• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

AIR B&B going public - soon??

What do we think about investments in Air B&B? I have been looking at diversifying my portfolio to a growth sector stock & this really ticks my boxes (I said I would invest in Amazon & alibaba, back in the day but did not!!!). Lets face it anything on the Nasdaq is largely overpriced & I am not interested in risky speculative risk stocks. I also think the dividend ETF's are over priced so have been sitting on cash for a potential crash. 

However I have learnt that Air b&B are going PLC soon. I can really see this as a bargain growth stock given its a very bad year for them, so could mean bargains galore! I can also see it diversifying as it seems to be going into entertainment & other tourism sectors, maybe even travel & culture?? I am not sure when this will happen, but it might be this year. Would it be worth waiting or to just get straight in as I really see this as a similar model to Uber. I especially like it as they dont actually own property, its just a service & a flipping great one at that.

We have used the company at least 20 times now, saved a fortune & have a miles better time than booking a hotel or guesthouse!! We had a 2 bed flat, with a garden & parking etc. in North Tenerife for 4 weeks last year and I think it only cost £450! i think the hospitality sector will be hit hard, especially with a second wave, so a company like this has the potential or really cleaning up over the next 5 years!!

I think these kinds of investment are very risky at the long term.

Being Dutch I still remember Hyves.nl. In 2010 Hyves had more than 10.3 million accounts. These correspond to two thirds of the size of the Dutch population.  Hyves was than sold to TMG for € 43,7. Then Facebook entered the Dutch market and more and more users left Hyves and switches to Facebook. In 2013, the TMG announced to reform Hyves from a social network platform to an exclusive gaming platform and there investment was basically gone.

Long story short, its to easy for a online platform to get replaces by another platform. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/09/2020 at 23:36, Robbin said:

Being Dutch I still remember Hyves.nl. In 2010 Hyves had more than 10.3 million accounts. These correspond to two thirds of the size of the Dutch population.  Hyves was than sold to TMG for € 43,7. Then Facebook entered the Dutch market and more and more users left Hyves and switches to Facebook. In 2013, the TMG announced to reform Hyves from a social network platform to an exclusive gaming platform and there investment was basically gone.

Long story short, its to easy for a online platform to get replaces by another platform. 

Thanks for the comment. 

I have never heard of Hyves, I assume that was a SM network (like Interia is in Poland). A lot of SM networks went under then, remember My Space & even Googles Google+. If Google cant even get it right then it was clearly not a great sector to invest into! Having said that I have my eyes on Pintrest as that should do very well. 

Not sure its viable to compare Air B&B to a Social media network as they are very different. however, I would say its the other way round Air B&B is the Facebook model & the Plum guide (for example) is Hyves, so it may very well buy out the smaller competitors in the next 10 years. Also its really giving hotels & such like a really hard time (its done pretty well even with year with the 'pandemic'), mainly as it does not own property & all the costs & liabilities that come with them (especially since trip advisor). We have stayed in Air B&B properties in many different countries now, its cheap, unique and miles better than most the hotels we have stayed at, which In my book is a fabulous business model to invest in for the mid term.

I will have to look closely at it as it does have competition from Trip advisor, Booking.com and the likes and I can also see some of the hotel giants (Holiday Inn etc.) adopting a model like this maybe. Would it be a risk, yes, but as per a junior mining stock its upside potential is massive, making it worthwhile in my book. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 21/10/2020 at 18:21, HGr said:

A bad time for them to go public I would say, I will keep an eye out for this one. Thanks! 

Yes it certainly is - certainly worth at least buying 1 share. Ticker symbol ABNB. 
Its on the Nasdaq which is not ideal but its growth should theoretically be very good. 
Even if the markets tank, when we get back to normal it should prosper. 

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested, this IPO'd last week. 

Im not investing as its over priced, I shall watch it & purchase only if it goes down. 
Lockdown 2.0 USA would be a good target. Its gonna happen Jan I think if at all. 
Especially if thier reports are terrible, which they will certainly be after this year!! 

Market crash is probably coming thats the best opportunity. 

This company has never turned a profit in its 10 years tenure.

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

Archived