• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2021 Sovereigns

Fadeingstar

Hello Forum.

I am looking for some advice as I have never really bought gold before only silver. Next year I am looking at buying 2 half sovereigns as gifts for my mum and dad who turn 60 and 65 respectivly. Just like the ones linked below.

https://www.royalmint.com/sovereign/2020-gold-proof-sovereign/half-sovereign-2020-gold-proof-coin/

Does anyone know in the past when such things have been released and if the royal mint is the best place historically to buy such things from?

Thanks for your help.

The 2020 Proofs come with a Privy, the bu dont. If you or your parents dont care about such things, get the bu as Coolsmp says.

Just thought, why not get them a half from the year they were born? You could always buy presentation cases for them. Probably cheaper overall.

2 hours ago, Coolsmp said:

Get the ones from Harrington & Byrne £199 each at the moment albeit 2020 version comes in nice packaging. Not as nice as the proofs though but big price difference which you're likey to lose money on.

What is going to make you the happiest? If someone gives you a proof sovereign for special gift, or a cheapskate bullion one?

Fadeingstar, to answer your question.. the next year's proof sovereigns are normally released towards the end of the year, I think either in October or November. I'll have to check. I'm also trying to save up for that occasion, the 2021 proof release.

Get new proof sovereigns directly from the Royal Mint, or else Chards usually sell them at a small discount (but they do add delivery to the price.. all in all should be a bit cheaper than RM).

12 hours ago, Fadeingstar said:

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping they would be released this year. Might have to sell some more silver to pay for these.

They will surely be released before the end of this year based on their annual release pattern.

One thing to note... 2021 is HM’s 95th birthday so the RM will not miss the opportunity to do something special even if it is just putting on a tiny privy mark.

So the 2021 Sovereign may be doubly special for your parents to own.

The bullion ones however may not have any special feature, so there’s that.

Best to save about £1,000 in case you decide to buy 2 proofs.

Or maybe gift them 2 Half-sovereigns because, you know, two halves make a full. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/09/2020 at 10:34, westminstrel said:

They will surely be released before the end of this year based on their annual release pattern.

One thing to note... 2021 is HM’s 95th birthday so the RM will not miss the opportunity to do something special even if it is just putting on a tiny privy mark.

So the 2021 Sovereign may be doubly special for your parents to own.

The bullion ones however may not have any special feature, so there’s that.

Best to save about £1,000 in case you decide to buy 2 proofs.

Or maybe gift them 2 Half-sovereigns because, you know, two halves make a full. 🙂

Most likely another over priced SOTD to mark The Queen’s 95th Birthday. 🙄

Unless it’s really what you want I’d steer clear of these and stick with standard bullion or proofs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/09/2020 at 21:30, goldmember44 said:

What is going to make you the happiest? If someone gives you a proof sovereign for special gift, or a cheapskate bullion one?

Fadeingstar, to answer your question.. the next year's proof sovereigns are normally released towards the end of the year, I think either in October or November. I'll have to check. I'm also trying to save up for that occasion, the 2021 proof release.

Get new proof sovereigns directly from the Royal Mint, or else Chards usually sell them at a small discount (but they do add delivery to the price.. all in all should be a bit cheaper than RM).

The proof ones should look like this:

2021 Gold Sovereign Elizabeth II Proof Mockup Preview - Reverse

Our photoshopped preview showing how we expect the 2021 proof sovereign to look. Sometimes the Royal Mint make some changes.
My theory is they do it to spike us!

Chards

6 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Our photoshopped preview showing how we expect the 2021 proof sovereign to look. Sometimes the Royal Mint make some changes.

Nice one. I wonder if they are going to continue in their habit of reducing the mintage to add exclusivity. The 2020 one sold out fairly quickly. 

4 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

Nice one. I wonder if they are going to continue in their habit of reducing the mintage to add exclusivity. The 2020 one sold out fairly quickly. 

Quite possibly.

I don't think their actual intention is to add exclusivity, more likely limited to how many they think they can sell, bearing in mind that to expand demand increases marketing costs, and that slightly underestimating probably helps long term customer satisfaction.

Do I sound slightly cynical?

Chards

8 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I’d be highly surprised if they didn’t do something special for HM’s 95th birthday. They’ve done this for less popular and important years / occasions. 😏

9 hours ago, westminstrel said:

I’d be highly surprised if they didn’t do something special for HM’s 95th birthday. They’ve done this for less popular and important years / occasions. 😏

Here goes:

2021elizabethiifullsovereigngoldproofMOCKUPrevwith95thbirthday

Although I doubt the Royal Mint will use birthday balloons.

Chards

21 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I am sure the Royal Mint would never do that!

2021sovereign.png

15 hours ago, Zhorro said:

I am sure the Royal Mint would never do that!

2021sovereign.png

Haha this is brilliant!!! We should all petition the Royal Mint to adopt the face mask for St. George. He's setting the example for all us when we have to queue at the post office to post or collect our metals

• 5 weeks later...

Archived