• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1oz Gold QB Greyhound of Richmond

Rll1288

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, richatthecroft said:

1/4 Gold premium +39%. 😯 

Hope no one minds if I channel my inner @5huggy

giphy.gif

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

What do you think about the depiction of the greyhound?

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIF.bzCBbLXRHKHYuMJJwoQcIg%26pid%3DApi&f=1

I think he looks a bit cowered. Not very majestic.

I understand the beasts are all in the same position more or less, so you couldn't have used something like this:

leaping greyhound hood ornament Stock Photo, Royalty Free ...

Or like this:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.PEZmYh029PbmYlNOu28a8gHaLR%26pid%3DApi&f=1

But does it really need to be such a humped back?

It reminds me a bit of this animal, rather than a greyhound:

Stromkabel angeknabbert: Ratte legt Hauptbahnhof lahm - n ...

4 hours ago, silenceissilver said:

What do you think about the depiction of the greyhound?

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIF.bzCBbLXRHKHYuMJJwoQcIg%26pid%3DApi&f=1

I understand the beasts are all in the same position more or less, so you couldn't have used something like this:

But does it really need to be such a humped back?

It reminds me a bit of this animal, rather than a greyhound:

Stromkabel angeknabbert: Ratte legt Hauptbahnhof lahm - n ...

The tail as well certainly adds to this comparison. In fact the entire lower half of the design does look very rodent-like. 

But I do like this design overall. All of them have long tails🙂

The designer should have studied dog behaviour to understand that a tail in that position is showing beta or even omega behaviour. Cowering indeed. Submissive and subservient like it has been scolded. The tail needs to be raised and alert. Also, the tail is too long, it should be half the length.

2 hours ago, Lr103 said:

The tail as well certainly adds to this comparison. In fact the entire lower half the design does look very rodent-like. 

But I do like this design overall. All of them have long tails🙂

I didn't even notice the length of the tail but you are right. I also agree the upper half is nice, the head is done well. I also understand why they cowered him, because if he was more stretched and majestic, the whole greyhound would have to be more zoomed out and the head would be pretty small compared to the other beasts. So I do acknowledge it was a difficult task but I struggle to believe this was the best possible solution.

1 hour ago, silenceissilver said:

I didn't even notice the length of the tail but you are right. I also agree the upper half is nice, the head is done well. I also understand why they cowered him, because if he was more stretched and majestic, the whole greyhound would have to be more zoomed out and the head would be pretty small compared to the other beasts. So I do acknowledge it was a difficult task but I struggle to believe this was the best possible solution.

I agree. The Greyhound is a very lanky animal. In terms of the design (humped back)  I think it was to compress the animal to meet the aesthetic qualities seen in the rest of the series. I think I prefer it to the Lion of Mortimer and White Horse.

4 hours ago, katmonkey said:

I agree. The Greyhound is a very lanky animal. In terms of the design (humped back)  I think it was to compress the animal to meet the aesthetic qualities seen in the rest of the series. I think I prefer it to the Lion of Mortimer and White Horse.

I guess the underlying problem is that, as it seems to me, the guideline was you have see his paws touching the edge as you do with all the other beasts. You could probably only have avoided the humped back by zooming in and not showing his legs, at all or by giving him an unnaturally curved back. So it's not the designer's fault but that of the greyhounds being so lanky. So probably the tail is the only thing you can really blame on the designer.

However, looking at the other beasts, even that tail, visible at the left and right of the shield, might have been a guideline, too. Probably they just didn't consider how to fit in a lanky greyhound into the guidelines to begin with. Or they didn't want to alter them for only one beast.

I won't get a golden greyhound with that premium but I will definitely get a silver greyhound. And I only have the Unicorn, so far.

I am a bit on the fence with this one. It does look a bit rat like. I think its the tail and the position of the head.

Will still buy one though just not at that price. £507 for a 1/4 leave off.

Rav

12 hours ago, Ravoma said:

I am a bit on the fence with this one. It does look a bit rat like. I think its the tail and the position of the head.

Will still buy one though just not at that price. £507 for a 1/4 leave off.

Where did you get this price from? £507 seems excessive.

Compared to the prices at Atkinsons for the White Horse £440.

4 minutes ago, Ravoma said:

I've never used this dealer before but they seem expensive. -

They have the White Horse priced at £497. Atkinsons price is £447

Archived