• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

More than 1,300 Celtic Gold Staters found in a UK buried hoard

Midasfrog

This is such a magnificent sight, thank you for sharing "the scoop" 😊

So... they'd be 2000+ yr old coins... and give or take 0.75-1 million worth... that's a good days' work of metal detecting! 

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 hours ago, Robda1986 said:

Tax man will be very happy with the finder 😒

Yes CGT will apply when either the finders or landowners decide to sell . Not sure how Tax is worked out if a Museum purchases the lot which will probably be the case , it is said to be going through the treasure process at the moment .If the coins were Sovereigns there would be no CGT to pay.

Why can’t they keep their mouths shut and split the loot 50:50??? They deserve to be taxed! 🤦‍♂️

Drip feed your conserved coins onto the market a couple at a time to maximise value. Get them graded at the same time. 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

22 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

Why can’t they keep their mouths shut and split the loot 50:50??? They deserve to be taxed! 🤦‍♂️

Drip feed your conserved coins onto the market a couple at a time to maximise value. Get them graded at the same time. 

It would be nearly impossible to keep a find of this size quite. If found out there would be possible jail terms , heavy penalties also equipment and artifacts removed .

There will probably be some excessively rare new types of stater in the hoard which will be identified by leading experts in Celtic coinage 👍

1 minute ago, KDave said:

Where will these be sold I assume at auction? Should crash the market for these coins in theory, might be worth having a look at getting one. 

They are going through the Treasure Trove process at the moment could take years . Maybe the British Museum will purchase them or a local museum , if not probably off to auction .

My local county museum bought the local finds probably with National funds which there were Celtic gold coins and the Lenborough hoard of silver coins. I took these pictures in February last year a few months after they were put on display after they were found in 2014 and the Celtic gold coins were found between 2006-2007. So the timescale of seeing any historical coins from being found to being put on display could be a few years later.

I wouldn't be surprised if the finders stuck a couple in their pocket to take home.

Celtic gold.jpg

Celtic gold 1.jpg

Celtic gold 2.jpg

Lenborough Hoard.jpg

Lenborough hoard 2.jpg

Probably 5 years ago I came across a very nice gold stater on eBay.

The seller had a few metal detecting find for sale and I asked if the gold stater had been declared and through the PAS (Portable Antiquities Scheme). 

The answer I got back was “no why do you think I’m selling it on eBay”. 

I hate this sort of archaeological vandalism - all credit to those who declare their finds. 

best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

4 minutes ago, dicker said:

Probably 5 years ago I came across a very nice gold stater on eBay.

The seller had a few metal detecting find for sale and I asked if the gold stater had been declared and through the PAS (Portable Antiquities Scheme). 

The answer I got back was “no why do you think I’m selling it on eBay”. 

I hate this sort of archaeological vandalism - all credit to those who declare their finds. 

best

Dicker

I was jesting about keeping a find but the temptation for many would be there. Around my area I've heard of night hawkers finding Roman coins and not declaring them. A neighbour's wife told me her husband found a large gold coin dating back many years but never declared it or said where it came from. He ripped into her when he heard she told me about it. I did see one of his Victorian half sovereigns he found, shield back I recall from land around by a church. I joined a local metal detecting group but know most finds have been long gone to the ones who don't declare finds.

Good practice to record all finds with the PAS . Interestingly though a single gold or silver coin found on its own does not have to be declared.

But single lost coins can build up an interesting pattern for history and there is a data base dedicated just for this purpose . The Early medieval corpus .

Archived