• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

$5 and $10 Bank of Canada Gold Coins + EII Gold Specimen $20 1961 Gold Coin

Brian01

Recently I acquired a 1913-c Sovereign ... very expensive but I needed it for my PCGS set registry (Guineapig) but this doesn’t visually compare with the following.:- 

$5 and $10 Bank of Canada Gold Coins from the Canada Exchange Fund - these are, in my opinion, absolutely exceptional coins and visually quite exceptional. I also came across EII 1961 $20 Gold Specimen coins, which are even more visually acceptable... I have yet to find a PCGS example.

i wonder what members views are on these coins?

Best wishes

Guineapig 

The $5 and $10 Canadian gold coins are stunning - among my favourites. The only trouble is getting them in Europe without paying over the odds. Given that so many of these coins were kept in reserve then sold directly by the Canadian Mint in 2012 or so there are some really great condition examples floating around out there that can be picked up at decent prices in North America. I've found its a better deal generally going for those and paying to ship them over versus paying over the odds for the few examples that change hands more locally.

Hi Dicker 

Hopefully the link to the $10 Canada Reserve Fund Gold Coin and the Canadian $20 Independence Centenary 1967 Gold Coin work?

Thanks AppleZippoandMetronome for providing more information on these stunning gold coins. 

I think the $10 and $5 coins released by the Bank of Canada were all high grade and I wonder if any PCGS $10 and $5 coins are currently available. I have seen them on EBay but often the sellers are unwilling to ship to the UK. I did manage to get a $10 PCGS MS63 from a Heritage auction recently. It’s a substantial coin weighing 16.72 grams containing 0.4838 oz of fine gold - Mintage 149,232.

I believe the 1912 $10 and $5 were minted from gold from the Klondike and the later coins from the Ontario gold fields. 

I haven’t seen a Canadian $20 Indendence Centenary 1967 Gold Coin ... do any members know anything about this great looking coin?

7BE96DD7-7612-4ADB-88D2-FB0CC8BFDED3.png

97D34D4D-4777-4D7C-9256-31507B229DDC.jpeg

On 27/09/2020 at 17:01, Brian01 said:

Hi Dicker 

Hopefully the link to the $10 Canada Reserve Fund Gold Coin and the Canadian $20 Independence Centenary 1967 Gold Coin work?

Thanks AppleZippoandMetronome for providing more information on these stunning gold coins. 

I think the $10 and $5 coins released by the Bank of Canada were all high grade and I wonder if any PCGS $10 and $5 coins are currently available. I have seen them on EBay but often the sellers are unwilling to ship to the UK. I did manage to get a $10 PCGS MS63 from a Heritage auction recently. It’s a substantial coin weighing 16.72 grams containing 0.4838 oz of fine gold - Mintage 149,232.

I believe the 1912 $10 and $5 were minted from gold from the Klondike and the later coins from the Ontario gold fields. 

I haven’t seen a Canadian $20 Indendence Centenary 1967 Gold Coin ... do any members know anything about this great looking coin?

Taught me something there so thanks for that - I wasn't aware of where the gold originated. As for condition of the $5 and $10 - you see most as high grade because they were never circulated. They were kept in reserve at the mint then in the early 2010s they were rediscovered, hand sorted and they selected a bunch of the best examples then sold those. Thats why a lot of that batch that were graded have the "Canada Reserve" or some similar wording on the label.

I myself considered that Heritage coin - it is a beauty and they so rarely come up for sale here. I considered myself very lucky to win the ungraded one that came up in the Coin Cabinet auction this past Sunday. There was a thread on here early in the new year asking what coins people wanted to add to their collections this year and it was these $5 and $10 for me - very glad to have ticked both off the list.

As for that 1967 $20 it appeared as part of the specimen set they released to mark Canada's Centenary. It came in a leather presentation case and the coins (Centennial versions of the 1cent, 5cent, 10cent, 25cent, 50cent and $1) were set into a tray. According to my book the mintage or amount sold was 334288 so fairly substantial. These sets do come up on ebay semi regularly - a few times a year from my experience. I've not done a thorough search but a basic one turned up this listing that is currently available though I'd say the price is on the high side:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1967-Royal-Canadian-mint-Canada-centennial-20-Gold-and-Silver-specimen-coin-set-/123818428695

I'll also attach a couple pics from one of my Charlton Press reference books that relate to the 1967 $20

20200928_230315.jpg

20200928_230428.jpg

Many thanks AZ&M ... such an interesting update on the two coins. I hadn’t realised that the gold 1967 $20 100th Anniversary Coin was part of a set. 

Do you know the size and weight of the specimen gold 1967 $20 100th Anniversary of Confederation?  

I agree with you the price of the set on EBay appears high relative to the number produced but the gold content of the $20 could have a bearing on this, although it seems unlikely, as the $20 looks to be the size of a sovereign?

I note that Drake Sterling currently have two exceptionally high grade 1914 $10 Canada Reserve Fund... PCGS MS65 at AUD $5,750 and MS65+ at AUD $7,500. In my view I don’t think these prices are justifiable? They may be rare from a grading point of view but certainly not from the point of view of the number released by the Bank of Canada in 2012. 

I contacted a London ‘Numismatist’ yesterday as I couldn’t understand why the 1913-C Sovereign was rated R4 by Marsh and yet to date 188 have been slabbed by PCGS and NGC combined. Marsh in the 1980’s defined R4 as 11-20 examples estimated to have survived - Extremely Rare. My London contact reckons that around the time The Bank of Canada released the Reserve Fund $10 & $5 coins they also released Ottawa minted sovereigns to the market place?

I wonder if you, or any other members, have any information on whether the Bank of Canada released any Ottawa minted sovereigns after the 1980’s when Michael Marsh wrote his book ‘The Gold Sovereign’? Clearly with #188 1913-C coins slabbed together with other non-slabbed 1913-C sovereigns in circulation these can hardly be considered to be extremely rare? In his somewhat characteristic way my London dealer dryly commented that in his opinion he now considers the 1913-C to be ‘common’ ...... (Marsh rarity definition). 

Hi Brian

Interesting about the possible late release of 1913 Sovereigns, I had not heard that before.  

Equally, I do not think they are common in any respect from what I have seen...

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Archived