• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Different makers of gold and prices?

Ole76

Newbie here whos looking to invest in some gold for (hopefully) longer term purposes.
I think I'm going to go down the gold bar route rather than coins as not a collector as such but want value in the long run and maybe pass them onto my kids.
I'm looking at smaller bars 1g/2.5g as they will be easier share around and cash-in if needed in lesser amounts but I'm seeing different makers such as Heraeus, PAMP, Umicore etc which can vary by as much as £10 per gram bar for the same weight/quality.
Should I just go for the cheapest maker or is it worth buying the more expensive ones? 

Ok, if buying bullion Sovereigns, would you buy new or used (sold as good to fair condition) for longer term investment?
Like I say, there is no 'collectable' value for me in gold.

Would agree full sovereigns and above are better value for money if you can afford them. If you  still want fractional gold  (as I have recently), you can look out for deals though  that are not too far above spot (gold) price.  

For example the  24ct 1g battle of Britain ingots from CPM coins aren't bad at all just over 4% spot price. 

https://www.cpmcoins.com/p-999Y/The-Battle-of-Britain-1g-Gold-Square-Ingot.aspx (which is the  typical % above spot want you'd be paying a dealer for sovereign).

Harrington and Byrne also does similar offers although the remembrance coin they are selling is 22ct so not as good value (between 8-14% above spot depending on whether you take into accost the postage cost). 

https://harringtonandbyrne.co.uk/2020-centenary-of-the-unknown-warrior-remembrance-day-gold-proof-quarter-sovereign-4799.html#Specifications

The other place for getting good value fractional gold is other forum members - I got a half sovereign for just under spot price this weekend  via the forum although you have to be quick to get the best deals!

Archived