• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Question: Vanguard - What does "unrealised gain/loss" and "total gain/loss" mean?

And all the other positions in the portfolio look normal?

have you held this fund before and sold at a loss so it’s recording something historic as well?

does total current portfolio value reflect the sum of closing values or does it factor in the ‘total gain/loss’?

maybe drop a message on their help function as quickest route to solving as doesn’t make sense at first glance!

Hi,

I think it may help to look at the list of transactions but typically Unrealised P&L might be caused by

(1) Fees charged by your provider or the fund (but it would seem high to say the least)

(2) Withholding tax on dividends where you don't have relief at source (i.e. have not filed a W8BEN - Unlikely as it is a UK fund and you are in the UK)

(3) A corporate action on the fund - but I think this is unlikely (they are relatively rare)

(4) You have traded in and out previously and the P&L is a result of a previous loss

I would definitely give fund manager a call.  Mistakes do happen, but I suspect there is probably something explicable here

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

18 minutes ago, Clockpuncher said:

And all the other positions in the portfolio look normal?

have you held this fund before and sold at a loss so it’s recording something historic as well?

does total current portfolio value reflect the sum of closing values or does it factor in the ‘total gain/loss’?

maybe drop a message on their help function as quickest route to solving as doesn’t make sense at first glance!

Everything looks fine, and it says "your investments returned to you: £518". I've never had any kind of investments before and my account with Vanguard is new.

It's probably some simple technical thing that I don't understand.

pop-up "columns explained":

1234.jpg

Did you make your investment in that specific fund on the date range shown?

otherwise I can’t see any reason for it to be showing a negative so would definitely drop vanguard an email.

ps - are you holding this in an ISA or pension? You’ve opted for accumulation units which means income gets reinvested in the fund - fine if it’s in a tax free wrapper but if not then you can end up paying income tax on funds you’ve never received in cash form as they were reinvested in the fund before they ever touched your account.

32 minutes ago, Clockpuncher said:

Did you make your investment in that specific fund on the date range shown?

otherwise I can’t see any reason for it to be showing a negative so would definitely drop vanguard an email.

ps - are you holding this in an ISA or pension? You’ve opted for accumulation units which means income gets reinvested in the fund - fine if it’s in a tax free wrapper but if not then you can end up paying income tax on funds you’ve never received in cash form as they were reinvested in the fund before they ever touched your account.

Yes, I put my first £2000 in on March 21st 2020.

It's an ISA I think; I moved £2000 from my bank account to Vanguard ISA and then clicked the "Invest Now" button to put that money into their "Life Strategy 100% equity".

Archived