• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal mint + NGC link up

Lr103

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, GrahamDiamond said:

If you only collect 70 graded coins ( Regal Stacker ) this makes it a lot easier and less stressful maybe ? Coinsters.

My take is if a coin has almost all graded coins as 70 then 70 has no value. It is ONLY a high percentage of 69's that give 70 a good premium.  

1 hour ago, GrahamDiamond said:

If you only collect 70 graded coins ( Regal Stacker ) this makes it a lot easier and less stressful maybe ? Coinsters.  Regal will be able to ditch his Hammer and stop burying coins in his garden.

He won’t stop burying them. Didn’t you see the video when he buried a 2oz QB and it was 10oz when he dug it up? 

I really like the whole process of grading coins... What will you get, a surprise 70 for an older coin, the gamble you take. This I guess makes it easy if you want the easy 70 grade but I suspect some higer value or lower mintage coins will come with  hefty mark up. I guess they have seen that 70 grade coins can demand high premiums on some coins and want in on the action.

I am confused by the whole thing, to be honest. The only reason I can see anyone wanting one of these is for the special label. 
I collect PCGS but do have a few NGC coins now. 
I should admit that I have bought one of these. It fits into my ‘unusual NGC’ collection and as it’s the first version from the Mint/NGC I think it’s worth the £97.50.

11 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

I should admit that I have bought one of these. It fits into my ‘unusual NGC’ collection and as it’s the first version from the Mint/NGC I think it’s worth the £97.50.

I must admit even though im not keen on this becoming a thing I am thinking along the same lines..

7 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

7 hours ago, Madstacks said:

I must admit even though im not keen on this becoming a thing I am thinking along the same lines..

I bought one (silver) for this reason as well, but I don’t envision purchasing other graded commemorative £2 coins. 

6 minutes ago, Jimmock said:

Aww go I'll admit it. I just went and bought one aswell.🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑

I’ll wait a couple of years and buy one for less than the issue price of a raw one....that’s the plan anyway.

4 minutes ago, BrumChris said:

An interesting but not a surprising development. RM wants all the income streams possible. They've gone to the effort of making a special NGC label so I think its fair to say this is likely to be here to stay.

You can’t really blame them when they see 2 oz gold coins in a 70 selling for more than £20,000. I guess they feel that should be their money.

Just now, Shinus73 said:

You can’t really blame them when they see 2 oz gold coins in a 70 selling for more than £20,000. I guess they feel that should be their money.

Not at all, particularly given their financial situation. The current profit making on the secondary market won't be allowed to stand. Not least because it drives the sellout and return situation that we've seen since Una. Totally risk free for a flipper. I thought they'd up the mintages to flood the market but I guess this will work in a similar way.

I’d still rather grade my own and take a chance, I suppose this depends on the coin for some people.

I’m a bit of a rebel, so won’t be buying my graded coins direct from the mint.

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

Just now, MancunianStacker said:

I’d still rather grade my own and take a chance, I suppose this depends on the coin for some people.

I’m a bit of a rebel, so won’t be buying my graded coins direct from the mint.

Another one that likes the thrill of the gamble...

7 hours ago, Numistacker said:

The number of slabbed coins is 500 (typically less than 20 of these coins would be slabbed as they are among the most unpopular so 480 other buyers will have 1 slabbed coin.

I was hoping you were going to respond to this post as you inevitably have good insight here and you most definitely didn't disappoint. I have to admit I'm surprised the amount generally submitted of coins like this is so low. I suppose seeing your YouTube vids and seeing how many people seem to want a perfectly graded coin gave me the impression more of these were being submitted. I appreciate that you dropped this number in here as I genuinely thought it was much higher. That pool of coins jumping instantly from 20 to 500 is clearly quite dramatic and a big swing - definitely removes what was special about it.

5 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

I was hoping you were going to respond to this post as you inevitably have good insight here and you most definitely didn't disappoint. I have to admit I'm surprised the amount generally submitted of coins like this is so low. I suppose seeing your YouTube vids and seeing how many people seem to want a perfectly graded coin gave me the impression more of these were being submitted. I appreciate that you dropped this number in here as I genuinely thought it was much higher. That pool of coins jumping instantly from 20 to 500 is clearly quite dramatic and a big swing - definitely removes what was special about it.

Remember that what RM will try to do is make this a normal every day thing. These graded coins if gold will have a big cost uplift and people will be able to buy a 70 by grading with me at £250 less than the mint price or buy a 70 grade coin from Coin Connection and then grade it themselves with a choice of label. Maybe people will want the really nice modern sovereign label that is available exclusively from me? My point is that regular commem. issues like Mayflower are NOT those that are sought after by collectors and I have always said 95% of issues will be losers financially only to be collected if its the deign you like etc... The hot issues like Music, Engravers, Special Sovereigns etc etc will be sold out in 5 mins including the slabs and people will happily pay £500 extra for the slab if they think that it will be £5,000 more in the secondary market. It will not stop what the RM want a part of but it will create an even bigger interest in NGC slabbed coins It may to some extent affect PCGS if collectors focus on NGC. It might have an impact on how many Eltons I am sent to slab but my guess is that they have done this because they see the overall levels of interest and growth in the market over the last 5 years and can see its a market they can profitably service.

Archived