• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2018 Reverse Proof Gold Libertad (1 oz) - Should I have it graded?

ProjectBullion

Hi everyone,  hoping for some informed opinions on the issue of grading coins.   

2018 was the first year the gold Libertad was minted in a reverse proof with a low mintage of 1,000 for the 1 oz.

Should I get this graded and what are the cons/advantages?

Really appreciate any/all input. 20190223_211434.thumb.jpg.cc6b0e620ba504a8e719790b82498721.jpg

If you are confident your coin is a potential PF70 candidate, the premium of limited releases definitely higher but not sure if 1k mintage for 1oz gold proof is considered as rare I do have a MS70 2017 1/4oz gold BU which has a mintage of 500 sitting here but since Libertad collectors are still a niche group the demand is not as high as you would like to.

Omne aurum quod rex valūtās

1 hour ago, HyHy said:

If you are confident your coin is a potential PF70 candidate, the premium of limited releases definitely higher but not sure if 1k mintage for 1oz gold proof is considered as rare I do have a MS70 2017 1/4oz gold BU which has a mintage of 500 sitting here but since Libertad collectors are still a niche group the demand is not as high as you would like to.

Absolutely agree with what you say here @HyHy 

And to add to this, in terms of modern Proof coins,  the market appears to dictate that if a coin 'hits the goalpost' at a 69 then this appears to be extremely detrimental to its value, raw examples have a similar or have more value, 69's appear to me to be great value.  Hammer time? 

To answer @ProjectBullion's question- personal choice- but undoubtedly the magical 70 grade will add value to a popular and sought after coin, so its important to discriminate on what you send in for grading- I prefer to keep my coins raw these days but that's my choice, but that's not to say that in the future that I wouldn't grade the more rare coins in my collection, particularly prior to liquidating!  

I have a NGC 2017 1/2 Onza PF69UC I bought pre-graded and as far as I can see under a loupe is that it hit the goalpost because of some surface detritus (likely a bit of dust), the vendor confirmed afterward that he didn't conserve it so therefore, to give your coin the best chance it might be prudent to conserve with NCS prior to grading.  

I also have in my collection two other coins- a 5 Pound and a 2 Pound Sovereign which baffle me as to why they achieved 69's and conversely,  I have also previously owned a Proof Coins that were designated 70 grades that I would say ranged from tenuous grades at best, to clearly, wrongly designated 70's.  

Buy the coin, not the grade!

@HyHy Nice one on the 2017 MS70 1/4 Onza- mine hit the goalpost!  The question is however, who owns a 300 mintage 2017 1/10th Onza MS70 Libertad 😂

Here's the Current NGC/ PCGS census:

IMG_2106.thumb.JPeg.8615936463e3ab4299abed2f1ebe31e1.JPegIMG_2108.Jpeg.37b824fe975cbc2e2fb1cc80d9d2a0dd.Jpeg

wow,  thank you all for the detailed response and insight, very much appreciated!

I have zero experience with collector coins outside of this lucky purchase in early 2019.  I have no confidence in my ability to determine if it deserves a 70 grade or not.   On that note,  i'm going to keep it safe in its current capsule.

thanks again!

Archived