• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What are the best Coin capsules for silver coins (1oz, 2oz (QB) )

Medus

• Medus changed the title to What are the best Coin capsules for silver coins (1oz, 2oz (QB) )

I use air-tite capsules , they are my favourite , they make your coins look nice , you can clearly see the coin through the capsule and once the coin is inside the capsule it is nice and secure without any movement , no wobbling hence no scratch or damage caused while the coin in the capsule .

I use this website to buy my capsules :https://www.coingallery.co.uk

they have all sort of capsules , al sizes , their prices are good and they post fast .

Cheaper capsules scratch far too easily but will protect your coins.
Buy the correct size by checking the internal diameters and compare with the diameter of the coin.
A 38.6mm coin will rattle inside a 40mm capsule and a 40.6mm American eagle will not fit a 40 mm capsule.
If storing coins in a coin box with cutouts, some capsules have widely different external diameters and may not fit the cut-outs.

If you are wanting to admire your collection then go for the rimless hard type - American genuine Air-Tites and not other brands using a similar name.
A decent capsule, reasonable price, but not quite the same are the Leuchtturm Premium rimless.
I do not like the normal Leuchtturm ( Lighthouse or Lindner ) caps with rims, other than you can at least get the damn thing open if you want to retrieve your coin.

Intercepts are probably the best since they include an anti-tarnish material in the foam. Pure silver tarnishes, but I think tarnish when stored in a capsule is rare.

Popular brands of basic capsules are Kointain, Lighthouse, Coin Safe, and Air-Tite. I've never encountered a systematic review of the major brands, so it's impossible to say which are best.

Air-Tites are especially popular, but their website provides zero information on the composition or qualities of their capsules. I'm not used to companies not detailing their products. Usually you see pride in their work, details, maybe factory videos, etc., but they've got nothing.

Materials are important because some materials can damage or tarnish the coin long-term. Apparently PVC was a problem in past capsules, so you often see makers touting how they don't use PVC. Acrylic is a popular material now. I'm not aware of any serious research of different materials and their long-term effects on silver, so we're all flying blind, unfortunately. The market for silver coin capsules is apparently small, and there's a profound lack of information and scientific research compared to other types of products.

Be advised that typical capsules can be a b***h to open. I always have trouble with Air-Tites. They're not a well-designed product from that standpoint. It's like they designed a product that encloses coins, and just stopped the design work at that point, not even getting to the task of designing them to be easy for humans to use. A good design would nail all the key factors, like a snaplock or shaped groove for prying them open. I think Intercepts are snaplocks. If you chew your nails or keep them trim you might have trouble opening an Air-Tite, and trying to pry them open with a knife is dangerous.

Archived