• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 10,000+ forum members. 

Graphite on my poured silver bars

Hi guys, I’ve been pouring some silver ripple bars and I get a small amount of the graphite From the crucible left on top. Can anybody tell me how to remove this with out leaving any small scratches behind, I’ve managed some really nice bars but this is driving me crazy,, any help will be greatly appreciated 👍.

It's a common thing to happen when pouring silver. It's the reason I use the "stop short" method as the graphite tends to come out at the back end of the pour with the dregs of silver.

However even then some small bits come out sometimes. 

My best solution to date has been to soak in a very strong vinegar for a few hours and then use the finest grit sandpaper you can find. I have a few P7000 sheets which have been used so much they are basically like 10,000 grit and it takes the graphite right off. Wet and dry paper is best and using it with some vinegar on it helps.

You get some small micros scratches, but with my stuff the very fine sandpaper hardly leaves any and the pieces I end up with you would never know.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Like BYB, so far the best way I've found to reduce the scale is to have about 20g extra in the crucible that gets left. The graphite tends to concentrate on the last bit.

Once cooled I take off the scale from my left over blob with a dremel and a grinder bit, ready to be thrown in to the next melt.