• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Coin condition

Goldbuyer

Hi all,

Noob question incoming.

I’ve just bought my first coin from Atkinson’s (2021 1/4 Brit). On the Britannia side it is in perfect condition, on the queens face it has an obvious but slight scratch on her cheek.

1) Does this often happen and should I not worry about it? Or is this something I should contact them about.

2) As a result if I ever list this, can this still be considered BU or should it be called Bullion grade?

Thanks

Welcome to forum - as it is a common issue piece what youve bought. it will only ever be with 'bullion' (ie the gold content of it) it is not a mega rare piece. 

Aside from a sovereign it is the second most recognised UK bullion coin, the Britannia 

Don't fret it, you've 1/4 oz of gold there, when it come to selling and cashing in a bullion dealer will give you the same for the gold content scratch or no scratch.  A few % point under spot is what you'll get every day of the week for it

If you are selling privately it gives the buyer some wiggle room to negotiate price, price it right a collector will buy it with scratch if the price is right

Atkinson are a great firm, if your heart is set on a perfect one im sure they would accommodate you requests and hand pick one for you 

But what you have bought will have been part of a tube where the coins will rattle and rolls over each other in transit, this could happen from any dealer or even buying directly from the Royal Mint itself 

happy stacking :) 

This is a question which comes up a lot. People buy a coin new thinking it will be perfect. Coins which are not proofs often comes with imperfections usually on the cheek of the queen were it is a raised area and rubs on the next coin. These are classed as bullion. Saying that we all aim for the less imperfections as possible. A dealer is probably unlikely to offer a refund as they say its bullion.

Archived