• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

UK Lunar Bullion - No You Don't

Wow, that's the first time I remember hearing of a major producer abandoning a series of coins altogether. Sales must have been truly abysmal for them to completely give up on them.

I quite liked the horse - a stylized image with a definite Chinese feel to it - and assumed that they would extend that theme to the rest of the series but instead they went with a totally different image style for every single coin.

The sheep was pretty weird, the pot-bellied monkey ugly, the rooster okay-ish, the dog was a crazy cartoon, the pig was horrible, and the rat was the stuff of nightmares. Not so much a series of coins as a series of nightmarish random flashbacks.

That said, in retrospect the crazy cartoon dog is by far my favourite of the 'series'.

53 minutes ago, FoolzGold said:

Wow, that's the first time I remember hearing of a major producer abandoning a series of coins altogether. Sales must have been truly abysmal for them to completely give up on them.

I quite liked the horse - a stylized image with a definite Chinese feel to it - and assumed that they would extend that theme to the rest of the series but instead they went with a totally different image style for every single coin.

The sheep was pretty weird, the pot-bellied monkey ugly, the rooster okay-ish, the dog was a crazy cartoon, the pig was horrible, and the rat was the stuff of nightmares. Not so much a series of coins as a series of nightmarish random flashbacks.

That said, in retrospect the crazy cartoon dog is by far my favourite of the 'series'.

I dislike the rooster most of all - fat chicken coin, quite like the horse and the pig.

I've got a few bullion versions in 1/4 oz gold - sheep, monkey, dog and rat - that might the lot now though.

I have a few Monkeys and I bought my Mum a couple of Roosters, as these are our own Chinese Lunar signs.  
I quite like those two designs, but had no interest in collecting the series.
I suppose that collectors of Lunar coins have stuck to the more established series from other mints such as the Perth Mint.

The non-uniformity (randomness, bizarreness) of the designs didn't help much either!

Because that series started when I started stacking and my interest in silver I went with it, obviously in hindsight I should have gone in heavier with the Queens Beasts instead but I have 2 of every proof release up to the pig and a tube of every bullion release as well as forking out for a display box which is now useless, this is the equivalent of when a TV series gets canned without ever wrapping up any of the plot lines, true it was not the best but to say I am annoyed would be an understatement.  I see they are still selling the 1oz proof and the overpriced cupro nickel release so that makes it look like it's purely the profit the Royal Mint are interested in.  They just lost a customer, Once my Queens Beast series is complete I am done with them.

• 1 year later...

Any update on this series that ended with the 2020 rat ?
There are RM 2021 ox and 2022 tigers out there but not in the bullion silver version.
Irritating having completed the series since launch with a half filled bespoke box.