• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver investing

CollectorNo1

Hi

Is silver a good investment?????

It's very confusing for a newbie like me....I've watched many many videos on YOUTUBE...and to be honest its abit disheartening as most people who post videos talking about silver,coins,bars,Britannia's, maples eagles etc have a negative view about these coins and investing for the future....Proofs,Bunc,set etc..no one seems to have any positive information on what to buy???? Most are saying what not to buy and these are the ones mentioned above.

I wont mention any names but there are alot of YOUTUBERS posting videos on silver and they dont come across very positive about what to collect..is it going to be a good long term thing..so it does get very confusing....

I would like some positive advice..especially on what to buy for the future...the way I see it..Silver and Gold is rising and the big players are saying invest..where the people on YOUTUBE do not come across the same way......

So is there anyone out there who is positive about collecting and what to collect and invest in..be great to hear some positive comments...and is it worth really listening to these people on YOUTUBE?????????

15 minutes ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Hi

Is silver a good investment?????

It's very confusing for a newbie like me....I've watched many many videos on YOUTUBE...and to be honest its abit disheartening as most people who post videos talking about silver,coins,bars,Britannia's, maples eagles etc have a negative view about these coins and investing for the future....Proofs,Bunc,set etc..no one seems to have any positive information on what to buy???? Most are saying what not to buy and these are the ones mentioned above.

I wont mention any names but there are alot of YOUTUBERS posting videos on silver and they dont come across very positive about what to collect..is it going to be a good long term thing..so it does get very confusing....

I would like some positive advice..especially on what to buy for the future...the way I see it..Silver and Gold is rising and the big players are saying invest..where the people on YOUTUBE do not come across the same way......

So is there anyone out there who is positive about collecting and what to collect and invest in..be great to hear some positive comments...and is it worth really listening to these people on YOUTUBE?????????

First think is it collecting investment or stacking investment?, for stacking generic and deals matter above anything, meaning holding cash, buying loss leaders, buying damaged or generics for the cheapest items to buy...you can find deals on junk silver and less then .999 pure...if its gold you can do the same.

Some buy tubes of new releases and then sell most of them for a profit to pay forthe couple they hold, this is quick risky, some sellers are selling from pre orders they get and then if theres a delay on them getting their coins their reputation gets hit for having to delay to their customers...you can buy weight in sterling ware like plates etc but then watch for weighted items, get it wrong and youre paying silver weight for concrete.

Collector investor will look for what they love but keeping an eyefor that deal to flipwhen it comes around, in that case its good to become friends with you local coin shop for good deals, then id say to never go over 3/4 of your cash to have the money for deals to flip, nothing worse then having a deal and no moneyor having to sell for a loss to buy more, it eats your profit...slabbuyers are long termers who hold forever offlip to get ever better graded coins, if your saving for life or your kidsthis one works but some major slabbed coins have fallen dramatically as some have risen....i personally collect and stack, when a deal comes along i buy to hold, when i see what i like i keep...this halves you quick returns but can make you some while you hold others long term.

Thankyou very much......

I believe the videos on YOUTUBE are at least 2,3 years old..not many videos upto date  I.E 2020

And the spot value has gone a bit crazy this year..

I'm a long term investor..I buy with the intention of keeping them for 5-10 years hoping the price will be alot higher than now...

Buying as much as I can afford now and sitting on them hoping to make a profit...tbh it's part of my pension fund....who knows what silver will be worth in 10 years..I hear $50-100 an oz in the next 3-4years..but the fact is..no one knows...its a gamble but worth taking in my view..

Are you in the uk or USA??

David

We know that ultimately, the money in your pocket will be worth markedly less next year and the year after and the year after that. Indeed, a smaller recession in 2008 demolished your currency. This one will be much worse. It is likely that most prices will rise to soak up the extra currency in circulation including silver.

6 hours ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Thankyou very much......

I believe the videos on YOUTUBE are at least 2,3 years old..not many videos upto date  I.E 2020

And the spot value has gone a bit crazy this year..

I'm a long term investor..I buy with the intention of keeping them for 5-10 years hoping the price will be alot higher than now...

Buying as much as I can afford now and sitting on them hoping to make a profit...tbh it's part of my pension fund....who knows what silver will be worth in 10 years..I hear $50-100 an oz in the next 3-4years..but the fact is..no one knows...its a gamble but worth taking in my view..

Are you in the uk or USA??

David

Usa but former brit ex pat...pensions shouol never be more then 20% pms....15% is better to me...if its inveating then just silver generics...some even dont touch metals but just etfs the premiums you pay for ases and brits et  can come off the back end when you sell but the main dealers can gouge with premiums so watch out and learn from here the deals worth the risk and not paying 10% premiums for bullion

9 hours ago, CollectorNo1 said:

So what your suggesting is...long term investment is the way to go??

Me, personally, I trade shares but never go into a share just to make a quick profit. I go into a share to make a quick profit but only with shares I can live with for some time if it blows up in my face. Same with silver. A quick turnaround is great but if it doesn't happen then the silver should be appreciated as a thing of beauty. Kind of like investing in art and antiques.

12 hours ago, HillWalkerDundee said:

Me, personally, I trade shares but never go into a share just to make a quick profit. I go into a share to make a quick profit but only with shares I can live with for some time if it blows up in my face. Same with silver. A quick turnaround is great but if it doesn't happen then the silver should be appreciated as a thing of beauty. Kind of like investing in art and antiques.

That does mean premiums over bullion or weight based generics...depending on money if just for holding then ingots help like 10oz, kilos, 100oz bars, less numbers to hold and less premium over spot but same at sell...harder to sell 100oz bar then 10 x 10 oz but they still sell.

I think/hope so. I personally think silver is still undervalued compared with gold for example.

I bought some bars a few months ago and was lucky that the price has gone up quite a lot since then,  but that’s only evened out the VAT that was payable on buying the bars in the first place! (So seems need to raise by 20% just to break even!) my plan was to stick it away for 10 years but I am tempted to sell too. Not sure what to do

On 13/09/2020 at 22:49, CollectorNo1 said:

My advice is that you need to treat silver investing as a long term investment, probably up to 20 years. As the cycles between the highs and lows are along those timescales.

Hi

My plan is to keep for at least 5 years..I started with 1oz silver coins but have diversified into some sets and proof £2 coins and sets..I want to start buying silver again..I have heard that the technology is lot better now for silver coins from 2018 onwards,especially the Maples  but living in UK o prefer Britannia's and going for the 2020's hoping we have included the same technology to prevent milkspots and toning...???

Regards David

51 minutes ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Hi

My plan is to keep for at least 5 years..I started with 1oz silver coins but have diversified into some sets and proof £2 coins and sets..I want to start buying silver again..I have heard that the technology is lot better now for silver coins from 2018 onwards,especially the Maples  but living in UK o prefer Britannia's and going for the 2020's hoping we have included the same technology to prevent milkspots and toning...???

Regards David

I wouldn't advise holding proof sets long term, unless you are a collector.

Unless you intend to flip them for a small profit after the initial release, you'll find they will only go down in value. Many of us have found out that the hard way.

If you want silver for a long term holding investment, buy as close to spot as possible, and certainly no more than £3-£4 over spot for a silver bullion 1 Oz coin.

Hi

It's very hard in the UK to buy silver £3-4over spot..dont know where you live but here it's very rare to get that price.

Ebay prices are very high..even the professional institutions....Royal mint London mint Hattons etc...all sell silver 1oz for around £35 if your lucky....I have no coin shops or dealers near me... Sad to hear proofs are not woth collecting...I've seen proofs from 10-20 years ago that didnt cost much back then selling for very high premiums..so thought it would be a good long term investment....?

Dave

15 minutes ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Hi

It's very hard in the UK to buy silver £3-4over spot..dont know where you live but here it's very rare to get that price.

Ebay prices are very high..even the professional institutions....Royal mint London mint Hattons etc...all sell silver 1oz for around £35 if your lucky....I have no coin shops or dealers near me... Sad to hear proofs are not woth collecting...I've seen proofs from 10-20 years ago that didnt cost much back then selling for very high premiums..so thought it would be a good long term investment....?

Dave

Well i wouldn't be paying around £35 - that is way too much. i realise the dealers have to add VAT so i would make an order with one of the European dealers while you can still get them into the UK free of custom's VAT.

A Maple is 26.88€ (£24.58)

https://goldsilver.be/en/1-oz-30-gr/27-1-oz-silver-maple-leaf-2020.html

Yes there is shipping so make a biggish order whilst you have chance.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Thanks for the info...here in the uk if I buy 10 Britannia's for around £27-28 which I've found is the cheapest the total with vat n postage is £350

I get frustrated when watching YOUTUBE how cheap you can pick up 1oz coins in the USA compared to here in the UK. 

David.

2 minutes ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Thanks for the info...here in the uk if I buy 10 Britannia's for around £27-28 which I've found is the cheapest the total with vat n postage is £350

I get frustrated when watching YOUTUBE how cheap you can pick up 1oz coins in the USA compared to here in the UK. 

David.

If you are seriously wanting to invest and make a Silver purchase, why not just pay for a Premium Membership here on the Silver Forum-

https://www.thesilverforum.com/store/category/2-premium-membership/

In the last hour you missed out on these coins from just one seller- now all sold- you cannot afford not to buy a membership, can you? 

678D6F29-57A2-41FF-AE5C-CA68465F0BF6.thumb.png.2e043246d2d0757fc2d440fb7273dadb.png

1 hour ago, CollectorNo1 said:

David.

Ivebought a fewhere stateside, yesthey are cheaper but the sellers hit you with silly premiums after what they pay for them...still have to getover 20% to make any profit when you sell after fleabay fees or lcs purchase, ases going for $35 inc shipping on fleabay then equals $31after ebay and paypal fees then your actual cost of envelope and shipping and your true finished amount is more like $28-$29 but to buy even on deals you are not getting them for anything close to that.

4 hours ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Hi

Dave

I live in the UK and Its very easy to buy silver on ebay under spot.  Sterling silver that is. You just need to bide your time with the auctions, and occasionally send an under spot offer to a seller, you'd be surprised just how many times they accept it for a quick sale. I'm not going to give away all my secrets ;) , but its very much doable. learn your hallmarks, (plenty of websites to help), and you'll never have to worry about fakes, (which is rife in the bullion coin world) 

Don't just look in coin shops. Check out antique centers, many have coin cabinets, and they can often be slow changing prices to match movements in spot price. Hence the reason last week I got a 129g Panama 20 Bolboas Coin for £70, which at the time was about 15% under spot. I've also had gold sovs at spot prices at times as well.

Hi

A couple of months ago I was getting Britannia's for around  £21-26...but now it's hard to find them on ebay for under £31-34...I do keep an eye out for a bargain...I have a couple of antique shops in my area so will have a look..I prefer Gold tbh...Victorian sovs.. I have a few and that's my main future investment but,its not always possible to buy as much as I would like due ..of course to the price..

Someone suggested about buying silver from abroad..USA or Europe..but when you factor in paying as most wont except credit or debit cards and wont wire transfers..then shipping..its negligible how much you save compared to buying in the UK. 

Can I ask..I was thinking about silver bars...and regular poured silver bars longterm..what do you think..the only difference I see is silver bars are shiny and have some design to them and poured silver is just a lump of silver...and your paying more for the silver that's been polished etc..just paying for the packaging,designs...at the end of the day..an oz or 10 oz of silver no matter how it comes is going to be the same in value??

Regards David 

Archived