• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

COA with no authentication numbers?

kurama

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to silver but enjoying the hobby. I picked this up the other day (1998 Britannia) and was drawn to the fact it had a COA, but wondered about it's true authenticity as there is no number present.

Does the certificate and indeed the Westminster pouch carry any value at all? What do you look out for with a COA and presentation boxes/pouches etc? Or is it all about the Silver itself? 😁

Cheers

s-l500.jpg

56 minutes ago, BrumChris said:

Doesn't appear to be a Royal Mint COA. My guess is a bullion coin from RM that a third party has added a COA to.

I agree. Generally only a proof or limited edition coin would come with a COA, and that COA would be from the manufacturer, not a 3rd party. The Westminster thing wont add any value - it's a 1998 Britannia, 90,000 made, so it's not uncommon, as long as it didn't cost you silly money then you're fine!😀

3 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

I agree. Generally only a proof or limited edition coin would come with a COA, and that COA would be from the manufacturer, not a 3rd party. The Westminster thing wont add any value - it's a 1998 Britannia, 90,000 made, so it's not uncommon, as long as it didn't cost you silly money then you're fine!😀

Cheers. No not silly money, £31 - so no extra hair lost there! I think I've figured out what it is...the symbol at the bottom of the certificate is taken from the logo from these guys - https://www.westminstercollection.com/ So it's simply a certificate from a 3rd party - as you say 🙂 

• 10 months later...
On 08/09/2020 at 16:53, kurama said:

I think I've figured out what it is...the symbol at the bottom of the certificate is taken from the logo from these guys - https://www.westminstercollection.com/ So it's simply a certificate from a 3rd party - as you say 🙂 

It sure is, I recognise these instantly, but had to double-check the first time.

I actually think it is ludicrous to issue a "Certificate" missing a signature and / or the name and contact details of the party allegedly certifying it.

Sadly, I have noticed in increasing number of customers who are not happy when they receive something which does not have a certificate with it. This trend has probably been created and exacerbated by Coin Marketing Companies, such as Westminster, London Mint Office, etc. I say sadly because I think some of these customers have become institutionalised, and are now in need of being nannied.

Apart from that, these third party "certificates" have little or no value, with a few exceptions...

Some of them contain hilarious errors such as stating the gold content of the (silver) coin they accompany, or vice versa.

I noticed an LMO "certificate" years ago stating its coin was issued by The Congo, when it was actually issued by its neighbour with a confusingly similar name "Democratic Republic of Congo".

Chards