• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Lump sum to invest in gold

benjhog

I have a lump sum I plan to invest in gold as opposed to keeping it in cash and so far I have bought some bullion gold full sovereigns.

I have a few questions, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

For stacking gold as savings would bullion grade full sovereigns and Britannia’s be my best choice? And do these have the lowest premium between buying and selling?

should I dollar cost average buy gold weekly or lump sum?

(probably a stupid question) lastly should I wait until things calm down such as after Brexit and the us election? As looking at golds price decline after 2011 makes me wonder if history will repeat itself and I’d just be buying into a bubble.

Hi

I think all of your questions have been covered before - quite a few times.  

Have a look at the search function it is good for finding answers to your questions.  

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Before buying physical Gold look at various dealers websites and compare buy back price of sovereign and Britannia coins and then investigate the selling price these dealers have. What you will find spread about 4% between buy back price and the sell price. Willing to buy in bulk full tube Britannia can be purchased 3% above spot. Buy premium membership sell on the forum for 1 to 2% above spot bullion 1 oz Gold Britannia therefore reduce the spread dealers have between buy and sell price.

As when you should buy Gold is anyone’s guess nobody can predict the short term swings in the Gold price. Looking to profit from short term swings in the Gold price then physical Gold with it spread not wisest option better facilitated with ETFs or CFDs.

Stacking it as long term savings want to hold for decades to come should not worry about the short term price moves and you have the funds buy a full tube Britannia every month until depleted savings (but always have six months cash savings in case any emergency).

Archived