• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 10,000+ forum members. 

Kilo Milestone Reached

Congratulations @richatthecroft! A well deserved pat on the back for your first kilo 😀

And not just any old kilo, that's the stack of a discerning gent right there. I fear you may struggle to part with it 😉

It's a nice predicament to have.

As much as I love Sovereigns, I'm particularly drawn to the Libertads 😍

(the eternal sunshine of the sagacious mind?)

Edited by Roy

Technically, alcohol is a solution..

In Omnia Paratus

Thanks @Roy 😃

Yes, my strategy of buying subjectively ‘nice’ coins is to attempt to mitigate the effects of erratic Spot Price movement- some, but I acknowledge not all, semi- numismatic coins will always be sought after and attract premium way above Spot.

Libertads are a good example- try and buy one right now, Bu or Proof- an exhaustive google search might trawl up a handful at best, available to buy worldwide.  The erratic and often tiny mintages means demand outstripping supply.

I think your absolutely right, this little lot will be a difficult flip come the time. 

I think there’s a lot of merit in buying the good, the bad and the ugly in quantity and close to spot.  I guess I might well have achieved this milestone a long time ago if I did so.  I’ve always lacked a store of bog standard bullion coins, but going forward I intend to accumulate such a store 😉

Edited by richatthecroft
Grammar
17 minutes ago, GoldStatue said:

Congratulations, that's a milestone I can only dream of getting to at the moment.

Looking through your sovereign collection I noticed there are no 2002 proof's, did you deliberately miss out on that years special design? Was there any particular reason for that you seem to have all the others.

Thank you 😊 I’m sure you’ll get where you want to be in time- my advice is just take your time and focus, do your own research and seek help and advice here on the Forum- there’s lots of nice people who will impart sound advice and their own experiences.

Asking yourself what your exit strategy and plan long term is the most important starting point. 

In terms of the 2002’s not purposely- nice Sovereigns and I did own the Half, sovereign and 2 Pound but flipped them (as well as other ‘special’ design Sovereigns, in favour of 2x Libertad sets I was fortunate enough to have being offered.  I’ve just not got around to buying the 2002 back- plenty of time to do so- I wish the same could be said of backdating  Libertad sets 🤨

Edited by richatthecroft
2 hours ago, richatthecroft said:

...and made me realise just how much cash I was squandering prior to investing.

Exactly this! you are certainly not alone here - it makes me question and challenge myself before buying items which will never give a return. I now convert almost all purchases into "how much gold could that buy" 😄.... 

Well done @richatthecroft!

Echoing the thoughts above - what a fantastic collection of coins in your kilo.

My own gold journey is very similar to yours: I started stacking/collecting gold seriously in 2017 (I did have 7 sovereigns prior to that, so a bit of a head start) and I have also passed the physical kilo milestone this year.

So I probably need to take some photos and add them to your thread! 😄

35 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Well done @richatthecroft!

Echoing the thoughts above - what a fantastic collection of coins in your kilo.

My own gold journey is very similar to yours: I started stacking/collecting gold seriously in 2017 (I did have 7 sovereigns prior to that, so a bit of a head start) and I have also passed the physical kilo milestone this year.

So I probably need to take some photos and add them to your thread! 😄

Congratulations to you too- be great to see your collection photos 👍 

41 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Here's my first kilo.  57 coins in total, comprising 1022.77g of pure gold 😀

All UK coins, most of them bullion coins. Most of them now housed in Quadrum capsules.  I apologise in advance for the quality of the photos... (EDIT - photos aren't in the right order, can't work out how to move them...)

1 oz Queen's Beasts (I also have the Greyhound winging its way to me at the time of posting):

1 oz Britannias - including Oriental Britannias and 2017 30th Anniversary privy:
Other 1 oz coins - Lunar Monkey, Two Dragons, Royal Arms:

1/4 oz Queen's Beasts (plus a Greyhound also in transit):

Other 1/4 oz coins - Lunar Monkey, Gold Standard:

Bullion sovereigns that I won as first prize in 10k road races between 2003 and 2006:

Other bullion sovereigns - 2002, 2012 (both bought in 2015), 2017-20, 2020 Double, 2000 Quintuple:

The Brilliant Uncirculated Qulntuples, plus a Brilliant Uncirculated 1/10 oz Lunar Monkey:

And the spares - two 1 oz Queen's Beasts and four bullion sovereigns.  These will either be sold, or become the start of a stack, to be sold later!

Thanks for sharing- and congratulations on gathering them all up, what a Kilo- each and every one of them a sought after coin, I'm guessing this was no accident 😉- as John Peel said of the first Undertones LP:  'there's no fillers here' 👍 😄