• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

All! Beware of fake gold graded coins in fake holders

bft6969

How do you tell if a slabbed coin is a fake? 

Take the 1oz American buffalo 2011-W. I've just submitted the unique number on the pcgs website and it came back verified. Can you share the distinguishing features you are using to recognise the counterfeit?

Indeed.  Two weeks ago, I messaged an eBay seller who had a few coins for sale.  One of which was a US Trade dollars that was very obviously counterfeit.  

I messaged him to say it was counterfeit and the reply back was “who do you thing you effing are the eBay police”.  

I strongly suspect he knew what he was selling, and I reported the counterfeit and it was removed.  

People do all sorts of things to make their sales look genuine, so thanks for posting. 

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

14 minutes ago, Booky586 said:

Take the 1oz American buffalo 2011-W. I've just submitted the unique number on the pcgs website and it came back verified. Can you share the distinguishing features you are using to recognise the counterfeit?

Hi Booky586 , 

So far, I've seen many of the counterfeit slabbed dated 2011 - W buffalo's . I'm not sure why the 2011 W buffalo's. My own experience handling enough buffalo gold coins, I can just spot the quality just looking at the pictures. I don't know how to tell fake slabs, but as for the buffalo's I can tell by looking at it. 

But here's some legit pictures of real 2011-W buffalo in PCGS holder. 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (11).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

2011-w-proof-one-ounce-gold-american-buffalo.jpg

Yes, I see now, thanks for the extra information. It's easier to see the difference between genuine and fake coins by comparison.

I used to think buying slabbed coins was a safe option, but I've come to realise that it's much harder to check if one is genuine. You can't measure it's diameter, thickness or weight accurately without having to break the coin out, which defeats the object of buying slabbed in the first place.

22 hours ago, Booky586 said:

You can't measure it's diameter, thickness or weight accurately without having to break the coin out, which defeats the object of buying slabbed in the first place.

That is why I purchased a Sigma Metalytics Verifier, which can read most coins through the slab using one of the accessory wands.   Why people slab common bullion coins is beyond my understanding but I guess there is a market for them.

I was talking to a guy a couple of weeks ago about gold and he showed me a photo of his gold stack and he had a fake 1oz gold ngc graded coin in there that i could tell was fake right away. So i let him know that it was a fake. But he had the coin to long to return it through ebay so i told him to open a case with paypal and i think he got his money back

6 hours ago, Abyss said:

I was so tempted to buy 1 oz Gold Britannia bar for absolutely ages but in the end because it did not fit my strategy I avoided the purchase.

I agree on the gold in assays. My temptation is a 1oz Geiger. Lovely bar but in reality it doesn't fit my strategy ☹️

Looking for 1981 and 1983-1984 GOLD Ghanaian coins

• 2 weeks later...

Came across this terrible fake the other day myself! I thought to myself at the time, this coin looks really wanky for a Perth mint coin! I screenshot it to share with my son as a buyer beware message in case he was purchasing coins by slab grades....

6ECBDD5C-452F-4125-B31E-37988B34AC3F.jpeg

A74A7FDC-FAFA-4C10-9500-267DA1A880B3.jpeg

• 1 month later...

New type of fakes I see last time on ebay. All pictures very unclear, however on picture with queen you can clearly see fake coin. I'm not sure why they made so unclear pictures, maybe to avoid ebay rules and eBay Money Back Guarantee.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by FabulousLunar

This thread is the reason I won't touch slabbed coins. Every year the fakes get better and better, and I strongly believe that within 5 years fakes will be indistinguishable from the real thing unless you break open the slab and check the coin.

Just wait until 3D printing gets out of it's infancy and into its element. 

1 hour ago, HighlandTiger said:

This thread is the reason I won't touch slabbed coins. Every year the fakes get better and better, and I strongly believe that within 5 years fakes will be indistinguishable from the real thing unless you break open the slab and check the coin.

Just wait until 3D printing gets out of it's infancy and into its element. 

It depends on coin. I don't think we gonna see indistinguishable fakes for proof modern coins and bullion coins made by Perth Mint for example. Just because technology is too complex. And too easy to find that out. As for old coins we already have such fakes.. I don't want to be unfounded but 2 years ago I read on biggest Russian numismatic forum topic where expert said that NGC graded coin very likely was fake. And I can believe in that, as it is obvious that Russian expert have much more experience in Russian coins than American expert. It was gold coin made from real gold, but it has huge numismatic premium. That was a reason why I decided to skip old coins. Too risky.

• 4 weeks later...

My first post here....Thank God for this forum and for bft6969's post. I just almost got taken by the fake buffalo mentioned here on Craigslist. https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/clt/d/oak-lawn-gold-buffalo-coin/7236421934.html I was moments away from meeting up to purchase this when I got suspicious. The seller offered to sell it to me for $73 under spot and I wondered why he would not just stumble into any coin shop. That is when I found this thread and decided to investigate further.

It seems there are too many coins with the same PCGS number out there.  

PCGS company cannot verify the authenticity of the coin. 506885.70/81852632

https://www.pcgs.com/cert type in this number 81852632 and you get "Notice from PCGS Management: If you own the item with this certification number, please contact Stephanie Marine at 949-567-1296 for an important message."

Here is one for sale with the exact same PCGS number for $2600. https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-American-Buffalo-9999-Fine-Gold-PCGS-/392968098714 probably also a fake

Anyway. Thank you thank you thank you bft6969.

This internet company uses the same PCGS number as well... https://www.moderncoinmart.com/2011-w-50-gold-buffalo-pcgs-pr70-dcam-proof-70-deep-cameo.html 

Edit:Getting to the bottom of it....

Here is the end of the trail. Same PCGS number shipped direct from China Gold plated Tungsten  

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/American-Buffalo-2011-fine-gold-plated-1-5-grams-999-gold-graded-PF70-one-troy/619403465

Edited by WMLB
Getting to the bottom of it

• ChrisSilver changed the title to All! Beware of fake gold graded coins in fake holders

@WMLB , 

I'm glad my post helped you . Just always be careful . 

Great job on doing more deep research to get to the bottom of it. 👍

"If it sounds too good to be true, then its probably not" 🙌 

🍻

Not sure if anyone has seen the new PCGS slabs, but they have updated them to be even more secure than they have previously been. Has anyone had any experience with the new slabs?

Here's some info if any of you are not up to date on the new features in their packaging https://www.valuewalk.com/2020/10/pcgs-nfc-insert-challenges-counterfeiting/

Also, we posted a video on how to use their app with the new slabs. 

150 by 50 logo.jpgBullion Exchanges is a precious metals dealer located in the heart of NYC's Diamond District. We buy and sell gold, silver, platinum, palladium, rhodium, and more. Browse our inventory and you will find that we carry from top mints and private refineries from all over the world. Shop online or stop by our storefront!

https://bullionexchanges.com/ --- 30 West 47th Street, Store 1, New York, NY, 10036

On 14/09/2020 at 20:38, Booky586 said:

I would imagine they use the same number from real graded coins on the counterfeit 

• 4 months later...

Noticed that dragon on ebay. Seller has very high reputation with no negative feedback and lots of real coins on sale. However dragon in fake slab looks fake to me. Here is images and image of original perth mint coin from same seller in original slab. Difference can be clearly seen. Beware. Those fakes looks better each year.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

There are (coin) accessory producers like Lighthouse that have in their offer slabs, so you could label and slab your own coins if you like consistency in storage /presentation.

I don't know if that's the case here...