• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Should I Grade: Gold "End of World War II 75th Anniversary" American Eagle Proof?

UniversityPhysics

I was fortunate enough to purchase one of the "End of World War II 75th Anniversary American Eagle Gold Proof" coins. I'm considering grading this coin. I see the recent sales on eBay are north of $10k.

I'm curious what your opinion is on if the value will continue to increase?

Some reasons I've heard why people think this gold proof will increase in value in the years to come:

• Low mintage (~1900 minted)
  • First ever privy mark on an American Eagle
  • Last year of the current design (2021 will have a new design)

But part of me also thinks that the market price is +$10k just because of "hype". Would love to hear what you think. Hold/grade or sell this gold v75 proof?

First of all, congrats on getting the gold version.

Second, it is probably worth it money wise if you can get a perfect grade, but other than that sending it in may just be a waste of money since no proof coin should be less than a 69.

Third, since you are a collector, I would keep the coin for the time being unless you need the cash.

6 hours ago, Jokke said:

First of all, congrats on getting the gold version.

Second, it is probably worth it money wise if you can get a perfect grade, but other than that sending it in may just be a waste of money since no proof coin should be less than a 69.

Third, since you are a collector, I would keep the coin for the time being unless you need the cash.

Thanks! I'm very grateful to have gotten this. Would you say, if I were not a collector, that I should sell now in original government packaging?

I'm curious if people on the forum think the price will appreciate past the $10-12k that it's going for on ebay currently, say one year from now.

2 hours ago, UniversityPhysics said:

Thanks! I'm very grateful to have gotten this. Would you say, if I were not a collector, that I should sell now in original government packaging?

I'm curious if people on the forum think the price will appreciate past the $10-12k that it's going for on ebay currently, say one year from now.

I should emphasize that I am not an expert on these things, so maybe get a second and third opinion.

I don't know what it costs to have a coin graded but it could be more than $100 (quick Google search), and that money will be wasted if the coin comes back 69 or lower. However, getting a grade of 70 may add some value. It is a bit of a gamble no matter what you do. The coin has a lot of hype right now and that is probably reflected in the price so maybe prices will drop over the next 6 months or so. However, as soon as most of the 1945 coins have found their way into the hands of collectors, the price is likely to go up again as they won't go on sale very often.

As I wrote earlier, I would probably hold on to it for a couple of years unless you need the cash now.

And could you do us a favor and share some pics of it when you get it? It is probably the only way us mere mortals get to see one :(

44 minutes ago, Jokke said:

I should emphasize that I am not an expert on these things, so maybe get a second and third opinion.

I don't know what it costs to have a coin graded but it could be more than $100 (quick Google search), and that money will be wasted if the coin comes back 69 or lower. However, getting a grade of 70 may add some value. It is a bit of a gamble no matter what you do. The coin has a lot of hype right now and that is probably reflected in the price so maybe prices will drop over the next 6 months or so. However, as soon as most of the 1945 coins have found their way into the hands of collectors, the price is likely to go up again as they won't go on sale very often.

As I wrote earlier, I would probably hold on to it for a couple of years unless you need the cash now.

And could you do us a favor and share some pics of it when you get it? It is probably the only way us mere mortals get to see one :(

I will definitely share pictures if I take the coin out! I'm currently debating just putting the original government packaging in the safe, or sending it to get graded. If I do the latter, I am happy to upload as many images as the community wants to see! 

I need to do some research on whether the coin will be well-preserved (airtight, water proof) in the original government packaging.

Congrats, Slightly off topic but does your order still say processing on the website? I also managed to get the gold but it now seems to be stuck on 'processing' on the site. Slightly worrying as my bank will return funds if not processed by the 13th :(

On 09/11/2020 at 06:38, Junglist85 said:

Congrats, Slightly off topic but does your order still say processing on the website? I also managed to get the gold but it now seems to be stuck on 'processing' on the site. Slightly worrying as my bank will return funds if not processed by the 13th :(

mine has shipped!

6 hours ago, *tada* said:

Just sent mine to PCGS for grading. Given the eBay prices looks like first batch of PCGS 70s can easily fetch $15,000+. Demand is insane for this coin. 

Congrats, hope you get a 70! This will be my first time sending mine in to be graded as well.

How much in total did it cost you? They have several tiers and I'm confused which tier I should ship mine in with.

Do I value this coin at 2k or at 10k, when choosing which tier I'm allowed to use for their grading service?

59 minutes ago, UniversityPhysics said:

Congrats, hope you get a 70! This will be my first time sending mine in to be graded as well.

How much in total did it cost you? They have several tiers and I'm confused which tier I should ship mine in with.

Do I value this coin at 2k or at 10k, when choosing which tier I'm allowed to use for their grading service?

For what you've made on the coin I wouldn't risk going for the 2k option 

First off, Congratulations!

But secondly I will offer a differing opinion:  remember that these are only a minor variant, and though valuable do not carry the same weight as an entirely new type. Also, the potential secondary market is quite lean in all likelihood (ie demand will be limited at the 10k price point).

Next, the US Mint created a contrived rarity which has now become a habit on a yearly basis. This makes each "rarity" to be more common in that there are more of them (I will give the example of the Spouses gold program with the Betty Ford in uncirculated having a lower mintage than your gold eagle). Essentially after the initial round of flipping for profit, prices then go down.

Arguably the best move would be to sell right away before even grading as the price for even a "70" will likely decline even by the time you get yours back. For a collector such as myself it really doesn't matter but certainly I would not bet on an increasing future value. Research up similar issues for yourself that you can see for yourself.

In any case, again, well done!

12 hours ago, DaKine said:

First off, Congratulations!

But secondly I will offer a differing opinion:  remember that these are only a minor variant, and though valuable do not carry the same weight as an entirely new type. Also, the potential secondary market is quite lean in all likelihood (ie demand will be limited at the 10k price point).

Next, the US Mint created a contrived rarity which has now become a habit on a yearly basis. This makes each "rarity" to be more common in that there are more of them (I will give the example of the Spouses gold program with the Betty Ford in uncirculated having a lower mintage than your gold eagle). Essentially after the initial round of flipping for profit, prices then go down.

Arguably the best move would be to sell right away before even grading as the price for even a "70" will likely decline even by the time you get yours back. For a collector such as myself it really doesn't matter but certainly I would not bet on an increasing future value. Research up similar issues for yourself that you can see for yourself.

In any case, again, well done!

Thanks for the input! One thing that makes me think price will go up is that some resale/coin shops are offering a lot for them.

Minshull Trading is offering $12k for the gold eagle and $575 for the sealed silver eagle.

It seems like resellers think that even buying at the 12k price point will be profitable for them in the future.

What do you think?

Well, we have been through this cycle quite a number of times, and this has happened in ALL circumstances. Although a larger mintage, what about the 2013 Reverse Proof Buffalo or the 2014 gold Kennedy? These are gone and forgotten, and even the ERP 2019 S eagle is now fading from memory.

What I am saying is that you got a great coin there, and the fact that prices are high now is not really a predictor of future performance. 

On 15/11/2020 at 15:28, DaKine said:

Well, we have been through this cycle quite a number of times, and this has happened in ALL circumstances. Although a larger mintage, what about the 2013 Reverse Proof Buffalo or the 2014 gold Kennedy? These are gone and forgotten, and even the ERP 2019 S eagle is now fading from memory.

What I am saying is that you got a great coin there, and the fact that prices are high now is not really a predictor of future performance. 

Good points and good data points, much appreciated!

Archived