• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

If you were looking for even more reasons to stack physical…

sstrrs

if the "carrington event" of 1859 happened now it would be absolute mania. I'm sure Dr. Michio Kaku from the history channels series "the universe" has been pushing the american government at the time to protect their power stations and transformers for such an event. 

Many preppers have indeed got protection for some essential electrics by making a faraday cage.

1 hour ago, Madstacks said:

if the "carrington event" of 1859 happened now it would be absolute mania. I'm sure Dr. Michio Kaku from the history channels series "the universe" has been pushing the american government at the time to protect their power stations and transformers for such an event. 

Many preppers have indeed got protection for some essential electrics by making a faraday cage.

This is something I've known about for a while, and I've often wondered what would happen if some solar or other event took out our comms technology for weeks or months until we got it all back up and running. It would make a pandemic look like a hiccup.

I've seen articles before about various governments being told by various parties to protect power stations and key infrastructure, that it's only a matter of time… but I've never made a mental connection with money and banking and modern cashlessness. The video did a good job on bringing some focus on that and bringing attention to the fact that it's only a matter of time until this happens again and that, in all mathematical probability, it will actually happen very soon.

My understanding is there is quite a lot of provision for this in the power grids, with devices across the network that absorb/cut network to mitigate the impact.  They are the same used to protect against lightning strikes.  Individual, non-wireless devices would not be affected as they are too small to absorb enough radiation to damage them. 

2 minutes ago, Martlet said:

My understanding is there is quite a lot of provision for this in the power grids, with devices across the network that absorb/cut network to mitigate the impact.  They are the same used to protect against lightning strikes.  Individual, non-wireless devices would not be affected as they are too small to absorb enough radiation to damage them. 

The issue is the unknown amount of energy that would be conducted (or is it inducted or induced???). It doesn't need to be a very huge amount of energy hitting the atmosphere and every electric device you have will be conducting energy across their circuit boards, memory chips, batteries in ways they're not supposed to and the device is f****ed.

Think of all the devices you have at home, at work, at shops, at logistic/transport hubs that we all rely on becoming unusable at the same time. Got a freezer full of food?? Not for much longer.

Imagine if that effected a whole country how disruptive that would be.

Now imagine it hit a whole continent or was prolonged enough to hit all parts of the globe.

Ok so what will my 1 oz of silver do for me when my neighbor has a loaf of bread I need... ? Especially if my neighbor has no idea of the "worth" of silver before the "event"?

Since my neighbor cant look up the value of silver and associate it to anything it is absolutely worthless to them. I could wander around looking to see who will take my 1oz of silver but then probably end up starving. Heck my Dan Marino PSA 9 RC is worth more right now then an ounce of silver....

Its not like there will be a local "store" set up to take PMs for food/water/shelter because the "owner" (hopefully) is smart enough to keep that to themselves.

People will panic and only accept something that is worth something to them at that time. Who then sets the PM price?

Yeah horde the PMs keep them until it gets stable but I dont see what any PM will do for me if a larger portion of the population has no idea of the worth and the part that does will probably gouge the hell out of it to keep until the event resolves itself.

22 minutes ago, QStack said:

The issue is the unknown amount of energy that would be conducted (or is it inducted or induced???). It doesn't need to be a very huge amount of energy hitting the atmosphere and every electric device you have will be conducting energy across their circuit boards, memory chips, batteries in ways they're not supposed to and the device is f****ed.

Common devices are too small to induce much of any residual energy getting through, and most are shielded anyway (to prevent emission of EMF).  Example, computers, servers, are metal cased and earthed in civilised parts of the world. The risk is to power.  And satellites - they are toasted. If you had a TV connected to a long aerial that might get a nasty power spike.  

2 hours ago, Madstacks said:

Talking of Faraday cages, my bedroom is actually in a Faraday cage. 

The joys of living in a building with an interesting past. Luckily it's age means that it doesn't block all signals and I can get WiFi okish (probably via the windows)

44 minutes ago, HighlandTiger said:

Talking of Faraday cages, my bedroom is actually in a Faraday cage. 

The joys of living in a building with an interesting past. Luckily it's age means that it doesn't block all signals and I can get WiFi okish (probably via the windows)

I would preffer older places in general, some houses going up near here seemed to be almost fully made of wood! 

• 2 weeks later...

Electro-Magnetic-Pulse or EMP can be devastating to all electronics.
This may have been weaponised to knock out military stuff and of course sensitive electronics in some military kit is "radiation hardened" to withstand this but not our domestic and consumer electronics. EMP doesn't affect biological entities so we are safe but your smart phone and LED TV might go pop.

Archived