• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Different junk silver

Evanscott

This may be just me, but when I think of the term "junk silver," I am thinking about low grade numismatic coins that have minimum value above their silver weight (poor to very good, and maybe fine). Once you get much higher than that, you have a coin with significant numismatic value as well. BU would definitely be an investment grade coin, rather than junk silver.

19 hours ago, cdrematt said:

This may be just me, but when I think of the term "junk silver," I am thinking about low grade numismatic coins that have minimum value above their silver weight (poor to very good, and maybe fine). Once you get much higher than that, you have a coin with significant numismatic value as well. BU would definitely be an investment grade coin, rather than junk silver.

Junk silver is circulation coinage. Like quarters, dimes, half dollars, etc from before 1964 or so. It doesn't normally have a grade – it's sold in bags. It's common in the US and Canada. Not sure about the UK, or when the UK stopped using silver in coins.

On 17/11/2020 at 01:21, Bimetallic said:

Junk silver is circulation coinage. Like quarters, dimes, half dollars, etc from before 1964 or so. It doesn't normally have a grade – it's sold in bags. It's common in the US and Canada. Not sure about the UK, or when the UK stopped using silver in coins.

There's pre 47s over here they are 50% silver and then pre20s they are 925 

30th of September 1992 the last of the old sized UK 10p coins were replaced by the new smaller sized coins. The old size was the same size as the old 2 bob bit or the 2 shillings coin some of which contained silver which remained in circulation after decimalsation.

Archived