• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Pros and Cons

Patnol

Depends on the coins as even proof coins untouched might not get top grade and that can have a negative impact on the coins value

Sometimes  raw untouched coins are a great buy 

Saying that i am sending some for grading 

Speak to @Numistacker on here he is a fountain of knowledge and really helpful just dont flood/overload him  

On 28/08/2020 at 20:34, Patnol said:

Hi Guys

As a complete novice to collecting should i keep my coins in the original packaging, or have them graded and slabbed

Regards

Patnol

Hi Patnol, 

Since you are the collector, you should determine and decide your own style preference of collection. 

Firstly, both choices presented are different presentations of the same product. The first choice is the product with the original packaging and documentation from the mint. If your intent is to sell in this presentation, attracts buyers with intent of acquiring your product in its original presentation or lowest cost in mind, since it is assume bought directly from the mint.  

The second choice is the product process and graded on the product condition perfectness into a slabbed presentation. Now your product is benchmark to a commercial scale standard on a supply demand market value. 

Unless the collection is for personal pleasure, conditions of the product do matter generally for selling above market value and conditions of the product doesn’t matter generally for selling below market value.

Good luck in your collection!

I started collecting 4 years ago and (although I set off in one direction) I’ve continued to change paths as my knowledge expands. Firstly it was brilliant uncirculated versions of the grubby circulated coins received in my loose change. I saw no sense in graded coins whatsoever but I was only a novice. I progressed to silver proofs, followed by gold proofs including a few graded coins.

I store my Royal Mint boxes and COAs in empty shoe boxes which clutter up the place and I keep my coins in their capsules elsewhere for easy viewing. My gold coins are in a vault so they’re the only ones not easy to view. However a box and COA are no indication of a raw/ungraded coin’s condition whereas coins graded by professional companies such as NGC or PCGS should satisfy both buyers and sellers alike as to true condition. You can go on their websites and enter serial numbers of graded coins to see official pictures of the slabbed coins. This allows you to compare the NGC/PCGS images against slabbed coins for sale by other people picturing the serial numbers. I believe there are unscrupulous individuals who make fake slabs or copy real NGC/PCGS labels so always buy from trusted companies or people on this forum with strong sales pedigree if you find yourself taking the slabbed route.

There’s no right and wrong whether you concentrate on new issues or encapsulated coins. Just enjoy the hobby and see where it takes you eventually.

Archived