• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Get Woke Go Broke 50p Royal Mint receives major backlash.

silverdocket

As the title says... The Royal Mint has released a diversity 50p and judging by the comments on Facebook it's not going down well.

Typically Facebook would receive around 5 comments per post on a good day.

This morning I woke to over 100 comments 99% not in favour of the Royal Mint and the bigger scheme of pushing a certain agenda.

They've definitely dropped the ball this time.

Screenshot_20201017_102259.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a coin the design isn’t for me, nothing about the message just don’t think the design is great. I have seen some comments on Twitter which make me uncomfortable to say the least.  Not read the Facebook comments but diversity as a term covers:

‘It means understanding that each individual is unique, and recognizing our individual differences. These can be along the dimensions of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious beliefs, political beliefs, or other ideologies.’

From that definition, I’m not sure what people are disliking about this message?

2 minutes ago, FuntasticFlavor said:

I got myself the silver proof coin. The design aint all that, like @Clockpuncher said in another thread it looks like the crystal maze 😂,  but I am showing support to the message behind it. I heard it's part of a series. If so I'll purchase the others too once they're released. 

Yep now you’ve pointed it out it’s the Crystal Dome (think that’s it’s name)

36 minutes ago, Xander said:

Don't forget the french.

Don't forget Biggus Dickus and his fellow Romans, I'm sure they were involved in some of the diversity building, too... (not to mention the Vikings, ahem!) 😅

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Brits are mongrel race, with bits of all sorts of DNA in our blood.  I’m as white as snow but when I had a DNA test done, I found out I had all sorts in me.  

The beauty of science is that it can explain ancestry - which I guess is really diversity.  

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

32 minutes ago, dicker said:

Brits are mongrel race, with bits of all sorts of DNA in our blood.  I’m as white as snow but when I had a DNA test done, I found out I had all sorts in me.

Have you ever researched your family tree @dicker?  I found it fascinating and sad at times researching my own and my wife’s families.

It dispelled a tall story that my mother’s grandfather was one of the policemen who caught the Victorian criminal and subsequent comic book character Charlie Peace. Her grandfather also worked on the Lusitania, but was too old to shovel coal anymore and had left the ship before she was torpedoed and sank.

My mother-in-law’s family were of German descent and my wife was not pleased to know one of her descendants was called Adolf. She changed her tune when I told her there was more than one Adolf in the world and her descendant fought and died for Britain - the country of his birth. 

Finally, I discovered a “skeleton in our closet” which was kept secret from my father and his siblings by my grandparents (his parents). They had all passed away by then and I would have kept the secret to myself otherwise.

Anyone else reading this, I would also recommend talking to any older relatives and asking the right questions before they are no longer with us. They can help us place some of the pieces in the jigsaw before it’s too late.

Further to my last post, the Census also reveals lots of interesting information such as where they were living, what were their occupations and the names of their children etc.

According to one census one of my ancestors was a prominent artist (or so I thought). The census before that had him down as a painter, and the census before that one had him down as a house painter. Not everyone could read and write so the person asking the questions at the door just filled in the form. He must have heard the occupation “painter” and assumed he was an artist. Oh well.

But when your grandmother is called Lewis and she marries someone called Day, you wonder if you’re related to Daniel Day-Lewis (to the best of my knowledge I’m not).

It’s a No from me, I’m afraid. But not the first or the last. Take it or leave it I suppose.

The Stephen Hawking 50p design was spoiled for me by the Star Warsy type large lettering overshadowing an otherwise reasonable design behind. I know I’m probably in the minority on that one though. @westminstrelyou mentioned it first, so it’s your fault for getting me started my friend!

I can’t believe people are getting paid to come up with some particularly naff designs. The wording on the Brexit 50p comes across to me as insincere trash, but there’s one design I absolutely loathe and that’s the War/Peace £5 coin using the letter “a” of War and the letter “a” of Peace as the same one letter.  They were probably “inspired” by children’s alphabet building blocks when they came up with that one. I noticed if you juggle the letters around you get “wee c**p” which is what the design really is.

No offence intended to anyone if you have a strong opinion to the contrary, but come on, really Royal Mint? Must do better.

Archived