• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Platinum coins or bars ?

Grinder

Looking to get into a little platinum for the stash now that spot pricing is down.

Premium on coins is way higher than bars and coin availability is VERY low here in the US.

Are 1 oz bars a good option ? Much lower premiums and some availability ?

Thoughts ? I generally prefer coins to bars in gold.

Does platinum have any fakery issues ?

Thank you for your input.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided on 1oz bars due to the high premiums on and lack of inventory of coins

$50 more for a coin just isn't working for my stacking goals

And of course, prices are rising now that I'm shopping :)

A Britannia is still on my wish list though

On 16/11/2020 at 07:29, xthomasx said:

If you want platinum for platinum's sake, that's a good decision. To me, however, bars are boring, so I continue to struggle with low supply and high premiums 😒 

Agreed. after i accumulate a little I may be pickier 

When trying to buy on the dips, there has to be something to buy :)

On 16/11/2020 at 10:32, SilverSceptic said:

For a metal that has a spot price half of gold, it actually costs more than gold when you factor in the premiums to buy it.

I have been paying under a grand an oz, for platinum, so not sure what you mean 

On 18/11/2020 at 17:18, Grinder said:

I have been paying under a grand an oz, for platinum, so not sure what you mean 

The premiums as a percentage over spot are quite high, and the spread is also more substantial, both of these mean the spot price must increase by a significantly larger percentage for you to break even let alone come out ahead. All that being said I think it is worth having some, or at least speculating in ETFs or one gold or the like.

On 22/11/2020 at 14:57, RedDragon77 said:

The premiums as a percentage over spot are quite high, and the spread is also more substantial, both of these mean the spot price must increase by a significantly larger percentage for you to break even let alone come out ahead. All that being said I think it is worth having some, or at least speculating in ETFs or one gold or the like.

I know all that and I am already ahead :)

• 3 weeks later...

Platinum ought to be priced higher than gold but as it looks so cheap by comparison should be an investors opportunity.
However the premiums ( price over spot ) are ridiculously high right now and this I assume is down to limited supply.
When buyers are willing to pay silly premiums, the sellers make hay and you will unlikely recover your premium unless another buyer is desperate to buy.
I am waiting for premiums to drop to more realistic levels then definitely looking to accumulate platinum coins for the longer term.
In the UK we have also got to find a way of avoiding having to add a further 20% VAT to the cost of buying Platinum.
High premiums currently and 20% VAT on top makes Platinum too expensive compared to gold but not if you are just comparing spot prices ( which we cannot get near to for Pt )

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

Platinum ought to be priced higher than gold but as it looks so cheap by comparison should be an investors opportunity.
However the premiums ( price over spot ) are ridiculously high right now and this I assume is down to limited supply.
When buyers are willing to pay silly premiums, the sellers make hay and you will unlikely recover your premium unless another buyer is desperate to buy.
I am waiting for premiums to drop to more realistic levels then definitely looking to accumulate platinum coins for the longer term.
In the UK we have also got to find a way of avoiding having to add a further 20% VAT to the cost of buying Platinum.
High premiums currently and 20% VAT on top makes Platinum too expensive compared to gold but not if you are just comparing spot prices ( which we cannot get near to for Pt )

Agreed, but eating the outrageous premiums early in the year seemed obviously worth it, now it seems risky.

On 16/12/2020 at 12:11, RedDragon77 said:

Agreed, but eating the outrageous premiums early in the year seemed obviously worth it, now it seems risky.

Definitely wish I had purchased more back when I started this thread.

I always look at the total price. 

High premiums with low spot , or low premiums with high spot makes no difference to me.

Obviously, low and low would be ideal :)

On 20/12/2020 at 04:19, Grinder said:

Definitely wish I had purchased more back when I started this thread.

I always look at the total price. 

High premiums with low spot , or low premiums with high spot makes no difference to me.

Obviously, low and low would be ideal :)

Yeah, I wish I could have times it a little better on the physical, and also bought paper closer to the crash.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a Pt collector for c. 7 years & spot is almost irrelevant. Here in the UK, there is VAT & there is very little for sale at any one time here on TSF. As a collector I like it cos it is rare, and limited. Two of my first buys were the Pt reverse $50 that are proof & stunning, & an Aus Koala set. Still own both. Still love em. Have I made money. I doubt it. But they are great. And it got me into Palladium & Rhodium where I did make a profit. But I didn’t set out with that. I wanted something rare & pure & whether Pt bars or coins, it ticks both 

good luck in your decisions 

CB 

8 hours ago, cliveb13 said:

I have been a Pt collector for c. 7 years & spot is almost irrelevant. Here in the UK, there is VAT & there is very little for sale at any one time here on TSF. As a collector I like it cos it is rare, and limited. Two of my first buys were the Pt reverse $50 that are proof & stunning, & an Aus Koala set. Still own both. Still love em. Have I made money. I doubt it. But they are great. And it got me into Palladium & Rhodium where I did make a profit. But I didn’t set out with that. I wanted something rare & pure & whether Pt bars or coins, it ticks both 

good luck in your decisions 

CB 

All that oppressive overhead considered, this was a good candidate year to get ahead with good timing.

Archived