• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal mint + NGC link up

Lr103

I might be looking at it as somebody who has never sent a coin for grading,and may get torn to shreds.😁 But arent the R.M. just offering a grading service with a guaranteed outcome for £30(for the silver). How much does it cost including all postage to send a coin to get graded?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Jimmock said:

I might be looking at it as somebody who has never sent a coin for grading,and may get torn to shreds.😁 But arent the R.M. just offering a grading service with a guaranteed outcome for £30(for the silver). How much does it cost including all postage to send a coin to get graded?

You’re correct in relation to silver, but not many choose to grade silver coins.

I definitely agree with those above - this speaks volumes to how Royal Mint approaches their QC. It also shows they can get it right if they make the effort but clearly don't think its worth taking that effort. I suppose there is probably someone who has crunched the numbers and figured its cheaper to replace a certain amount of coins versus changing their process to ensure all coins come out perfect.

As for them being a public company doing this to generate profit...  I'm not against it. I'd rather publicly owned companies be profitable then rely on taking funds from the public purse. The reality is that they do need to look at other ways to generate income and this feels to me like the lesser evil than say what the Royal Canadian Mint has done.

1 hour ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

As for them being a public company doing this to generate profit...  I'm not against it. I'd rather publicly owned companies be profitable then rely on taking funds from the public purse. The reality is that they do need to look at other ways to generate income and this feels to me like the lesser evil than say what the Royal Canadian Mint has done.

I'm certainly not against them making a profit either, but I hold the view that they should not be doing this particular thing AT ALL.  It's not part of their remit, in my opinion.  If the aren't making a profit from their core remit I would rather they wound down their core activities.

Considering a RM proof one ounce silver coin is often marked up by around £50 over a bullion coin, i have to ask - what is the premium for ?

I always assumed it was there to ensure that the quality was as near to perfect as they could make it and coins that don't make the grade are destroyed. This enterprise would suggest that this is far from the case - if you want to ensure you recieve a proof coin in the best of condition you will need to shell out a further premium by having it QC'ed by an outside party.

The RM clearly didn't think this through in their never ending money grab. The only conclusion that any right-minded person could come to is that this is an admission that the RMs own quality control is severley lacking.

"The Royal Mint strikes all its coins to very high standards, but the highest standard of all is Proof".

"After striking, each coin is inspected for imperfections. The dies are cleaned with air between each coin to ensure that no marks or imperfections are caused during striking".

35 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

Considering a RM proof one ounce silver coin is often marked up by around £50 over a bullion coin, i have to ask - what is the premium for ?

I always assumed it was there to ensure that the quality was as near to perfect as they could make it and coins that don't make the grade are destroyed. This enterprise would suggest that this is far from the case - if you want to ensure you recieve a proof coin in the best of condition you will need to shell out a further premium by having it QC'ed by an outside party.

The RM clearly didn't think this through in their never ending money grab. The only conclusion that any right-minded person could come to is that this is an admission that the RMs own quality control is severley lacking.

"The Royal Mint strikes all its coins to very high standards, but the highest standard of all is Proof".

"After striking, each coin is inspected for imperfections. The dies are cleaned with air between each coin to ensure that no marks or imperfections are caused during striking".

Type in the above - I have corrected it:

"After striking, each coin is inspected for imperfections. The dies are cleaned with hair between each coin to ensure that many marks and imperfections are caused during striking".

On 04/08/2020 at 15:18, Lr103 said:

If you follow this link, they have several graded coins for sale (including one extremely expensive PCGS coin!). But it looks like only the £2 silver and gold Mayflowers have the Royal Mint label. 

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/mayflower/?__ja=tsid%3a38667|kw%3aE2140F&utm_medium=email&utm_source=product-launch&utm_campaign=2020-08-com-mayflower&utm_content=main-cta

Do you have some special RM access? Because I don't see these new Mayflower graded coins in the list unless given a direct link to the coin as in your first post...

1 hour ago, goldmember44 said:

Do you have some special RM access? Because I don't see these new Mayflower graded coins in the list unless given a direct link to the coin as in your first post...

No idea but I found the gold one by searching “NGC” on their site:

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/mayflower/400th-anniversary-of-the-voyage-of-the-mayflower-2020-gold-proof-slabbed-coin/

Searching “slabbed” returns the silver coin too. Weird listings I think!! 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

25 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

No idea but I found the gold one by searching “NGC” on their site:

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/mayflower/400th-anniversary-of-the-voyage-of-the-mayflower-2020-gold-proof-slabbed-coin/

Searching “slabbed” returns the silver coin too. Weird listings I think!! 

Ah I see, thanks. These are definitely kind of "hidden" on the website... maybe deliberately. Perhaps they only notify certain members about them. They do have tiered membership...

40 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

Ah I see, thanks. These are definitely kind of "hidden" on the website... maybe deliberately. Perhaps they only notify certain members about them. They do have tiered membership...

I bet they have their own slabbed / graded / PF70 section soon! 😉 

On 05/08/2020 at 02:50, Oldun said:

I feel sorry for the QB series proof collectors if the RM pre grades. The final coin/coins are going to be expensive ! It may even see some current proof series collectors give up and sell short term. And as for the Great Engravers Series........plebs will have to settle for less quality at a higher price....only those with major moolah will be in the game. 50%+  of ordininary buyers of proofs just got told they are out of the game of PF70s.

It certainly has taken the jam out of  RM proof collectors’ doughnuts and the fun in getting a 70.

Why, the graded PF 70s from anyone else are expensive & who says the royal mint are going to grade queens beasts. It doesn't make a great deal of sense IMHO as the set is nearly finished with only 2 to go.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Actually, I prefer "manually" graded coins over factory issued ones... that's why I collect mostly coins with the ordinary brown label -- all these pre-graded coins get special labels and often FR/ER designations. Whenever I have a choice I always pick the standard labelled ones.

7 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

Actually, I prefer "manually" graded coins over factory issued ones... that's why I collect mostly coins with the ordinary brown label -- all these pre-graded coins get special labels and often FR/ER designations. Whenever I have a choice I always pick the standard labelled ones.

Yes, less “suspect”. 

Yeah I understand what you are saying. When I collect a set I like to have all the same labels, I have two complete sets of graded coins with the standard brown labels & others I'm collecting now QB two ozers for example have a specific label I like.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

7 hours ago, goldmember44 said:

Not that I know of 🙂

This was the main landing page for the coin, linked from an email. It’s likely that this was the US page, and they display differently based on IP address. 

There were lots of interesting historical coins as well. I didn’t buy any, but I would personally be much more likely to buy such a coin direct from the mint so I would have receipt to establish some level of authenticity. I have no ability to identify fakes, so would be willing be pay more for a historical coin that presumably the mint would not sell if fake. 

6AF8624D-7E9C-4F99-AEDC-B47B7C8A4F16.jpeg

B3187310-3AB1-41C0-8372-1D37747E60EA.jpeg

80E83A14-1646-4D0B-AF98-D6C2117B91A1.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Lr103 said:

Not that I know of 🙂

This was the main landing page for the coin, linked from an email. It’s likely that this was the US page, and they display differently based on IP address. 

There were lots of interesting historical coins as well. I didn’t buy any, but I would personally be much more likely to buy such a coin direct from the mint so I would have receipt to establish some level of authenticity. I have no ability to identify fakes, so would be willing be pay more for a historical coin that presumably the mint would not sell if fake. 

Ahh...that makes sense. I've seen these graded presentations being made available to the American market before, one can often spot them in eBay listings. So I think this is just another case of that, rather than any new effort to bring masses of graded coins into the UK market. 

• 1 month later...

Interesting seeing the mintage figures for the new QB Greyhound coin. All proofs have higher 'maximum coin mintage' from the limited edition figures - unlike previous years. Likely to compensate for the ones they'll be sending to NGC for grading....

InShot_20200917_095832939.jpg

4 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

My understanding is that the RM have only sent off the Mayflower (£2) and War (£5) coins for grading at this stage. Both will be due for dispatch in early November 2020.

I only assume as they haven't done this with the previous 8 proofs. Max coin mintage was always the same as the limited presentation.

So I reckon the excess will likely be for the NGC grading. 

Archived