• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hattons of London Dunkirk 1/4 sovereign

Fishface220

:huh: That's an odd play.   Cant see there's that sort of market for these to be worth £200, ebay certainly doesnt show it (one for £105 anyone interested). They'll have details of most holders, so not much value there.  Marketing gimmick?  Something else?

15 minutes ago, SteveEMA said:

I've got one not sure if I'll let it go at the moment, as first piece of gold I've purchased. 

Take them up on the offer and then double your 'in hand' gold weight to a Royal Mint half sov.

Doubt you'll be offered a 100% premium for this coin ever again!

Wow that is weird - just had a look at it and it'd take a whole fistful of sausage fingers to produce that offer by mistake.

Odd thing is I had a phone call from Hattons earlier this week trying to flog me the other Dunkirk sovs (as I bought this one). Nice fella but he didn't mention this?

Have to say as well that I was really pleased with the whole package for this 1/4 sov (including the Dunkirk book). 

Hats off to Hattons and well worth the £99!

I'm in no way experienced with any kind of selling standards etc for coins but is this something that could be considered odd? Or even bad? Or maybe even good? Maybe it's just common to sell a coin and have the images not quite match but if it's not then this may explain the huge premium. Anyone have any knowledge on this?

I'm likely to call them on Monday anyway but it's just something I noticed. 

357612927_Screenshot_20200926-1305452.png.a7e14757be2606e13d0ab7fb0eb8c156.png

2123628435_IMG_20200926_1304379672.thumb.jpg.e35ecd849b4fd34f3ba4635d88534f2b.jpg

12 minutes ago, TownCalledMalice said:

Interesting - looks like one of us has a mule and I'm pretty sure it's you!

Interesting to see what others members have?

You never know, this buyback may be in the hope of tracking down your 'prototype' sent out in error??? :D

Either way, great spot!

dunkirk (9 of 1).jpg

Oh my that's so Interesting! I figured maybe they were all like mine. I guess we've got some rare shinies out there. Now I guess I will likely not be calling them on Monday. Does this also mean that the mintage of your coin is technically lower, too? Sorry for the rookie questions :). I came to PMs for bullion mostly. Now look what I've got myself into. 

lol - I'm in the same boat as you (the Daffodil in this case!).

Love me a rare shiny and think you may have one - promo photos have to be what the rest are like.

5 minutes ago, Katie said:

Now look what I've got myself into. 

As for this, once I got my bullion stack up I started hoovering up pre-1947 UK coins at spot or below and before you know it I've bought a loupe and I'm grading the little bugg*rs.

Once you start, there's no going back...

16 minutes ago, Katie said:

Does this also mean that the mintage of your coin is technically lower, too?

I guess so if some (one?) are different but I don't suspect it'll make much difference. Was interesting to see just how popular these 1/4 sovs were though.

It's going to interesting to see if anyone else has one like yours - you may just have #1 of 1. 

Let's say that your coin is actually the 1 of 1. If that were the case then does that mean yours is the rare coin despite it being intended to have the shield? Or does that still mean that the 3998 unshielded coins are rare? Or both? I hope noone on here has got rid of theirs yet. :) This could make for an exciting investigation.

Sorry for the double post.

Also, if it's a mistake it's a large one. Even my paperwork has no shield. Did yours?

IMG_20200926_150557399.thumb.jpg.c95ee35aaebd55e4a87a9f45fb4e58e4.jpg

And I wanted to take a minute to say how wild the outer packaging is for these guys. It screams 'steal me, I'm gold'.

IMG_20200926_150526021.thumb.jpg.3d3952dbe8bd7cb39ae9baff93a1e9dc.jpg

30 minutes ago, Katie said:

It screams 'steal me, I'm gold'

lol - perhaps printing 'THIS PACKAGE CONTAINS NOTHING OF VALUE - DO NOT STEAL' on the front would help?

I think I've spotted the difference - according to the COA mine is a proof yet it's not stated on yours?

I'm pretty sure they only made one version of this coin and there's no mention of a 'proof' version on their website? Also, as you pointed out int he original post, the sov pictured has a shield on it?

What does your COA say on page 3? - Mine indicates a mintage of 1999 not 3999?

This is getting odd.

If anyone else is out there - which version do you have?

dunkirk_coa2 (9 of 1).jpg

dunkirk_coa3 (9 of 1).jpg

Mine says 3999. It's odd because it appears that the shieldless version also has been put into the set in at least one instance. With the paperwork too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-2020-DUNKIRK-80TH-ANNIVERSARY-GOLD-QUARTER-HALF-AND-FULL-SOVEREIGN-SET/143690743916?hash=item2174a2c06c:g:kTIAAOSwiSBfP8dX

Looks like the shield is on proof coins then.... 

Maybe that’s why the are trying to buy them back so they can complete the sets with all proof or all non proof. 

Think i’ll keep mine anyway.

(nice spot in the first place thou.)

Have you had the “sell out” COA come thru? 

Archived