• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

how can i tell if i have a fake?

silverbuttons

hi all. 

as a newbie to this, i was wondering if i could get some advice on fake silver coins, i recently bought 4x 1 oz coins, 2 of them i believe to be genuine, but 2 seem a bit suspect, i ping test them and they sound odd compared to coins i know to be genuine, they are also different sizes to other 1 oz coins, i did put them on ice cubes and they started melting them on contact, any input would be appreciated, this purchase was not from a dealer so im not confident about my purchase

many thanks

The easiest way of determining the metal content is to take it to a good jeweller or bullion/coin dealer. Other methods are a specific gravity test 

Or post pics here so we can have a gander 

My favourite way to test 'general' bullion coins is still the neodymium magnet.

Really simple and I've found two fakes form fleabay this way - in fact I'm still using the one I received from Silvertraders.uk 5 years ago (thanks Martin if you're on here)!

They are also super cheap to buy and though there are certainly more definitive methods, they will certainly show up a cheap fake quickly - hold the coin and 45 degrees and let the magnet slide down it, you'll soon see the difference.

By the way, if I'm talking rubbish here someone PLEASE tell me as I've been randomly testing my stack for years like this!

heres a couple of pics, i just watched bybs video about fake coins and have ordered some magnets, the dims on these 2 coins seem a little off from the specs i found online, but i only have cheap digital calipers similar to the ones in the video. i dont have scales but will order some today

20200930_173744[1] 20200930_173759[1]

The Australian kangaroo appears to be okay.

One way to confirm is to check the security mark "A" as in the photo below.

I am less confident about the Athenian Owl just by the photo alone, though it appears genuine.

Edit:  also best to test them with a scale and with magnet  

Studio_20200930_195554.jpg

The coin is from 2016 with the security mark "A". I seem to remember 2017 is the same.

So unless the security mark has been replaced or moved somewhere else for subsequent years.

Other members should be able to confirm.

Edit:  

Source:  https://www.free-bullion-investment-guide.com/australian-1oz-silver-kangaroo-bullion-coin.html

In 2016, it was specifically stated that the 'micro-laser engraved' 'A' would only be found in first 'A' of AUSTRALIAN.

In 2017, the Perth Mint mint stated that the 'A' would be found in the third 'A' in AUSTRALIAN.

Click here and here to see examples of the 2017's 'A' placement in 'AUSTRALIAN.'

For 2018, the Perth Mint's Marketing brochure states that the 'A' can be found "within the coin's AUSTRALIAN KANGAROO heading;" no specific 'A' was specified.

On 30/09/2020 at 17:01, TownCalledMalice said:

My favourite way to test 'general' bullion coins is still the neodymium magnet.

Really simple and I've found two fakes form fleabay this way - in fact I'm still using the one I received from Silvertraders.uk 5 years ago (thanks Martin if you're on here)!

They are also super cheap to buy and though there are certainly more definitive methods, they will certainly show up a cheap fake quickly - hold the coin and 45 degrees and let the magnet slide down it, you'll soon see the difference.

By the way, if I'm talking rubbish here someone PLEASE tell me as I've been randomly testing my stack for years like this!

I hope you aren’t as I also rely on this and dimensions! Have done for years. Ping, magnet and size checks for me!

39 minutes ago, ShropshireTom said:

I hope you aren’t as I also rely on this and dimensions! Have done for years. Ping, magnet and size checks for me!

Oh they also get the ping, size and weight - think I should have said that a ping and size can make you very suspicious but a failed magnet test will confirm this.

Still no substitution (that I know of) for Sigma or the like. Trouble is every time I have the currency to buy one, I go and buy another pile of metal instead :rolleyes:

im still waiting on the scales and magnets i ordered ,to be delivered, hopefully will be tomorrow. the 2 i think are suspect, dont have that nice ring to them on a ping test, but as they are both coins i have never come across, that may not mean too much, will post my findings as soon as i can,

thanks for all the info everyone.

hi all 

just an update, the magnets, scales ,etc, i ordered, arrived this morning, the 2 coins i was suspect about , appear to be genuine, phew! i was a bit worried. 

thanks to you all for the suggestions on testing etc.

i feel a bit more  clued up about silver now , although i fear i may have crossed over from a newbie stacker to a collector, as i just bought a nice privy mark australian coin.:D oh dear i think i'm addicted to silver.

thanks again everyone.

Archived