• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Can you bring gold coins to the airport?

eladyx111

42 minutes ago, eladyx111 said:

Hey guys,

I am travelling to US and would like to purchase 3 coins for investment from APMEX. 

Does gold can be detected in the airport or cause any issues?

Thanks in advance!

3 Gold coins? At most that would be 93 gr. You can have jewelry on you worth much more than that. I don't think anyone will ask anything....Just my opinion. 

I’d keep them in my pocket. The metal detectors won’t be set off if a high purity and even then I think many countries allow up to £10,000 per flight in cash and 3 coins should be below this too. Don’t put them in your suitcase 🧳!!!

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

1 hour ago, eladyx111 said:

Hey guys,

I am travelling to US and would like to purchase 3 coins for investment from APMEX. 

Does gold can be detected in the airport or cause any issues?

Thanks in advance!

I recently traveled to Istanbul on holiday for 10 days and as well as taking Sterling in cash I also took 4x Gold 20 French Franc coins with me as well so that I could determine what got me the best exchange rate to swap for Turkish Lira- the cash sufficed just fine. 
I just put the Gold coins mixed in with a bit of loose change in a little bank money bag and carried it in my jeans pocket- chucked it in the tray to go through the scanner along with my wallet, fags, lighter and phone at both Manchester and Istanbul Airports.  

I think you’ll be fine bringing back your three coins. 

On 17/10/2020 at 10:48, richatthecroft said:

I just put the Gold coins mixed in with a bit of loose change in a little bank money bag and carried it in my jeans pocket- chucked it in the tray to go through the scanner along with my wallet, fags, lighter and phone at both Manchester and Istanbul Airports.  

That's a great idea. No one will examine every single coin. They're just a bunch of coins and they see that every day.

On 17/10/2020 at 18:48, richatthecroft said:

I recently traveled to Istanbul on holiday for 10 days and as well as taking Sterling in cash I also took 4x Gold 20 French Franc coins with me as well so that I could determine what got me the best exchange rate to swap for Turkish Lira- the cash sufficed just fine. 

And then you got back to Blighty, nipped into the shop on the way home for some milk, and absent-mindedly tossed your money bag to that beggar when he asked you for any spare change. 

He’s just joined the Forum and wants to know what his new gold coins are worth!

13 minutes ago, HighlandTiger said:

I was in Australia in January, and brought back some Perth mint gold. I just had it in the side pocket of my hand luggage (a rucksack). No one batted an eyelid. 

The things we get away with, hey? A few weeks ago I drove around 50 miles to Glasgow and removed half of my small collection of gold coins out of my safe deposit box to transfer them to the new facility in nearby Edinburgh. I decided to drive to my usual spot in Glasgow city centre, donned my mask and walked a 4 mile round trip to the facility and back to my car. I could have driven around the nearby unfamiliar streets searching for somewhere closer to park but I wanted to make it my exercise walk for the day. Public transport was not an option in the current pandemic so far as I’m concerned.

Glasgow southside looked quite dodgy but I’m the toughest old geezer in the whole of my house so I wasn’t worried. Imagine if someone followed me and shouted out “he’s got gold in his rucksack” - I’d have had to jump into the River Clyde to make my escape.

The bottom line? I too am a fan of hiding in plain sight.

The downside? You can’t sew your gold coin collection into your underpants if you’re gonna jump into the Clyde.

2 hours ago, GoodAsGold said:

The things we get away with, hey? A few weeks ago I drove around 50 miles to Glasgow and removed half of my small collection of gold coins out of my safe deposit box to transfer them to the new facility in nearby Edinburgh. I decided to drive to my usual spot in Glasgow city centre, donned my mask and walked a 4 mile round trip to the facility and back to my car. I could have driven around the nearby unfamiliar streets searching for somewhere closer to park but I wanted to make it my exercise walk for the day. Public transport was not an option in the current pandemic so far as I’m concerned.

Glasgow southside looked quite dodgy but I’m the toughest old geezer in the whole of my house so I wasn’t worried. Imagine if someone followed me and shouted out “he’s got gold in his rucksack” - I’d have had to jump into the River Clyde to make my escape.

The bottom line? I too am a fan of hiding in plain sight.

The downside? You can’t sew your gold coin collection into your underpants if you’re gonna jump into the Clyde.

"the toughest old geezer in the whole of my house" lol

I think buying jewelry which you can mount a Sov/gold coins onto them is a good idea for the future. I'm planning to maybe use gold as holiday money and to have it in plain sight I reckon would be the best way forward. 

9 hours ago, Tn21 said:

I think buying jewelry which you can mount a Sov/gold coins onto them is a good idea for the future. I'm planning to maybe use gold as holiday money and to have it in plain sight I reckon would be the best way forward. 

I agree, I've thought in the past it was a good way to transport a couple of sovereigns.

Is anyone aware of a way to mount a more expensive type of sovereign that doesn't damage the coin or would you always be limited to bullion coins that dealers would likely sell as scrap if you sold to them?

Once you pass security in the U.S.A., and I do believe having three gold coins in your pocket will not trigger any crazy detentions, do you pass through another x-ray machine on your trip? When you land overseas, don't you just get your bags and go get a stamp on your passport and either declare something or not? I don't see where there would be any problems carrying a few coins in your pocket.

Carrying them on your person is no problem. I've travelled quite regularly between Australia, US, NZ and UK with silver bars, gold blobs and coins and no one cares. Same goes for Germany and Belgium. Silver shows up black on the x-ray, Gold usually doesn't (set that way for jewellery and watches). If the person on the scanner/x-ray asks to see it, you can ask for a private area to show them. There's never a problem unless it's a huge amount, often you get interested questions rather than anything sinister.

I'd never risk putting bullion in my checked baggage.

Interestingly, my lucky sov in my handful of euro coins stood out when i saw it on the xray in the tray. Black as you like. Not sure what Euro coins are made of but definitely different on the settings they had on that day.

Archived