• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

China Newbie

JJM

Howdy. I currently live in China (plan on moving back to the States in a year or so) and am interested in getting involved in coin collecting and stacking.  I've recently been watching a lot of Youtube videos but believe that I might be in over my head, especially here where counterfeits might be common, and don't want a hobby that will be a frustrating and losing adventure.Which brings me to ask a few questions- If I purchase Silver of Gold Pandas at places that seem more reputable, thereby paying more than if they were purchased at some markets, would these likely continue to increase in value? I heard the older ones (prior 2008ish?) are more rare, but do not know how respected the coins are. Also, silver and gold seem to be a little higher right now than in recent years,  if there is a dip/correction, will coin prices decrease? I have a myriad of questions but don't want to exhaust the forum and know that I might not even be asking the right questions...If there are any resources you could point me to, or general counsel you could provide, I'd appreciate it. 

Thanks,

JJM

• Founder & Administrator

Hello and welcome to The Silver Forum :) 

I’ve moved this to the welcome new members section as I felt it was more of a welcome topic. If you find that your questions are not answered here please do ask specific questions in the silver section regarding the pandas.

Recent pandas have a high mintage but are still very much collected. They may increase in value but their price is also closely linked to the underlying silver price.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Hello and welcome! I am fairly new here too, but I live in HK. Assuming you live on the Mainland, you need to check carefully how much gold (especially) you will be allowed to take with you when you go back to the US (I believe only 50g per person per exit) - as you probably know PRC worries about capital flight and has stringent FOREX regulations, and that affects gold too. Maybe Pandas are treated a bit more leniently, as they are designed mostly for export in any case. In general you might consider whether you prefer to start stacking by ordering online to the USA, or (if we are talking about larger amounts of gold) by opening an account with one of the HK brokers who physically allocate gold so you can stop by and pick it up when heading back.

Happy stacking in any case! :)

7 hours ago, UncommonSeal said:

u need to check carefully how much gold (especially) you will be allowed to take with you when you go back to the US (I believe only 50g per person per exit)

Thanks for the welcome All. 

UncommonSeal- Yes, I had considered that. I too heard 50g is the limit without declaring but with coins there is supposed to be more flexibility, one of the reasons I am considering the coins. In my experience, finding out exact information has inevitably proved difficult at times here, so I think maybe trying to stick around that 50g would be all that I'd risk.

7 hours ago, JJM said:

Thanks for the welcome All. 

UncommonSeal- Yes, I had considered that. I too heard 50g is the limit without declaring but with coins there is supposed to be more flexibility, one of the reasons I am considering the coins. In my experience, finding out exact information has inevitably proved difficult at times here, so I think maybe trying to stick around that 50g would be all that I'd risk.

Good stuff mate. If you ever find yourself in HK give me a shout ;)

Archived