on the face of qe2...thats too much of a coincidence to be just coins hitting each other, scratches would be all over.

Coins piled high in a hopper will rub one another.
The highest points of contact will see the most abrasions and that tends to be QE's cheek.
Other rub marks will not show up so obviously because the radial and mottled background fields are no longer a flat polish ( like earlier coins which would show all fine scratches ) - not an award winning design feature in my mind but a solution around the high occurrence of marks.
Dings, pits and other damage will be caused when edges strike flat surfaces falling from a height.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Coins piled high in a hopper will rub one another.
The highest points of contact will see the most abrasions and that tends to be QE's cheek.
Other rub marks will not show up so obviously because the radial and mottled background fields are no longer a flat polish ( like earlier coins which would show all fine scratches ) - not an award winning design feature in my mind but a solution around the high occurrence of marks.
Dings, pits and other damage will be caused when edges strike flat surfaces falling from a height.

This is the way it looks but the way others look too. No hint of marks anywhere but here.

20210105_104004.jpg

1 hour ago, DarkChameleon said:

This is the way it looks but the way others look too. No hint of marks anywhere but here.

20210105_104004.jpg

Yes that is very common on a lot of bullion silver coins from our Royal Mint - sadly !!
Looks just like the marks on many of my new Queens Beast coins.
These marks cannot be caused from within a tube because there is next to zero lateral movement in a tight tube.
Multiple near parallel lines suggests coins sliding or being pushed on to a conveyor belt or channel that might contain some fine grit, maybe harder metal particulates stuck on a roller ? Poor quality control in any event.

Archived