• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New Sovereign Obverse?

Britannia47

Sooner or later there will be a new regnal image on the obverse. Will it be Charles III, or William V or will Prince Charles use one of his middle names and chose to be George VII as speculation suggests? Any bets or suggestion welcome. Either way its going to be very costly changing the image not just on coins but banknotes. I feel a bit embarrassed that Canada and Australia still use the Queens head on their coinage. How will they feel about Charles I wonder?  One last comment on Obverses. Can anyone else at a glance tell the difference in age between An IRB and a JC obverse of the Queens portrait, or do I need to go to Specsavers!? 

"God save the King!"

I'm sure I read somewhere that Charles has said he will use the Regnal name of George because of the adverse connotations of the royal name Charles and the fact he would be Charles III. Apparently this will upset the Scots as they regard Bonny Prince Charlie as the rightful owner of this title.

How true this is, I have no idea.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

7 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

Can anyone else at a glance tell the difference in age between An IRB and a JC obverse of the Queens portrait, or do I need to go to Specsavers!?

It has nothing to do with your eyesight. They are just too similar. 4 portraits would have been enough. Also, Queen Victoria only had 3 (Australia aside).

My money's on a left facing William V as the next obverse, probably with a nice Bobby Charlton comb over 😀

I can't say I've ever been a fan of the depiction of the queen on the Canadian maple leaf, looks a bit cartoonish and why not wear a crown? If you're going to do it you may as well do a good job on it!

I was under the impression he would be George VII, however I'm hoping Lizzie holds on for a while yet. She'll be the last female any of us will ever see on the throne and I'm in no rush to have Charles' face in my pocket.

Thanks for all your comments. We will have to wait and see what happens. The Queen is now 94. I didn't realise how bad the current Canadian obverse image is - perhaps engraved by a French Canadian! Oddly enough my 1983 Maple has an Arnold Machin image and looks OK.  Queen Victoria was 18 when she modelled the 'Young head' for William Wyon in 1837. and she only agreed to change it at the age of 68 for the Jubilee head! It was one way to feel young for so long.

How about KIng Andrew 1st  (Eighth in line to the throne)?  No sweat! 

On 11/11/2020 at 22:39, GoldStatue said:

My money's on a left facing William V as the next obverse, probably with a nice Bobby Charlton comb over 😀

I can't say I've ever been a fan of the depiction of the queen on the Canadian maple leaf, looks a bit cartoonish and why not wear a crown? If you're going to do it you may as well do a good job on it!

I'm hoping for BullionBuyer the First!!!!!!

I do love the reverse design on the Canadian Maple but that portrait of the Queen is terrible and ruins the coin for me.

1 hour ago, Coolsmp said:

Lol at one point he was 2nd in line

Andrew may yet again climb up on the ladder if 'Cash & Carry' are removed from the line of succession... 🤑

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Archived