• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New guy with Questions

snipersam

Hello everyone. 

I tried this in the premium section but didn't get any replies. 

So is this the right section to be asking a few "stupid" question gold buying relates? 

I know for experienced buyers this will be like sleep time lol but everyone has to start somewhere right. 

Thanks! 

I've made my first purchase yesterday and opted with Baird & Co (London). 

And its only x2 1gr bars. Basically just dipping my toe to see how the transaction went, should be delivered this morning according to the Royal Mail app. 

One question I have is are Baird and Co the best company to buy from? 

A colleague in work has been buying for a number of years but he always uses the Royal Mint, they do however command a premium. 1gr gold bar is roughly 20 quid more. 

I just find it all very confusing, obviously I want to make the most for my money. 

I also understand that now isn't the best time to be buying but I'm looking at this journey as more of a pension pot than making a quick pound. 

There are various dealers you can buy from for eg bullion by post, Atkinson's, Chards, and many more Inc the 2 you have mentioned. 

Most of my purchases have been from this very forum. Good idea is to get your g bars from Baird and co and as you become more familiar with the metal and your strategy you can always keep a look out for the best prices. 

A fellow forum member has also kindly set up the price comparison site below.

http://goldprice.eu5.net/

Welcome to the forum 

This is the best site to have a look at all the different dealers and their prices, it was made by a forum member @Darr3nG

Added 0 minutes later...
Just now, Tn21 said:

There are various dealers you can buy from for eg bullion by post, Atkinson's, Chards, and many more Inc the 2 you have mentioned. 

Most of my purchases have been from this very forum. Good idea is to get your g bars from Baird and co and as you become more familiar with the metal and your strategy you can always keep a look out for the best prices. 

A fellow forum member has also kindly set up the price comparison site below.

Welcome to the forum 

Great minds think alike!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

5 minutes ago, snipersam said:

Thanks! 

I've made my first purchase yesterday and opted with Baird & Co (London). 

And its only x2 1gr bars. Basically just dipping my toe to see how the transaction went, should be delivered this morning according to the Royal Mail app. 

One question I have is are Baird and Co the best company to buy from? 

A colleague in work has been buying for a number of years but he always uses the Royal Mint, they do however command a premium. 1gr gold bar is roughly 20 quid more. 

I just find it all very confusing, obviously I want to make the most for my money. 

I also understand that now isn't the best time to be buying but I'm looking at this journey as more of a pension pot than making a quick pound. 

Baird are a good reliable company and their prices are really good too .

Remember smaller pieces of gold have higher premiums , so for example you would pay less premium for a 1oz gold coin than you would pay for a 1/10 or 1/4 oz coin .

in terms of timing of the market I would not worry about that too much , no one can predict future prices, so I would buy when I want to buy and sell when I feel like selling , that is only my opinion though .

Guys thanks alot for the replies. It's much appreciated. 

I'm really excited about building a nice wee portfolio. I have a few quid sitting in a bank account and I'm really struggling not to buy more 😂.

I am right in saying prices are high right now? 

2 minutes ago, Nick1368 said:

Baird are a good reliable company and their prices are really good too .

Remember smaller pieces of gold have higher premiums , so for example you would pay less premium for a 1oz gold coin than you would pay for a 1/10 or 1/4 oz coin .

in terms of timing of the market I would not worry about that too much , no one can predict future prices, so I would buy when I want to buy and sell when I feel like selling , that is only my opinion though .

Good advice as far as I'm concerned 👍🏻

Yeah I aslo noticed that when comparing prices on Bairds site. If I bought a 5gr it was like getting 1gr for free as it was roughly the price of x4 1 gr bars. 

We all have to start somewhere it’s never to late if you are in it for the long term stacking. I purchased my first sovereign 2 years ago and never looked back. I always used to struggle saving money month to month, not anymore. I have managed to build a nice little stack purchasing a little each month. You always find some good deals on here. 

1 minute ago, Kussilver said:

We all have to start somewhere it’s never to late if you are in it for the long term stacking. I purchased my first sovereign 2 years ago and never looked back. I always used to struggle saving money month to month, not anymore. I have managed to build a nice little stack purchasing a little each month. You always find some good deals on here. 

Thanks for that and thanks for pointing in the sales direction too. 

We never know what's around the corner but my plan is definitely long term. 

9 minutes ago, Kussilver said:

Top of the page under buy & sell and then under U.K. / Europe. Good luck.

Actually still can't see it 🙈🙈🙈🙈 is it maybe like other forums were you need to have a certain amount of posts before you can see the sales section? 

6 minutes ago, snipersam said:

Actually still can't see it 🙈🙈🙈🙈 is it maybe like other forums were you need to have a certain amount of posts before you can see the sales section? 

This link link will take you to the latest listings https://www.thesilverforum.com/latest-listings/

This one is for the root https://www.thesilverforum.com/forum/115-uk-europe/ as you are UK

if you are looking to spend a small sum at a low premium,
keep an eye on Hatton Garden Metals latest stock
They often have Austrian 1 Ducat coins at 3% over spot, (when they have stock)

So as each coin contains 3.44 gms of fine gold
you would be currently paying £50.27 per gram
as compared to £57.43 for a 1 gram bar from Bairds

https://www.hattongardenmetals.com/buy/austrian-gold-ducat-coin#pi1

5 minutes ago, KRO said:

if you are looking to spend a small sum at a low premium,
keep an eye on Hatton Garden Metals latest stock
They often have Austrian 1 Ducat coins at 3% over spot, (when they have stock)

So as each coin contains 3.44 gms of fine gold
you would be currently paying £50.27 per gram
as compared to £57.43 for a 1 gram bar from Bairds

https://www.hattongardenmetals.com/buy/austrian-gold-ducat-coin#pi1

Thanks for that. Out of curiosity do people care if they are receiving a nice shiny coin or one that looks "aged"? 

1 minute ago, snipersam said:

Thanks for that. Out of curiosity do people care if they are receiving a nice shiny coin or one that looks "aged"? 

I'm a stacker, I don't, so long as the gold is there at a low premium.

4 hours ago, KRO said:

I'm a stacker, I don't, so long as the gold is there at a low premium.

Did you order it online or purchased in store i use to buy in store from www.sharpspixley.com bullion in London but then they told me about Barid&Co & cheapest price i cloud find. i didn't purchase from them yet im new to gold bars stacker myself looking to buy 10 oz im saving up for it 

I can garantee that 24carat in next two years from will be $3000/oz

My advice is not to sell untill you can purchase double the amount you have in gold 

Archived