• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

72% silver: do or don't?

JBrans

Right now I'm looking at a dozen coins that go for 15 euro weighing 25 grams containing 72% silver. That's (if my math is right) 10.8 euro for 18 grams of silver, coming at 0.6 euro per gram, which is below the current silver price of 0.74 euro per gram.

I'm hesitant because so far I have been collecting at least 92.5% silver coins. Does silver always get cheaper as it gets diluted, or is this a bargain I shouldn't let go? It seems strange that silver would lose value just because it is mixed with more base metals, it's almost like they're giving away silver because it's 'tainted'. 

Sorry if this is a weird question, I'm new to the world of silver stacking and could use some advice. So what are the pro's and cons, should I buy these, or do I keep my focus on high silver content and pay more per gram? Thanks.

Actually you are paying 15E for 18g of pure silver= 1.2E /g, the rest 28 % is worthless base metal

Calculating 72% from 15E is wrong (in my opinion), to calculate 72% from the price will mean that the price of silver should be = to the price of base metal 

9 minutes ago, daca said:

Actually you are paying 15E for 18g of pure silver= 1.2E /g, the rest 28 % is worthless base metal

Calculating 72% from 15E is wrong (in my opinion), to calculate 72% from the price will mean that the price of silver should be = to the price of base metal 

I guess you're right, it's not pragmatic to consider the base metals as part of the value. Besides the fact, would you recommend buying these? Do you own 72% or lower silver?

10 minutes ago, JBrans said:

My logic may be flawed at times but at least I'm not a compulsive buyer. I knew something wasn't right! Guess I'll look for a better deal. Thanks for the help, @daca.

👍

If its below spot I would - even as low as 40%. I can always turn it in to scrap merchants where I get 98-100% on spot. So just wait till it goes high enough to make worth scrapping. 

When spot was £11 - I bought kilos upon kilos of 50% - when spot nearly doubled - I cashed it all in... 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

I have to say that non-bullion doesn't interest me at all.

The idea that you can scoop up loads of sterling or pre-1947 coins and think that you can easily liquidate it for anything better than bought it for (in relation to spot price) is asanine. 

I'd much rather just continue buying a silver ETF. 

I've got about 5 kilos of old Franklin Mint sterling silver coins and medals that I'm about to take to a scrap dealer. It's always funny to see how people that love 90% junk silver have such a visceral hatred of sterling, which has a higher purity.

Archived