• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

strange object need help!

GoldElliott

Hi

Saw this rather nice and unique decorative egg and couldn't resist bidding on it. Just arrived and it's great but want to test it to make sure it's. 999 silver like it says (and not plated or lower purity). I have no idea how to do this though! I don't have an xrf/ sigma or such device and don't think it's completely solid as otherwise It would probably be heavier.

Please see photos below. Any help appreciated!

IMG_20201005_1140259.jpg

IMG_20201005_1140136.jpg

IMG_20201005_1140087.jpg

IMG_20201005_1140060.jpg

Does it not have an opening - either inside hinged or twist off? If not, then it looks like the felt covered bottom may be something that you could attempt to remove? Maybe get some tweezers and see if the felt is just glued to the bottom or is attached to another piece of metal that is acting as a plug?

I would suggest taking it to a dealer and asking them to quickly assay it. If you are in London, there are a few on Hatton Garden that would look at it for you.

A.

2 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Does it not have an opening - either inside hinged or twist off? If not, then it looks like the felt covered bottom may be something that you could attempt to remove? Maybe get some tweezers and see if the felt is just glued to the bottom or is attached to another piece of metal that is acting as a plug?

I would suggest taking it to a dealer and asking them to quickly assay it. If you are in London, there are a few on Hatton Garden that would look at it for you.

A.

thanks for the help mate. I work near HG but haven't gone there in a long time as am WFH currently.

Upon someone elses advice I did a specific gravity test and it failed horribly... came in about 5.5!

I peeled back the felt like you said and can see that inside is like a plaster type substance, quite chalky and definitely not silver! Back to the auction house it goes !

5 hours ago, SILVERFINGER said:

Looks like a victorian sex toy to me mate.

Glad I dipped it in water to test it now...

7 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Sorry to hear that. Shameful that auction houses do not properly market/confirm the items correctly.

I have bought 4 auction lots last week and all 4 were problematic. 2 had fake coins, 1 had non-silver coins sold as silver and the other was this egg thing

Well it was never in a month of Sunday's solid silver. It does not weigh enough. So either it was empty or there was some sort of filler. It might be the actual silver in this thing is half its gross weight.

i steer clear of these objects - anything with a felt bottom and could be hollow. A lot of candle sticks are weighted. There is no way to work out what the metal weight is in these circumstances without destroying the item. i would have put bids in on some of these but i wouldn't know what i should pay - so i don't.

It looks very nice - what did you pay? 

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Wow, this is shameful. I buy silver at auctions in the States and I’ve never seen such completely off labeling. They always say you buy at own risk but they’re incredibly diligent about telling you what objects are weighted and if they don’t disclose in the description, they always answer me before it sells. The only exception is jewelry. I’ve seen some mislabeled as when it’s plainly a considerably lower purity.   

As for six gun’s experience, that’s madness about fake coins. I’d be outraged. I’ve not purchased any wildly expensive coins at auctions, but a few estate auction places have been willing to test rounds when I’ve asked.

9 hours ago, sixgun said:

Well it was never in a month of Sunday's solid silver. It does not weigh enough. So either it was empty or there was some sort of filler. It might be the actual silver in this thing is half its gross weight.

i steer clear of these objects - anything with a felt bottom and could be hollow. A lot of candle sticks are weighted. There is no way to work out what the metal weight is in these circumstances without destroying the item. i would have put bids in on some of these but i wouldn't know what i should pay - so i don't.

It looks very nice - what did you pay? 

Paid £75+ fees + post. They were happy enough for me to return it to them but just too lazy to test it.

7 hours ago, MrUpwardlyMobile said:

Wow, this is shameful. I buy silver at auctions in the States and I’ve never seen such completely off labeling. They always say you buy at own risk but they’re incredibly diligent about telling you what objects are weighted and if they don’t disclose in the description, they always answer me before it sells. The only exception is jewelry. I’ve seen some mislabeled as when it’s plainly a considerably lower purity.   

As for six gun’s experience, that’s madness about fake coins. I’d be outraged. I’ve not purchased any wildly expensive coins at auctions, but a few estate auction places have been willing to test rounds when I’ve asked.

Also bought some coins from another auction house and when I won I called them to say can you hold a magnet to them or weigh them and they outright refused saying thats not a service they offer!

Archived