• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2021 Britannia and Eagle redesigns

Bimetallic

Hi all – The Royal Mint redesigned the Britannia for 2021, and the US Mint redesigned the Eagle. The new Brits are apparently already shipping, while the Eagles won't be out until midyear. I wanted to share some shots and thoughts, and get your opinions.

The Brits look fantastic, with four new security features, including these fine wave patterns, and fine textured dimpled surface around the old lady on the other side.

The Eagle, on the other hand, looks surprisingly terrible. There are two issues. First, the only images I've seen are strange artifacts that don't look like photos. Rather, they look like cartoons or sketches. I'm not sure what these images are, exactly, in terms of how they were created, if they started as photos, etc.

Second, the design quality looks more appropriate for a random round issued by a smaller private mint, not something we'd expect from a major government mint. It looks really cheap and crude. Is it possible that this is due entirely to the strange non-photographic images that they released?

I don't know what security features the US Mint added – none are visible. Did they really not incorporate the field features that are becoming standard? (The Maples, and now the Britannias have radial lines or waves. Do the Aussie coins have them now too?)

I'm embarrassed by the US Mint at this point. They're falling behind lots of other national mints. The Canadians implemented security features, rigorously researched milk spots, and developed a milk spot prevention technology. The British now have multiple, gorgeous security features with a gorgeous design. The Canadians, Australians, and British have all moved on to 9999 fine silver (only part-way for the British).

The US Mint has done none of these things, and essentially nothing else, and is apparently going to release an inferior design. And they don't innovate in their circulation coinage either, wasting millions of dollars a year making coins out of absurdly expensive nickel and copper, whereas the Canadian and British mints developed innovative plated steel technologies that they use to make coins for dozens of other countries. It's a bummer to have such a lazy mint, and it parallels our ugly and easily counterfeited banknotes.

In the attached, the round that says Liberty and Freedom is a privately minted design from SD Bullion, while the one that says USA is the new Eagle. Which do you think looks better?

2021-britannia-silver-reverse-1oz.jpg

new-silver-eagle-reverse.jpg

SD-Freedom-Round-Obverse-Mock.jpg

I think the ASE is still works in progress... the security features will be added to the coin surely? That said, I do not understand the marked departure from symbolism - where there used to be an olive branch is now a dead twig of oak, and no symbols of power/strength as one would expect. Maybe it's just me, but I don't connect the artists' description of the design with the soul and essence of USA. 🤔

https://www.usmint.gov/news/press-releases/united-states-mint-unveils-new-american-eagle-gold-and-silver-coin-reverse-designs

Redesigned American Eagle Silver Reverse
The design depicts a single eagle coming in for a landing, carrying an oak branch as if to add it to a nest. Inscriptions are “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,” “E PLURIBUS UNUM,” “1 OZ. FINE SILVER,” and “ONE DOLLAR.” AIP designer Emily Damstra created the design, which was sculpted by Mint Medallic Artist Michael Gaudioso.

Reflecting on her design, Ms. Damstra commented: “My inspiration for this design grew from a desire to show our national bird—with all of the values it embodies—in a unique way that could also convey traits such as diligence, cooperation, care, and protection.”

(Artistic Infusion Program (AIP) contracts talented, professional American artists who represent diverse backgrounds and a variety of interests. These artists work with Mint staff to create and submit new designs for our coins and medals. https://www.usmint.gov/learn/artists/aip-emily-damstra)

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

7 hours ago, Martlet said:

That first Eagle is really good, if it translates to a pressed product it will be a great coin.  The bottom image looks like a sports logo, pretty sure thats early concept art not going to production.  

The bottom is the SD Bullion round, as I mentioned. It's been in production for a couple of years. Lots of American mints and dealers issue their own rounds. I think Silvertowne makes this round for SD Bullion. Normally Silvertowne products are extremely ugly, sloppy, and old-fashioned, but this one is very different. Both images are non-photographic though, so it's hard to visualize the products.

This is an unpopular opinion actually think the next silver eagle is a clear upgrade from a design perspective. I hated the coin being called the 'eagle' simply for having the heraldic bird when the lady liberty side is clearly the showcase part of the current coin.  It's not an 'eagle' when it's simply a heraldic symbol instead of a bird in a somewhat natural state.

However the new design for the gold eagle is a tragedy. They picked the worst of the 39 choices they had which is quite an accomplishment.

This isn't a big deal for me though as I buy exclusively Perth Mint, Royal Mint, Royal Canadian Mint and KOMSCO products. I don't understand why so many Americans are obsessed with Eagles and US Mint products . The competition is clearly superior in every way. Three of the aforementioned mints offer silver bars in various sizes. They all offer numerous coins outside of their primary bullion lines for those of us who enjoy variety. They often make these coins in multiple sizes. The US Mint does none of that and yet they manage to charge a higher spot price for clearly inferior products and product line. I'm not opposed to the idea of buying from the US Mint but I enjoy buying things from abroad because it seems much more luxurious to say I have British, Australian,Korean or Swiss silver and gold. 

I've always felt Britannias were beautiful and the Royal Mint found a way to make them even more gorgeous and secure. Why buy an eagle when you could get a Kookaburra, Koala or Valiant for the same price? If all American bullion buyers boycotted or reduced their US Mint purchases then they'd be forced to adapt.

The only place the US Mint seems to change up their designs is in the commemorative $5 gold coins, which I have an interest in. But aside from that it's mostly same ol' same ol' which is why I look elsewhere, too.

It's not like they can't do anything more. Unless maybe Don Pettit knows something we don't, like "we used to know how to make coin varieties but we lost that technology and it's too painful to get it back". (Do NOT put it passed them to say something like that! )

2 hours ago, RacerCool said:

The only place the US Mint seems to change up their designs is in the commemorative $5 gold coins, which I have an interest in. But aside from that it's mostly same ol' same ol' which is why I look elsewhere, too.

It's not like they can't do anything more. Unless maybe Don Pettit knows something we don't, like "we used to know how to make coin varieties but we lost that technology and it's too painful to get it back". (Do NOT put it passed them to say something like that! )

I just wish they'd take a page from the Perth Mint and did two annual series involving animals found in the US. I think a series with annual changing design, and 1,10 and kilo sized coins involving any of the following would be enormously popular: Mountain Lion, Raccoon, Grizzly Bear, Roadrunner.

I think the Eagle side is the easy side to sort out.  The tougher question is how will they improve lady liberty if she is staying on the coin

On 20/11/2020 at 22:48, Bimetallic said:

Hi all – The Royal Mint redesigned the Britannia for 2021, and the US Mint redesigned the Eagle. The new Brits are apparently already shipping, while the Eagles won't be out until midyear. I wanted to share some shots and thoughts, and get your opinions.

The Brits look fantastic, with four new security features, including these fine wave patterns, and fine textured dimpled surface around the old lady on the other side.

The Eagle, on the other hand, looks surprisingly terrible. There are two issues. First, the only images I've seen are strange artifacts that don't look like photos. Rather, they look like cartoons or sketches. I'm not sure what these images are, exactly, in terms of how they were created, if they started as photos, etc.

Second, the design quality looks more appropriate for a random round issued by a smaller private mint, not something we'd expect from a major government mint. It looks really cheap and crude. Is it possible that this is due entirely to the strange non-photographic images that they released?

I don't know what security features the US Mint added – none are visible. Did they really not incorporate the field features that are becoming standard? (The Maples, and now the Britannias have radial lines or waves. Do the Aussie coins have them now too?)

I'm embarrassed by the US Mint at this point. They're falling behind lots of other national mints. The Canadians implemented security features, rigorously researched milk spots, and developed a milk spot prevention technology. The British now have multiple, gorgeous security features with a gorgeous design. The Canadians, Australians, and British have all moved on to 9999 fine silver (only part-way for the British).

The US Mint has done none of these things, and essentially nothing else, and is apparently going to release an inferior design. And they don't innovate in their circulation coinage either, wasting millions of dollars a year making coins out of absurdly expensive nickel and copper, whereas the Canadian and British mints developed innovative plated steel technologies that they use to make coins for dozens of other countries. It's a bummer to have such a lazy mint, and it parallels our ugly and easily counterfeited banknotes.

In the attached, the round that says Liberty and Freedom is a privately minted design from SD Bullion, while the one that says USA is the new Eagle. Which do you think looks better?

2021-britannia-silver-reverse-1oz.jpg

new-silver-eagle-reverse.jpg

SD-Freedom-Round-Obverse-Mock.jpg

To answer your question, the 2nd coin (medal) from the private mint looks way better - they have the stars for the states and some cool design elements.  I think you are right to be annoyed by the us mint's lack of effort in their new coin design.  If the Eagle side is this bad then what about liberty?   If you look at competing coins like the Brits, they found a way to make Britannia feminine yet powerful looking.  If the US liberty walks by I don't think anyone turns their head except maybe because the figure looks like a guy in drag.  Forgive my directness :D  I agree with you - don't stack US Eagles for anything other than "price per ounce of silver".  They are not attractive coins in my view and this new version, if it's released like this, isn't going to change that story.  Start a petition of something in the US or boycott the coins or something... 

I got few Eagles but to me the biggest issue is the lady liberty side of the coin.  The current coins Eagle side to me isn't offending to the eyes.

I love the 2021 Brits, they are gorgeous. Love all the new features. 

About the 2021 eagles ..ahhh I wish they chose one of the other 20 to pick from, but like others have said, if all that detail in the eagle translates onto the coin, I think they are pretty nice. Starting to grow on me. 

I heard the 2021 eagles, silver n gold that come out early 2021, but don't have the new designs will be pretty sought after. 

Honestly, I can't WAIT for the new gold eagle reverse. I love detailed eagle heads, idk! Looks stunning. 

Thanks guys, that's my 2c

On 22/11/2020 at 12:38, AgCoyote said:

I just wish they'd take a page from the Perth Mint and did two annual series involving animals found in the US. I think a series with annual changing design, and 1,10 and kilo sized coins involving any of the following would be enormously popular: Mountain Lion, Raccoon, Grizzly Bear, Roadrunner.

I'll take a picture of a raccoon getting into my trash cans and send it to the US Mint for their consideration.;)😆

On 22/11/2020 at 07:20, RacerCool said:

Well they actually make tons of varieties of circulation coins, which is annoying as hell. I have no idea what a US quarter is supposed to look like anymore, since the Mint destroyed the brand and issued dozens of different quarters.

And all these ridiculous dollar coins – Sacajawea, Presidents, Innovation, Native American, Susan B. Anthony, silvery color, gold color, manganese, I've completely lost track.

They should decide on a design for a coin and stick with it for at least a month. Preferably for a decade or more.

On the bullion coins, they apparently have a "diversity" angle for the artists. I hope they're not issuing subpar designs because they're choosing artists based on their race or gender. That's insane. The US Mint is already embarrassing us by being so far behind the Canadians, British, and Australians, so kneecapping themselves due to a bizarre ideology would be a new low.

21 hours ago, Bimetallic said:

Well they actually make tons of varieties of circulation coins, which is annoying as hell. I have no idea what a US quarter is supposed to look like anymore, since the Mint destroyed the brand and issued dozens of different quarters.

And all these ridiculous dollar coins – Sacajawea, Presidents, Innovation, Native American, Susan B. Anthony, silvery color, gold color, manganese, I've completely lost track.

They should decide on a design for a coin and stick with it for at least a month. Preferably for a decade or more.

On the bullion coins, they apparently have a "diversity" angle for the artists. I hope they're not issuing subpar designs because they're choosing artists based on their race or gender. That's insane. The US Mint is already embarrassing us by being so far behind the Canadians, British, and Australians, so kneecapping themselves due to a bizarre ideology would be a new low.

I had kind of forgotten about the $10 gold coins, only because I don't buy them (too much to spend on one coin).  My focus is largely the $5 gold commemoratives, but I occasionally look at what's going on in all US Mint commemoratives.  There are many half dollars (silver) that I like too.  And generally they're all pretty decent, IMO.

But now that you've jogged my memory, and now that I'm thinking deeper about it, and to be fair about it, I'm thinking that the US Mint isn't "behind" the other mints as much as that their focus is different.  They put out A LOT of commemorative coins and they have for much of their existence, which means their focus is there, not in the bullion market that many here like to focus on, which is where the American Gold, Silver, and Platinum Eagles are.  How many other national mints produce as many commemoratives?  Do they at all?  I just don't know because, again, that's not my focus. I know the Royal Mint does, and so do the Mexican mint, but otherwise I just don't know.

Are they behind in minting technology?  I don't know; maybe.  But what kind of technology are we talking about and for what purpose?  Have they had problems with milkspotting, like certain other mints have?  I don't know, I don't focus on silver Eagles.  If they don't then they either have that figured out (i.e.- they're not behind) or it's just not an issue. Is it security features we're concerned with?  Well, maybe they're behind; I don't know.  For myself, I check each gold coin I get for weight and dimensions, and if they're where they should be then it's legit.  Beyond that I don't much care for security details.

As for quarters, I have generally liked the states and national parks series they've done in the last 20 years or so, at least the silver versions.

Here are some examples of the many commemoratives they've put out over the years.  In my opinion those are all very very nice coins, of the highest quality, even if I don't pay much attention to them.  So it's not that they can't or don't; they do, just not in the bullion-focused market.

A bimetallic gold/platinum $10 coin:

lib_congress_2000_bimetalic_10.jpg

Black American version of Liberty:

image.thumb.png.2ee11b4c4284b3a8e00f2d58a990c294.png

And of course the rose gold $5 coin:

image.png

On 20/11/2020 at 14:48, Bimetallic said:

Enjoyed your post, but there is one glaring incongruity: "The Eagle, on the other hand, looks surprisingly terrible. "

How on earth with everything else you say, could you be surprising about that?!

🤪

Archived