• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold coins

CollectorNo1

Hi all

Just wanting a view on buying..

I'm looking at buying a 1oz gold coin and was thinking of the obvious...a Britannia...

But I would like your views on whether this would be the best purchase..ASE,MAPLES etc seem to be around the same price..or would it be better to buy a 1oz bar..or even 1 or a couple of nice sovreigns instead...

Which would be the best..investment wise

Your thoughts and views would be appreciated 

Thanks in advance.

Depends what your aims are and your preferences. A Britannia is probably likely to give you slightly better value for money as usually they are sold at closer to spot price of gold. Sovereigns are likely to be sold with a slightly higher premium (and possibly cost you a little more to buy), but give you more flexibility if you want to sell some but not all of your 10z of gold at some point in the future. Some people also think sovereigns are easier to sell quickly as more people can afford to buy them (various camps of thought on that). Ending on a positive both Sovs and Brits are CGT exempt!

Personally I dont treat gold as an investment as it doesnt earn dividends and I'm not flipping highly collectable coins for a profit. For me its more about hedging my actual investments and buffering my cash savings against significant inflation/negative savings rates if this occurs. Plus its shiny and its nice to hold onto something physical at the moment 😁!

Thanks for your comments

I've been buying sovreigns..and silver for around a year..not looking to flip..I buy to keep as another add on to my pension. 

So I'm holding on to everything for 5-10 years before I sell....unless something happens where I have to sell..fingers crossed that's not going to happen...

Cn1

• Founder & Administrator

@CollectorNo1 I have hidden your duplicate topic with the same content but different title.

If you wish to edit the title of this topic you may do so by pressing on the 3 dots and then the edit button, not forgetting to then press save. Please however do not create duplicate topics. 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I recently bought my first gold Britannia - the 2021 bullion version. If you decide to stick with your decision to buy a Brit, you may have a particular design in mind.

Whilst the waves background on the 2021 coin looks good, the additional hologram security feature looks very poor. It’s too small to recognise the hologram images with the naked eye in my opinion and therefore spoils the overall beauty of the coin. The Mint do not need to over complicate an already attractive design.

Make your choice and I hope you enjoy your purchase.

On 23/11/2020 at 19:30, CollectorNo1 said:

Thanks for your comments

I've been buying sovreigns..and silver for around a year..not looking to flip..I buy to keep as another add on to my pension. 

So I'm holding on to everything for 5-10 years before I sell....unless something happens where I have to sell..fingers crossed that's not going to happen...

Cn1

the advantage of sovereigns is that during a crisis you can sell a quarter ounce of gold at a time, thus

limiting your risk and commitment to sell. this would buy you time to gather more data and re-assess

the situation. low premiums, high liquidity in a small package is worth it's weight in gold :) .

variety is the spice of life but the safest choices are often the least exciting.

HH

Thanyou for advice

I have a few sovreigns different sizes...I just want to treat myself so to speak..and buy a 1oz gold coin...different selections options I guess it comes down to personal preference. 

It will probably be a Britannia as I live in the UK 👍🙂

Cn1

@CollectorNo1 I have a 2016 Brit for sale at the moment, its on for £1,400 plus postage but I will knock £10 off just for you, send me a message if you are interested.

Mox Metals Logo Small.jpg  moxmetals.co.uk

Ethically sourced, 100% recycled .999 silver bars & other precious metal coins, bars and collectables.

(Mox, crowned The Silver Forums number one hairy chest in the Northwest - as voted for by @CazLikesCoins, a lady who's seen more than her fair share, allegedly...)

Archived