• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Glove question

Cscratchy

Seen a fair number of Youtube videos and I always find it strange, why a number of them where cotton gloves to handle bullion silver coins or more often circulated constitutional US coins. I've seen folk do the same with bullion gold too. Correct me if i'm mistaken, but I don't see the point, bullion is bullion not suppose to have numismatic value.Just an observation of mine that's had me in a quandary. Are these folk being posers or overly cautious or both?

Thinks that make you say hmmm!

Personally unless the coins have been in circulation then i treat all them with respect.
i have seen basic silver coins appear for sale on this forum for over £27 - this is well above spot but they didn't have finger marked faces - if you maul your coins they will not stay in as good condition as they could have. This will reflect in the price you might get. So it is up to you. i would rather keep my coins in the best condition i can. 

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

It's down to personal choice I suppose - which coins you have and why you have them. But - if you had a choice of 2 coins for the same price would you buy the pristine one or the irreparably damaged one? Most would choose the former as they tend to take care of their collections/investments.

If you are reselling them on to dealers do they care, if you have handled them with or without gloves, does it matter for circulated coins? Bullion doesn't hold numismatic value why bother if you are going to handle them by the rims? I plan on passing my coins on to my kids to fight over when I'm gone, I don't want to pass them on dinged, but i do want them to enjoy them

15 minutes ago, Cscratchy said:

If you are reselling them on to dealers do they care, if you have handled them with or without gloves, does it matter for circulated coins? Bullion doesn't hold numismatic value why bother if you are going to handle them by the rims? I plan on passing my coins on to my kids to fight over when I'm gone, I don't want to pass them on dinged, but i do want them to enjoy them

No gloves it is then.😁

15 minutes ago, Cscratchy said:

If you sell to dealers then you will get the bottom book price. If you want to get a better price through this and other private venues, then keep the coins in good condition.
ALL coins have some numismatic value. 

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Just saying i think it's a bit of OTT or OSD to be wearing gloves with ciruclated coins especially if they have patina and toning. I don't wear gloves but i don't miss handle them to the point they are dinged and I do put them in capsules when I can. US quarters and lower no sense to capsulate them, I have some half dollars that are and some aren't. Think its more of personal preference. I prefer to buy untainted coins too, so fair enough.

1 hour ago, Cscratchy said:

It does not matter in my opinion for circulating coins. 

However if you are selling to a dealer they certainly do care when you are talking about modern bullion such as 5oz American the beautiful silver bullion or Queen’s Beasts.

They will pay well above spot for these coins if they are in good condition, and around spot otherwise. They are examples of unlimited mintage (in the year of issue) bullion that could be bought at bullion prices when issued, and develop a premium over time.  Some bullion does hold numismatic value, but only if cared for properly. 

I still have a few I handle regularly though 🙂

• 1 month later...

Coin roll hunters and american junk silver hunters usually wear gloves because your hands will get absolutely disgusting handling piles of coins.

i buy junk silver from estate auctions. I handle wearing gloves so I don’t cause further damage to coins before knowing what’s there and because I’d really not like to spend an hour scrubbing the black gunk off them from old coins.

On 16/09/2020 at 18:33, sixgun said:

If you sell to dealers then you will get the bottom book price. If you want to get a better price through this and other private venues, then keep the coins in good condition.
ALL coins have some numismatic value. 

That is very true and you want to spend a couple extra seconds ensuring that they stay nicer.

If you keep them in good condition then you can earn some premiums back at the end.

Shiny + Well Handled = More £££

However with circulated coins, you can be the judge 🙃

£1 a pair from Wilko (uk). 

95% cotton 

5% elastic

No brainier really at that price. Not the largest of sizes but unless you have hands like shovels then should be ok.

(even if you don’t use them for silver, they’ll look great at your next magic trick!!)

A6034260-BBC4-4CAB-A3ED-EF561A0E602D.png

With circulated coins I don't see the point, but with new silver coins, I would wear cotton gloves, I have a dragon coin that I left out and handled it without gloves and let others touch it (did this on purpose to see how it would react), after 18 months it has toned badly due to the oils from the skin and I guess dirt from hands, the others that are not handled directly are ok.

Numismatics like toned coins, especially circulated ones, they say it adds more value to it. Great i've some well circulated silver Morgans and Peace dollars, that I'm going to put in my pockets. Franklin and Walking Liberty 50 cent coins are so small in comparison. Haven't figured out the best British equivalents yet either.

In response to your original question. I wear gloves on my YouTube videos because I've got ugly, rough working man's hands. When my hands take up 50% of the screen I'm sure people don't want to see the cement under my nails or my cuts, blisters and calluses 😀

Archived