• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Shipping from USA to UK.

Woodster

I've just paid for a coin from someone in USA. (not on here). And they are saying its a prohibited product to ship, and they have said this to me. In the customs form it says that it's prohibited to ship platinum, gold and silver coins. Any suggestions?

What can I tell him? Don't want to be spending a lot more on import taxes

I think it maybe the first time he's sent to the UK. He's very responsive to my emails. I don't think he's trying to rip me off. He's just unsure of the shipping rules I think now 

I know someone who has shipped from US to UK. Select “gift” on the customs form. Description of the items, last time I checked these were collectible tokens. Also, best to keep the value of the item below $50. At least that is the usual value of the collectible tokens. This is merely a possible recommendation from someone we know. Potential risk in said course of action is insurability to the actual value, but that should be understood by both parties.

I send and receive packages from the US on a regular basis.  One lesson that we learned early on, if the US sender puts a business name on the return address, this makes the marking of gift null and void to UK customs.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users#:~:text=Goods sent as a gift,person(s) in the UK

For sending of coins/bullion to the US, I use the term medallions on the customs form.

Typically for coins/bullion coming to me the US, they use tokens or hobby supplies.

You can dispute charges but I never got back the handling fee even when they misread the dollar amount as British pounds but I did get some money back.

Knock on wood, I never had a package seized by UK customs or returned to the sender, but we know we are taking a risk of being caught out.

Here is how things can become tricky:

Duty is charged on:

the price paid for the goods, plus

any local sales taxes, plus

postage, packing and insurance

However, the cost of postage is excluded from the calculation for Customs Duty on gifts except where the sender has used the Express Mail Service (EMS) as opposed to a standard mail service.

I have received received an Express Mail Service package - all have been standard airmail.  Note the comment about insurance....so a clue to customs would be if insurance was taken out for more than the declared value. 

Many folks in the US don't want the hassle of sending goods outside of the continental 48 states, let alone to Europe. 

I hope this helps.  A bit more detail of how the deal came about might be useful.

Ken

USPS (as far as I understand it) does not forbid gold and silver in it's network, so maybe he was looking at a courier like UPS or DHL who do explicitly forbid gold and silver.

Fedex DOES allow it so get them to send by that method if they won't do it.

Unless it is a very valuable coin I don't know why USPS would not be an option though.

@Lr103 has sent a lot to members here in the UK before, any insights?

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

2 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

.@Lr103 has sent a lot to members here in the UK before, any insights?

As you said, USPS does not prohibit precious metals in its network. However, it does look like USPS technically prohibits precious metals to the UK, based on this listing of import restrictions imposed by destination countries:

https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/tz_018.htm

That said, I’ve never heard of any issues posting to the UK, other than it’s much slower than UPS, FedEx, or DHL.

Edit: It looks like the main risk is seizure of restricted items in the destination country, but again I’ve never heard of this happening with precious metals posted to the UK:

131.32 Prohibited and Restricted Articles

Articles that are prohibited by the destination country are nonmailable. For mail known to contain articles restricted by the destination country, the sender must be informed of the restrictions and advised that the articles are subject to the import requirements of that country.

131.33 Return or Seizure of Mail

A country may return or seize mail containing articles prohibited or restricted within that country, whether or not notice of such prohibition or restriction has been provided to or published by the Postal Service.

I always think honesty is the best policy.  I need to get an unusual (non-PM) item shipped from Australia to the U.K. as I can’t really travel to Australia at the moment.  

I am going to call U.K. Customs for some advice.  Previously they have been helpful (when I spoke to someone who knew their onions). 

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Archived