• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

UK £2-50p's Commemorative, Olympics circulated

CollectorNo1

Living in the UK I watch YouTube...an aray of different collectors posting videos of coin hunts on circulated UKcoins with the above denominations all in bags of  £500 worth of 50p's - £2 coins from their banks....etc...I am confused as why you would do this.....and my reasons are as follows...

The coins are all circulated and in poor condition.

Occasionally a kew gardens pops up which is cool.

Out of all the coins..on average 10-20 commemorative coins are found but are in poor condition.

If you are a coin collector why wouldnt you just buy the BUNCS's or Proofs, Silver n Gold proofs as these are going to be an investment and rise in value in the future...

Why collect used,circulated,scratched,dented coins that are maybe a £1 or £2 over face value????????

Are these YOUTUBE  videos just for entertainment and fun..

What are your views..I'd be really interested to know and if I'm missing something here...

Thanks.....

It's probably about trying find all the possible different designs, at a cost of face value.

A few years ago I did this several times at my bank.  Converted £200 into bags of coins and then sorted through them.  I must have sorted through about £1000 in 50ps (2000 coins) and about £2000 in £2 coins (1000 coins).

As a result of this, I found the Olympic 50p coins that i was missing (didn't find a Kew or a Jemima Puddle Duck though) and I found all the £2 coins that I was looking for, apart from a Northern Ireland Commonwealth Games, a Wales Commonwealth Games and a 2015 Britannia.

If I found multiple examples of the same coin I recycled them back to the bank in most cases - I did keep a few of the Magna Carta and Royal Navy £2 coins as spares!

If you enjoy looking at coins, sorting through bags of coins is a pleasure rather than a chore.  In the same way, I always enjoy looking at someone else's coins if they ask me to give them an idea of value (or even to tell them exactly what they are!).

Some of the coins in the bags from the bank are in terrible condition even after a couple of years, but there are quite a few that are still in very good condition indeed - a strong EF still - and sometimes considerably better.

It's a bit of fun for people who enjoy collecting and probably aren't thinking of selling them.

It's for the fun of it not for profit. If you find a rarer coin that's just a bonus.

I am encouraged by the number of younger people showing an interest in coins - some of those will grow up to be numismatists and possibly even..................................... stackers !

If you don't understand it then you have no soul 😁

Hi

If you have been looking at “Christopher Collects” on YouTube he has about 44k viewer. I think this will net him a few k a year.   Maybe 5?

Others in the forum will be able to put me right but it’s probably a useful income stream as well as being of personal interest to him   

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

It's all about the excitement of finding a valuable coin. "When I was a lad" growing up in the late 60's I'd search the change in all my relatives pockets and purses (with permission), searching for pre 1947 silver, and even better finding pre 1920's silver, which happened regularly. The hunt never left me and now I have at least one of all the recent circulated £2 and 50p coins, including 2 Kew Garden 50p's.

As long as the royal mint keep releasing commemorative coins people will collect, and if the kids do it then we've another generation of collectors to follow. ☺️

I collect gold sovereigns mainly victorian...also piedfort silver coins sets....not to flip but for future investment...we all have our own preferences...but my research tells me....obviously gold sovereigns are the best for investment..but piedforts are 2nd best and hold their value and increase in value....time will tell.....???

Regards...

On 02/10/2020 at 21:08, CollectorNo1 said:

I collect gold sovereigns mainly victorian...also piedfort silver coins sets....not to flip but for future investment...we all have our own preferences...but my research tells me....obviously gold sovereigns are the best for investment..but piedforts are 2nd best and hold their value and increase in value....time will tell.....???

Regards...

Surely, for most Gold sovereigns, their long term investment value, as bullion coins, rises (mostly) and sometimes falls, with the price of Gold. Kudos to those collectors who can spot a desirable PM (or just RM) coin trend very early on, back it with their hard earned cash, and wait for a few years to sell out at an above-Gold (or Silver) spot price rise.

After reading all these comments it's down to individual choice..there is no guarantee as someone who wants to invest for the future which will be the best to collect..SILVER,GOLD,COMMEMORATIVE COINS...SETS..NEW OR OLD SOVEREIGNS...PIEDFORTS,PROOFS ETC.....ITS ALL A GAMBLE..YOU JUST HAVE TO GO WITH WHAT YOU AS A COLLECTOR WILL GIVE YOU A GOOD RETURN FOR YOUR COINS IN THE FUTURE AND REALISE A INVESTMENTFOR  THE FUTURE

REGARDS

Yeah I know what your saying...but as I understand you need a business account to get £250 50p's £500 2 pound coins etc...from banks post offices...that's not my thing...I'm more interested in gold....sovreigns old and new...would like to have the money for the 1oz gold Britannia's-ASE,MAPLES.ETC...that's my objective in collecting.

I have a few but must admit I got sidelined by :-

£2 British proofs

50p silver proofs

some commemorative  sets 

as these are more affordable..they are BEAUTIFUL coins and I initially thought they would be a good investment, especially the piedforts....but now considering selling them to diversify my collection and just invest in bullion..still not sure as I have some really nice piedfort sets but I've been listening to people who have more experience and knowledge  and the general consensus is they are not worth it..I.e for investing

the trouble is...different people...different opinions....

so it's a simple case...sell my proofs,sets,commemorative coins and invest that in bullion..or keep them hoping they will return some profit..or just stick with bullion...GOLD/SILVER...OTS A QUANDRY???????

REGARDS

On 28/09/2020 at 22:01, Stuntman said:

It's probably about trying find all the possible different designs, at a cost of face value.

A few years ago I did this several times at my bank.  Converted £200 into bags of coins and then sorted through them.  I must have sorted through about £1000 in 50ps (2000 coins) and about £2000 in £2 coins (1000 coins).

As a result of this, I found the Olympic 50p coins that i was missing (didn't find a Kew or a Jemima Puddle Duck though) and I found all the £2 coins that I was looking for, apart from a Northern Ireland Commonwealth Games, a Wales Commonwealth Games and a 2015 Britannia.

If I found multiple examples of the same coin I recycled them back to the bank in most cases - I did keep a few of the Magna Carta and Royal Navy £2 coins as spares!

Do you still need a duck, got a spare or two

Hi

I have 3 ducks thankyou..also got 3 ww1 with the flag errors...

I started to get a few £2 50p's in my change but then started buying the proofs and buncs online probably about 20 I purchased at the best price I could but have put that on hold now as want to concentrate more on Silver n Gold...still looking for some olympics but not too fussed about those..and although they are cheap to purchase I'd rather try n find them in my change also I have a few friends who look out for them and give them to me...

Regards

Archived