• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Popularity of Morgan Silver Dollars outside the U.S.

BJM

To fellow members who reside outside the U.S., how popular or collectible are Morgan Silver Dollars?  Morgans seem quite popular stateside, but I am unsure of their place in Canada, Europe, and Australia.

Thanks!

I've bought them in the past simply because i like the historical aspect of them. They are always the first to be sold though when the price is right because they have very little aesthetic appeal and are, quite frankly, boring.  😁

The fineness of 90% i think puts people off also. More of a collector coin than a stacker coin...

I'm sure a lot of people start out thinking they'll go for a full set until they realise that getting good strikes is expensive and obtaining a full set is only for the wealthy (1895 P, anyone) !

These are not very popular outside of the US since the history and folklore behind these coins are not really well known.  A few times I had to explain the appeal of the ones with the CC (Carson City) mint marks.  I used to carry an 1892 O (New Orleans) that I got from a bank around as a pocket piece.  I also wanted a CC one in the CSA (Government Services Administration) holder.

I have always wondered how many of Morgan and Peace dollars were melted when the Hunt Brothers tired to corner the market in silver, I can still remember dealers buying these from the public in 1979 when I was 17 and going to coin shows in South Florida.

40 minutes ago, Silverman1985 said:

I am put off by these coins by the number of fakes that I hear out there. However did purchase my first couple of halves in the last number of weeks. 

Around 6 years ago, when i was living in indonesia.

I went to a market in Jakarta, at least 10 small shops had several hundred of morgan dollars each. There were thousands of morgan dollars.

All fakes from china, and they were trying to sell these as real silver coins.

I collect them but not in a terribly structured way.  There are a few folk who enjoy collecting them and I buy them when I am in the US.

They are genuinely nice coins and most are not fake but of course beware!

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

25 minutes ago, MrTT said:

Around 6 years ago, when i was living in indonesia.

I went to a market in Jakarta, at least 10 small shops had several hundred of morgan dollars each. There were thousands of morgan dollars.

All fakes from china, and they were trying to sell these as real silver coins.

I had a similar situation in Eastern Europe in the summer at car boot sales. Many stalls of coin dealers and not a genuine coin among them haha. 

Archived