• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Grading added value?

Tattoedamat

If I was to get graded a recently purchased 2012 full sovereign and it came out reasonable grade, could I expect it to significantly/moderately increase the intrinsic value?

More curious than anything as never really got involved with graded coins. The coin in question below

IMG_20201002_173801.jpg

IMG_20201002_173753.jpg

IMG_20201002_173711.jpg

In my opinion - moderately perhaps, significantly no.

It's a bullion sovereign and although it's a one-off design, there were loads of them minted and therefore fairly easy to get hold of in decent condition.  If it was a proof, my answer might be different...

I doubt that it would enhance the value by more than the cost of the grading, but then again I struggle to see the appeal of graded bullion coins.  I just put mine in capsules (at a lower cost than grading of course) and then enjoy looking at them.

I second that opinion and I've not really got anything of gradable quality, I don't count recent (less than 10 yr old mintings) as most of my sovereigns are pre 1960 and circulated.

I'm fairly sure the coin in question is bullion not proof unless a certain Blackpool seller we know and love has felt extra generous 😉🤫

Most modern bullion I see very little benefit to grading outside of very limited pieces that have a high demand. Grading costs could be prohibitive if you're not submitting several coins at a time as well or doing a bulk submission with other people. In most cases, the only time you will see substantial appreciation from grading is when there's very limited supply in Mint State.  

Sorry to hijack your thread @Tattoedamatbut I got a 2012 sov a couple of months back from Baird and it looks decidedly better quality than all my other sovs.

I wonder if someone with better knowledge than me could take a quick look and let me know if it looks better than bullion standard?

IMG_20201005_141314.thumb.jpg.859c3c655f23cb49c5a590051f17ef1b.jpgIMG_20201005_141358.thumb.jpg.ef548328ac51fb8b1d16dfd1a694215b.jpg

14 minutes ago, PJRay said:

Sorry to hijack your thread @Tattoedamatbut I got a 2012 sov a couple of months back from Baird and it looks decidedly better quality than all my other sovs.

I wonder if someone with better knowledge than me could take a quick look and let me know if it looks better than bullion standard?

IMG_20201005_141314.thumb.jpg.859c3c655f23cb49c5a590051f17ef1b.jpgIMG_20201005_141358.thumb.jpg.ef548328ac51fb8b1d16dfd1a694215b.jpg

This is a Proof 2012- if graded PF/ PR 70 there's a a grand sat right there.  

5 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

This is a Proof 2012- if graded PF/ PR 70 there's a a grand sat right there.  

1 minute ago, Tattoedamat said:

Thanks @richatthecroft I'm fairly sure his version is far better than fine though it does get me thinking and we'll have to have another look.

Congrats @PJRay

That'd be a most welcome bit of luck. I don't know what to do with it now. 😅

1 minute ago, PJRay said:

That'd be a most welcome bit of luck. I don't know what to do with it now. 😅

If you paid Bu price and it has imperfections simply enjoy owning it- it will still be worth a lot more than what you paid.  
If it’s a nice example- grade it and enjoy it, or take the £600 profit.

Nice pick up. 

1 hour ago, Tattoedamat said:

No worries mate it does look exceptional doesn't it 😀

Maybe @ilovesilverireallydo @LawrenceChard could step in and help on this question?

Yes, I agree, it can only be a proof (I wonder if BbP know the difference? 🙂
Also, I wonder what they paid for it?

Can't be sure from the photos whether it is PF/ PR 70 though.

Here's my suggestion, either order another 100, and complain if they aren't up to the standard of your test order, or get it slabbed, and complain if it doesn't get PF/ PR 70.

... Or you could be honest, and tell them!

Chards

22 hours ago, Tattoedamat said:

I second that opinion and I've not really got anything of gradable quality, I don't count recent (less than 10 yr old mintings) as most of my sovereigns are pre 1960 and circulated.

I'm fairly sure the coin in question is bullion not proof unless a certain Blackpool seller we know and love has felt extra generous 😉🤫

Many years ago now, while trying to come up with concise coin grade designations for printed adverts and lists (remember print?), I thought of BU Mint State. Luckily it only took a fraction of a second to realise that the acronym BUMS might not be too popular.

This reminds me of a very old, and very distant relative, who spent his working life in high level education. He told me that in discussion about the amalgamation of Newcastle University and Sunderland Polytechnic, the question of a new name arose. My relation suggested Central University of Newcastle on Tyne. For some reason, this name was not adopted.

Chards

21 hours ago, GoldStatue said:

Wow, that's so lucky. I can't believe a dealer has mistaken a proof coin of 5k mintage for a bullion coin.

How often does that happen/has anyone seen that before?

I'm sure I've heard of at least one other member here ordering random bullion sovs and receiving the occasional coin better than expected.

Archived