• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Unboxing and full stacks

MrUpwardlyMobile

Hey everyone, I’ve been enjoying the awesome full stack picture thread and some of the unboxing videos.  I was thinking of doing a few such videos with silver purchases going forward.  That got me thinking, do you all check that stuff out too or am I just a crazy person for enjoying the silver purchases of others?

Yeah, I got oz envy too. My unboxing videos are really for myself as an extra measure incase anything isn't correct with the order, but when you see the slick edited videos of 100's oz of silver, gold coins and bars, proofs it looks amazing!

I have wanted to get some really good photos of all my stack but i can't do that at the place where i keep my stack in storage. I'm looking at axial photography i think it's called. That looks crazy good!

16 hours ago, MrUpwardlyMobile said:

unboxing videos and full stack videos always make me want to buy more or different stuff.  
Most of my stack is US junk silver purchased from estate auctions. It’s less showy than gorgeous bars or fancier bullion.

Nothing wrong with junk silver, had $100 face and have 100 oz bar, both pretty good, don't know which looks better, 32 eagles or a 1 kilo bar or $32 in nice none slick junk silver.

I was planning on doing an unboxing but i haven’t had the time. Instead, I took a couple of pictures.

Four 1 ozt Christmas themed bars for the kids. I also bought them tiny treasure chests to put them in that can Easily fit in the safes when they aren’t being enjoyed. I bought those from BGASC for Black Friday.

the $25 in US junk silver and 1ozt round I bought from SD Bullion’s early Black Friday sale.

E40BA7ED-1C7B-4BCB-A55B-26C4812F49C1.jpeg

51731FD9-99E5-493E-81A7-32E462629061.jpeg

On 26/11/2020 at 07:43, MrUpwardlyMobile said:

It’s not a bad idea to do unboxing videos for security purposes. I’ve never had a problem with an order, but that doesn’t mean I will never have an issue. 

For a minute there, I thought you meant a different kind of security issue – the issue of revealing to the world that you have X amount of silver or other PM, right now, in your home. There's one case of a prominent YouTube stacker where I wonder if he got robbed and cleaned out. He is AlohaSilverStacker, and he amassed a heck of a stack over a couple of years, posted tons of unboxing videos and video reviews of his stack, along with tips and so forth. He seemed to have all his silver in his home, then one day he just up and deleted his YouTube account. He's just gone, poof, no explanation or message. That's very unusual for someone who has lots of followers and views, and who was so invested in his YouTube channel.

I know that he was starting to express disappointment at how wrong the silver quacks were regarding the silver price – he seemed to have initially been motivated by some of those kooky silver luminaries who always say that silver is going to climb to $100 an ounce and beyond. So he thought he was going to make a massive profit buying physical silver. Since he's in Hawaii, he probably had to pay extra for shipping, and he likely didn't make much profit at all (maybe a bit at current prices). But he was so public about his stack over such a long period, and his videos suggested that it was all just sitting there in his home, that I wonder if he got cleaned out and deleted his account in frustration and embarrassment.

As far as the security you meant, of documenting what was in a shipment, I'm not sure if it will pan out. Will it be useful in reporting that your dealer shorted you? Maybe, but I wonder if they would say that the video could be a scam, that the package was already opened and then re-taped or whatever, then re-opened on video to falsely document missing silver. Video of only the unboxing wouldn't be definitive in any really high stakes context, since a person could've just emptied and reassembled the package. The video would be missing critical elements, like the hand-off from the carrier's delivery person, then direct seamless video of taking the package from the hand-off to opening it. Without that, they'd have no way of knowing that you didn't previously open the package and reassembled it.

This is related to some systems and procedures I sketched out when I was thinking of becoming a dealer. Ideally on the dealer side there would be seamless video of the boxing of the order, continuing to the sealed package sitting wherever it would be sitting until pick-up by the carrier, then the hand-off to the carrier. Seamless, no gaps. It would probably be expensive and cumbersome if you didn't build it yourself and maybe write some of the software yourself. Lots of dealers use video to document the packaging of the order, but I don't think they have seamless video of the ensuing life of the package through hand-off to the carrier. So their video evidence would have the same limitations in any really high stakes context that the customer's video unboxing has – the dealer wouldn't be able to prove that nothing was removed from the package after their cute little video of the packing stage, in all the hours before the carrier picked it up. There's no seamless chain of evidence.

Archived