• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Morgan Dollar Quest

Peacemaker

Hello all, I have decided to document the quest in thread form aswell as on YouTube, some people just dont like to watch hours of videos so easier to follow on all platforms if it interests you. I am 46 into my 104 goal, almost half way there but that is still a long way away. So aswell as YouTube, I will be updating this thread and starting it with a shot of my entire date run of 46. I am also making a 3 part video of all the coins with part 1 already up.

Hope you enjoy!

20200912_093352.jpg

The hunt is on!

Follow my Morgan dollar quest and watch other video's on my YouTube channel: Peacemaker

Thanks Peacemaker.  This is a very interesting journey and thanks a lot for this!

I am glad to see its not just me that doesn't have a collection of silver dollars that are all 'blast white' as may eBay readers like to describe their Morgans! 

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

4 hours ago, dicker said:

Thanks Peacemaker.  This is a very interesting journey and thanks a lot for this!

I am glad to see its not just me that doesn't have a collection of silver dollars that are all 'blast white' as may eBay readers like to describe their Morgans! 

Best

Dicker

Cheers bud, I will be honest, I prefer a nicely circulated, naturally aged and uncleaned Morgan over the "blast white" haha

The hunt is on!

Follow my Morgan dollar quest and watch other video's on my YouTube channel: Peacemaker

20 minutes ago, DarkChameleon said:

I have a friend who owns a local coin shop so i get to see rarer morgans, only have a half dozen myself but have all the britannias minus one....i suppose its what you dont see often that interests you.

Dont get me wrong, Morgans ain't hard to come by, even in the UK, its a beautiful coin, designed by a British engraver, during the wild west era, who wouldn't want some of that history!

The hunt is on!

19 minutes ago, Peacemaker said:

Cheers bud, I will be honest, I prefer a nicely circulated, naturally aged and uncleaned Morgan over the "blast white" haha

Likewise.  I think the “blast white” just means they they have in many instances been dipped.  Not my thing.  

Today I passed the half way point of my quest with 7 new dates and 1 upgrade today, some excellent dates to add to the collection.

1879P

1879O

1879S

1882P (Upgrade)

1888S! 657,000 mintage

1902P

1903P

1904P

Currently 53/104

20200915_113245.jpg

20200915_113323.jpg

The hunt is on!

6 hours ago, dicker said:

Good you managed to get the 1888-S

Not that easy to find in my experience.  

Best

Dicker

Yes not an easy one to find at all, very lucky to have got this one

The hunt is on!

29 minutes ago, ShropshireTom said:

Very cool target! Out of curiosity, is there a preferred place to source these in the UK or do you just monitor dealers, eBay here etc?

No there is no preferred source, anywhere I can get them really bud

The hunt is on!

1 hour ago, g33x0r said:

You'll have to add the new 2021 Morgan's that are coming out next year to your list :)

Oh yes definitely, looking forward to them, earlier this year there was talks about minting some at the Carson City mint, still exists but as a museum only so it will be interesting to see if that happens, up to now it looks like there will be Denver, San Fran and Philadelphia minted ones with the possibility of some kind of privy marks to commemorate the Carson City and New Orleans mints 

The hunt is on!

1 hour ago, SpotGoblin said:

Those are some lovely examples, loving the video content keep it up.

Once you're finally done, are you considering going on a quest for peace...dollars that is? ;) Sorry I couldn't resist.

Cheers bud, appreciate it.

Haha good one, Peace dollars I did collect but I sold most and have just sold my 1921 Peace dollar to fund the Morgan collection so I dont think I will be re visiting.

The hunt is on!

3 minutes ago, dicker said:

Nice coin.  Do you think it is artificially toned because the toning appears to be fairly uniform across the entire coin?

Best

Dicker

Cheers bud, yes, it is also much darker in hand, black and blue in hand and the reeding is completely black and uniform too.

The hunt is on!

Thanks - I think when you have handled a lot of Morgan’s you get a good feeling for when the toning doesn’t look right.  Photos are always too hard for me to judge.  Needs to be in my hand!

Best

Dicker

I find it really difficult to take a photo and get the correct representation of the actual toning on a coin. It's all down to the white balance and if this is set to auto on your camera then the results are going to be hit and miss for accurate toning colour.

Anyone bought a coin based on the photo and the colour and toning looks completely when it arrives?

Archived